Halfway there...what's your WOTY?

Curious, with 2014 being halfway over, what is your wine of the year so far? Looking at my notes in CT, mine is a 2010 O’Shaughnessy Syrah Mt. Veeder.

Jerome Prevost (La Closerie) Les Beguines for bubbles. I’ll think of a red and white.

The one that immediately comes to mind is a 73 Sterling Reserve Cab.

Hard to say now but will probably have some contenders in a few months.

Red: 1979 Amity Vineyards Pinot Noir or 2012 Arnot-Roberts Trousseau North Coast or 1995 Joël Taluau Saint-Nicolas-de-Bourgueil Vieilles Vignes
Bubbles: NV Grongnet Champagne Carpe Diem Rose de Saignee Extra Brut
White: 2011 Sebastien Dampt Chablis 1er Cru Côte de Léchet or 2001 i Clivi Collio Goriziano 140 months Brazan

1959 Chateau Latour

Champagne: 1989 Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dam

Red: 1989 Château Pichon-Longueville Baron. Had one that was corked then opened another the next week that was exceptional.

Summer White QPR: 2012 Wilridge Estate Mélange Blanc

1989 Jaboulet La Chapelle

Hi Peter

Do you happen to remember which vintage? There is an indication on the label. It is abbreviated as “LC##”. I’m interested in this as a data point both for the vintage as well as the bottle time.

Thanks

Paul

My top two this semester have been:

2004 Arbois Pupillin Blanc Savagnin Vieux, Emmanuel Houillon / Pierre Overnoy - Ouillé

2004 Cornas La Geynale, Robert Michel

Best wishes for a successful second half to everyone.

85 and 91 Rousseau Chambertin. It was a pick em.

That reminds me, I had a 1991 Jadot NSG Boudots (thanks to a generous board member who opened it) which was glorious. I’ve foolishly looked past 1991’s. My experience is it’s not too late to correct that mistake…although the opportunities to find 1991’s today are awfully few in number.

2010 Peay Pinot Noir Pomarium

1988 Moët & Chandon Champagne Cuvée Dom Pérignon

Odd pick, but it was a '92 red Burg. '92 Leroy ‘Richebourg’. Was shocked at the quality given the crappy vintage. Another lesson in producer first…

3 for me:

2008 Shafer Cabernet Sauvignon Hillside Select
2012 Quivet Cellars Syrah Hulda Block Las Madres Vineyard
2008 Fairchild Cabernet Sauvignon George III

Dead heat:

95 Griottes-Chambertin, Rene Leclerc. Magnificent.

90 Hermitage la Chapelle, Jaboulet. Magnificent.

Not sure what is my WOTY

But i know it wasnt the 2012 caymus.

I’ve had some-off-the charts great wines at Bern’s this year, but within a realm of reasonableness, it would be this:

2004 Bernard Faurie Hermitage Bessards Meal

A remarkably pure, textured, seamless, silky wine that reeks of place.

A '75 Montrose last week was really up there, very pure and classy. I don’t know that it can overshadow a '96 Domaine Parent Corton Blanc or '85 Henri Bouzereau Les Chaumees from earlier in the year though, both were stunningly good. An '11 Henri Boillot Les Combottes was also remarkably good, but very young. Lastly, a '93 ESJ Syrah that David Bueker was kind enough to open did a lot to remind me just how good US Syrah can be when done right.