Fledgling MI Winery 10 year retrospective

This past Saturday Left Foot Charley opened the winery for a little party of friends and family with the following wines being poured from their library. There wasn’t a dog in the bunch but I will only comment on a few.
2004 Riesling dry – Seguin Farm OMP from Magnum (Last one known in existence). Has developed some nice complex flavors and has aged gracefully.
2005 Riesling Medium Dry – Craig Road OMP from Magnum (Last one known in existence).
2009 Gitali Brut Traditional LP
2010 Pinot Blanc – Island View Vineyard OMP
2011 Pinot Blanc – Island View Vineyard OMP
2012 Pinot Blanc – Island View Vineyard OMP
I’m a big fan of all LFC PB’s and give a slight edge to the 2011 from this group. This vineyard is farmed by Werner Kuehnis who is a perfectionist in every way. Production from the 1 acre patch was down in 2013 so if you want some, don’t wait too long.
2006 Riesling – Seventh Hill Farm OMP
2007 Riesling – Seventh Hill Farm OMP
2008 Riesling – Seventh Hill Farm OMP
All great wines and hard to single out a favorite (maybe the 2007)
2006, 2007 & 2010 Red Drive Cabernet Franc and friends. On release, these reds never seemed to wow me but with a few years in the bottle they are quite enjoyable.
2011 Cabernet Franc – Longcore Vineyard OMP
2011 Blaufrankish – MacDonald Vineyard OMP
2011 Cadia (Cab Franc/Merlot) – Engle Ridge Farm
2013 Chapter Nine Sparkling Pinot Blanc – OMP
Many thanks to Bryan and Jennifer Ulbrich for sharing these gems and for all the food and friendship that filled the room.
Cheers, Gary

Thanks for the notes Gary. I guess 10 years is too fledgling for me, it’s been probably 12 since I’ve been to Leelanau.

Fledgling?? I’d say they are very successful, especially in their brand new space. Good notes on a great winery!

Thanks Gary - one of my favorite American wineries -

Sounds like you should visit. I think you would find a lot of changes.
Cheers, Gary

I love it up there! Baby due in August so I won’t be able to go up there this Summer.

Just arrived in upper MI and couldn’t make the party. Sorry I missed you and it.

I, personally, think the LFC PB is the best wine available from Michigan. We go thru cases every summer.

Bummer, I’m in Troy right now, and would love to try these wines.