My Last Post was March 2013 - What Have I missed?

Greetings, Berserkers.

I’ve been on an extended WBM, but I think I’m back in the fold. My dedicated wine email address on yahoo has over 10,000 posts in it (yahoo counts to 9,999). When I “left” it was Rhys and Bedrock in domestic pinots. It was Rudy Kirawan getting busted (I still get Wine Spectrum’s catalogs, btw).

So what have I missed here? Any drama?

What are the hot lists I need to get on? I’ve kept my QC allocation going (Columbia Valley Red maxed every year), and I’ve taken wine all but once from Sanguis, but it looks like I’ve fallen off of everything else.

Welcome back. What regions, varietals and styles are you particularly fond of?

It used to be all domestic Pinots. These days, it is anything, though I’ve found myself migrating from West Coast wines to their French counterparts. My cellar has thinned from 1200 bottles to maybe 200 over the past five years, so I have room in all categories. QPR is important (not cheap, necessarily, but $50 +/- $20 is my current “sweet spot.”). Still love the Rhys. Still love the big Bedrocks, but like most evolving winos, I’m trending away from the big juicy fruit-driven extracted stuff. Wife still loves that, though.

As someone who spends way too much time on the board, let me point you quickly to some of the consensus favorites on the board over the last few years that seem somewhat in your category, in no particular order:

Calabretta Etna Rosso. Around $30, comes already aged (current release is 2004), every vintage is good, the wine reminds some of us of Piedmont reds, definitely a very old-school terroir type wine, some bottle variation is noted. Made from the grape Nerello Mascalese at high elevation on Mount Etna in Sicily.

Loire Chenin Blanc. Rapidly gaining popularity as a versatile white that can be drunk young or aged, is a hit with geeks and civilians alike (except maybe for the very leanest styled ones), great ones are available for $20-30. Huet is the reining champ (though not good comments about the 2012 vintage, see if you can find 2010, 2011 or earlier), but Chidaine, Foreau, Baumard and others have fans.

Loire Cabernet Franc. Complex, old world reds which feature deep red-to-purple fruit, and strong dimensions of herbs, tobacco and gravel. Roughly in the Bordeaux style category, but tending towards less size and more terroir. The Bernard Baudry lineup is most popular on here, and their wines range from about $16 for the regular Chinon to about $20-30 for the better ones, most notably “Les Grezeaux.” Moderately available, but they tend to sell through vintage to vintage and it’s harder to find back vintages – if you can find 2009 or 2010, those are terrific and have a bit more fruit along with all the Loire cab franc character.

Arcadian. Central coast producer who makes pinot, chard and syrah in incredibly long aging and elegant styles. It’s still one of the biggest head-scratchers how easily available these wines are at at such a reasonable price; you can buy directly from the winery with no waiting list and amazing discounts. TN: Arcadian Dinner with Joe Davis - Something old, something new - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

Carlisle. Perhaps the top dog in California zin and syrah at the moment. Amazing wines at very reasonable prices. Unfortunately, there is a several-year wait on the mailing list, though bits do trickle out to retail (keep an eye on Wine Exchange in Orange, CA for some that gets out there periodically).

Lanessan. Widely available $20 Bordeaux, and one of the few remaining QPR Bordeaux that is still made in more of an old school, less oaked style. 2010 Chateau Lanessan, Haut Medoc - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

Liquid Farm. A new producer out of Santa Barbara County making only chardonnay and a rose, all in a very lean, elegant, complex style. I’d say they have created more buzz than any new white wine producer in California the last decade; at Falltacular, they were what everyone (customers and people in the wine business) was looking to sample. TN: Liquid Farm Tasting - let's try everything you make and barrel samples! - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers Get in and get hooked while you still can.

Cabot. A producer making eclectic wines from cab/merlot/BDX blends to zinfandel to pinot noir to syrah from Humboldt County, up near the California Oregon border. You can order directly from the winery with no commitment (though they probably have some kind of club), and the prices are insanely reasonable, particularly when you buy on BerserkerDay. The wines tend to be elegant and balanced in style, and I think the Bordeaux wines could sneak into a Bordeaux lineup pretty easily.

Burgundy is the biggest WB fascination, but (a) there doesn’t seem to be a particular producer or wine (attainable and in your price range) that generates consistent discussion (maybe Chandon de Briailles? Jadot Clos de Ursules?), and (b) I’m not really qualified to say much about that area and would probably get heaped with scorn for venturing to say too much.

I’m sure I forgot many of other things worth mentioning, but I hope that is of some help in rekindling your interest and refilling your cellar.

For drama, search out the various Maison Ilan threads…and the self-exile of Bill Klapp.

Bravo, Chris!

Links for the lazy?

Time to hook a “U” Jay, things are popping now in California! [wink.gif]

Chandon des Briailles, Pavelot, Jadot wines from Beaune and Savigny les Beaune, Bouchard from Beaune, Chapelle Santenay.

But if you want to have a wine that is both BIG and very French in style, the place for you is Bandol - particularly, Tempier or Pradeaux.

Cab franc
Awfe

Jura is “in”. Almost.

Good call on the CDP, Chris!

[cheers.gif]

Just kidding, great summary there!

There were 796 babies stuffed in a sewage tank.

Otherwise, not much.

You ought to turn in your WB card for failing to make reference to large format bottles.

Is this an inverted Open Letter?

Omg, pathetic, how did I miss that!?!?

Todder should ban me! 2007 CDP can only be consumed en Magnum!

Only with sushi. You are safe from banning.

I tried to order them by date but I think they are mixed up, enjoy!

(these’ll keep you busy for a few hours…)

Anti Wine Flavor Elite? [scratch.gif]

As a self described “localvore” shouldn’t you be recommending he look up southern wine? champagne.gif