Coravin: Important Safety Notice

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Ken V
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1 Post by Ken V » June 2nd, 2014, 6:38 pm

Just got this by email. The most important part is "Please stop using the Coravin System until you receive the remedy package from us."
Dear Coravin Customers,

We hope that you enjoy using your Coravin™ Wine Access System. This communication follows up on our notification from February 2014 about updates to the Important Safeguards for the proper and safe use of the Coravin System.

As we told you in February, it has come to our attention that, in certain circumstances, wine bottles can burst when used with the Coravin System, presenting a risk of lacerations. We believe the likelihood of this occurrence is very rare since wine bottles are designed to withstand significantly greater pressure than the low pressure the Coravin System places into the bottle. Nevertheless, Coravin has now received seven reports of bottles bursting including one report of a laceration.

We have voluntarily reported these incidences to the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) in anticipation of a recall. We have submitted a Corrective Action Plan to update the Coravin System instructions and warnings and will provide all existing and future customers with a remedy package that includes a neoprene wine bottle sleeve for use with the Coravin System.

We have voluntarily stopped selling and shipping Coravin Systems until we can fully implement an approved Corrective Action Plan. We are hopeful that in the next 30 days Coravin will be receiving, processing and beginning to ship remedy packages to our customer base. Once we have received approval for the Corrective Action Plan we will begin shipping Coravin Systems containing a wine bottle sleeve. We hope this disruption will be over in July and apologize to you for the inconvenience.

In the interim,

Please stop using the Coravin System until you receive the remedy package from us.
And, please read our updated Proper Use and Important Safeguards Guide
which can be found in the FAQ section of Coravin's website.

We will communicate any further details or requirements as part of a follow on communication plan. If you have any questions or concerns about this communication, please don't hesitate to reach out to us directly at update@coravin.com or call 1-844-267-2846.

If you have given a Coravin System to anyone else, please forward this communication to them.

We appreciate your support and hope your Coravin System continues to change the way you enjoy, serve and share wine for years to come.

Sincerely,

The Coravin Team
Ken V @ s t o l @
The Fine Wine Geek
Click on the W W W button under my name to see my website.
"Don't be meek, embrace the geek." -Terry Theise
Twitter: @FineWineGeek

Jon Lawrence

#2 Post by Jon Lawrence » June 2nd, 2014, 6:50 pm

Looks like I will have to go back to drinking the entire bottle in one night.

Ron Kramer

#3 Post by Ron Kramer » June 2nd, 2014, 7:00 pm

I think this post deserves to be a sticky.

Brian Bohr
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Brian Bohr » June 2nd, 2014, 7:06 pm

I'm not particularly excited about the remedy solution - put the bottle in a Neoprene sleeve.
ITB (at least part time)

Ken V
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Ken V » June 2nd, 2014, 7:21 pm

Jon Lawrence wrote:Looks like I will have to go back to drinking the entire bottle in one night.
[youtube][/youtube]
Ken V @ s t o l @
The Fine Wine Geek

JKim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by JKim » June 2nd, 2014, 7:30 pm

So, let me get this straight. The action plan doesn't fix the actual issue of bottles breaking, but addresses the laceration possibility with a neoprene sleeve. However, your bottles can still break when using a Coravin. Awesome solution, Coravin team. So stupid. Refund everyone their money on your defective, potentially dangerous product.
Joe

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#7 Post by c fu » June 2nd, 2014, 7:50 pm

JKim wrote:So, let me get this straight. The action plan doesn't fix the actual issue of bottles breaking, but addresses the laceration possibility with a neoprene sleeve. However, your bottles can still break when using a Coravin. Awesome solution, Coravin team. So stupid. Refund everyone their money on your defective, potentially dangerous product.
lawsuit lawsuit lawsuit!
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: @clayfu.wine

Mike Stoneking
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Mike Stoneking » June 2nd, 2014, 7:59 pm

JKim wrote:So, let me get this straight. The action plan doesn't fix the actual issue of bottles breaking, but addresses the laceration possibility with a neoprene sleeve. However, your bottles can still break when using a Coravin. Awesome solution, Coravin team. So stupid. Refund everyone their money on your defective, potentially dangerous product.
The PR department shot down their first idea for a fix. A roll of Duct Tape.
ITB..............Someone has to drink all this damn wine.
Viva Berserkers!!

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Randy Bowman » June 2nd, 2014, 8:07 pm

Any bets the bottles that shattered were either dirt cheap flawed glass or contained sparkling wine.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Joe B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Joe B » June 2nd, 2014, 8:24 pm

This sucks. Actually, i have no plan on using the sleeve. Once they send it, it is up to the individual user.

If anything, this is going to force me to buy the 24 pack of capsules.

In fact, i am willing to buy peoples unused capsules at $5 each. Just to get them off your hands and keep you all safe. [cheers.gif]
J W@ll @ce
WOTY
2009 Shafer Hillside Select 98
2013 Realm To-Kalon 97

Nick Ryan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Nick Ryan » June 2nd, 2014, 8:36 pm

I assume you're being facetious. This whole incident is typical safety paranoia and nanny-state idiocy at its worst. Seven bottles have burst out of how many millions now opened with Coravin? Should we also force people to buy Kevlar-reinforced safety glasses with every bottle of Champagne so they don't take out an eye? Do they actually think a single person is going to put a freaking sleeve on every bottle they open with Coraving, let alone servers at high-end restaurants? What a farce.
http://sites.google.com/site/nryan4242/CellarPlannerV11.zip

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#12 Post by c fu » June 2nd, 2014, 8:42 pm

Nick Ryan wrote:
I assume you're being facetious. This whole incident is typical safety paranoia and nanny-state idiocy at its worst. Seven bottles have burst out of how many millions now opened with Coravin? Should we also force people to buy Kevlar-reinforced safety glasses with every bottle of Champagne so they don't take out an eye? Do they actually think a single person is going to put a freaking sleeve on every bottle they open with Coraving, let alone servers at high-end restaurants? What a farce.
Cannot tell if you are being facetious.

Millions of bottles? Ha. Let's say 50,000 units were sold, there are at least 7 known incidents. That's already a pattern. Hello products liability
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Randy Bowman » June 2nd, 2014, 8:54 pm

We have at least 10 wine reps and 10 winery reps using them on a daily basis. Add 10 or so winebars and restaurants using them here in Napa. Our last rep brought in 9 bottles for tasting, using the Coravin on each one, while complaining about the number and cost of cartridges he uses per week. I'd go with millions.

It's a moot point. Coravin has halted sales because of the exploding bottles.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by M.Kaplan » June 2nd, 2014, 9:02 pm

No glove, no love.
---Mark

Xavier Lavoipierre

#15 Post by Xavier Lavoipierre » June 2nd, 2014, 9:09 pm

Nick Ryan wrote:
"Safety paranoia and nanny-state idiocy"?! Seriously? First, the so-called "nanny state" had nothing to do with it. Coravin has "voluntarily stopped selling and shipping" the systems. Second, Coravin has "received" seven reports including one report of a laceration. That doesn't mean that numerous other bottles haven't also burst. Typically there are more incidents than reports. Besides, stuff like this is always "safety paranoia" until it happens to you.

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Anton D » June 2nd, 2014, 9:12 pm

Time to get my old D&D chain mail suit out of storage and face some danger!
Last edited by Anton D on June 2nd, 2014, 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anton Dotson

ky1em!ttskus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by ky1em!ttskus » June 2nd, 2014, 9:23 pm

They're sending everyone a wine koozie?

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#18 Post by c fu » June 2nd, 2014, 9:57 pm

Xavier Lavoipierre wrote:
Nick Ryan wrote:
"Safety paranoia and nanny-state idiocy"?! Seriously? First, the so-called "nanny state" had nothing to do with it. Coravin has "voluntarily stopped selling and shipping" the systems. Second, Coravin has "received" seven reports including one report of a laceration. That doesn't mean that numerous other bottles haven't also burst. Typically there are more incidents than reports. Besides, stuff like this is always "safety paranoia" until it happens to you.
they should probably do a voluntary recall, but I think they are thinking too much about $$$ to do the right thing. A sleeve isn't a fix, that's a stop gap. They'll either lose their money with a recall, but keep goodwill, or lose their money on a products liability suit when someone gets severely injured by the bottle bursting.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

GregT

#19 Post by GregT » June 2nd, 2014, 10:05 pm

I had a Flushmate contraption in my toilet tank. Apparently some of those sprung leaks (mine was one) and to solve the problem, the company mailed out bands that held the two halves together. Then a while later they decided to just send replacements. Nonetheless, apparently there was also class action suit because I got a notice that I may be entitled to some award.

Anyhow, that band is kind of like the Coravin sleeve - a first step and it probably worked but some customers just weren't satisfied.

Now if any customers are unlucky enough to have both a Flushmate and a Coravin, their lives must be hell. One blows up your ass and the other blows out your eyes. At some point, life just gets too hard. [shock.gif]
G . T a t a r

Jens Bordasch

#20 Post by Jens Bordasch » June 2nd, 2014, 10:13 pm

A BIG chance for Pungo now if they are clever...their product doesn't work with over-pressure...
Cheers,
Jens

Photo: 1899 Yquem

ChrisU

#21 Post by ChrisU » June 2nd, 2014, 10:53 pm

Excellent news! Buying the in-laws a Coravin immediately.
C. Ur$ini

Rick.T

#22 Post by Rick.T » June 2nd, 2014, 11:07 pm

ChrisU wrote:Excellent news! Buying the in-laws a Coravin immediately.
[rofl.gif]
T~@~n**d~y

Carlos Delpin

#23 Post by Carlos Delpin » June 3rd, 2014, 3:27 am

Don't see how a recall would help. The issue appears to be risk associated to faulty or weak bottles, not a Coravin product design issue per se.

Peter Tryba

#24 Post by Peter Tryba » June 3rd, 2014, 3:37 am

I'm curious to see the person willing and able to inject enough into a bottle of still wine to make it explode. Also, that must be one BAD ASS cork to stay in the neck while the pressure increases inside the bottle (brand new Nomacorc? Champagne?).
ITB
kidney fund: youcaring.com

scott c
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by scott c » June 3rd, 2014, 4:04 am

Jens Bordasch wrote:A BIG chance for Pungo now if they are clever...their product doesn't work with over-pressure...
Yup. I find it interesting that literally one of the first things the Pungo founders told me when I met them last year was that their product doesn't cause a build up of pressure and some day a Coravin was going to explode a bottle. If they knew that, it's impossible that Coravin didn't know that, in which case there should be a lot of questions regarding the liability of bringing a potentially dangerous product to market.
c 1 @ f f e e

"By serving the best, never the most, a host compliments both himself and guest, and compensates with additional enjoyment what he wisely limits in number of drinks."
-Julian P. ("Pappy") Van Winkle, Sr.

M A T T H A R T L E Y

#26 Post by M A T T H A R T L E Y » June 3rd, 2014, 4:11 am

Randy Bowman wrote:We have at least 10 wine reps and 10 winery reps using them on a daily basis. Add 10 or so winebars and restaurants using them here in Napa. Our last rep brought in 9 bottles for tasting, using the Coravin on each one, while complaining about the number and cost of cartridges he uses per week. I'd go with millions.

It's a moot point. Coravin has halted sales because of the exploding bottles.
There is absolutely zero chance a million bottles have been injected by a coravin
Last edited by M A T T H A R T L E Y on June 3rd, 2014, 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by David Glasser » June 3rd, 2014, 4:11 am

Peter Tryba wrote:I'm curious to see the person willing and able to inject enough into a bottle of still wine to make it explode. Also, that must be one BAD ASS cork to stay in the neck while the pressure increases inside the bottle (brand new Nomacorc? Champagne?).
This. I suspect the exploding bottles were due to holding the lever too long, perhaps combined with a "hot" argon capsule.

Nevertheless, from a liability and PR standpoint I don't see how Coravin could have done anything less than put out a safety warning and some sort of "fix" to mitigate risk. Greg Lambrecht's background is as a pharmaceutical rep. I bet he knew this even before talking to his lawyers. Sending out a neoprene sleeve is certainly less costly than recalling your entire production and offering refunds.

I wonder how many people will actually use the sleeve. I probably won't, as short bursts of gas seem to present a vanishingly low risk.

John Webber

#28 Post by John Webber » June 3rd, 2014, 4:32 am

It would be useful if they posted the wines that reportedly exploded.

Markus S

#29 Post by Markus S » June 3rd, 2014, 4:39 am

Hey, April 1st was a couple months back! champagne.gif
$ _ € ® e . k @

Joe B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Joe B » June 3rd, 2014, 5:02 am

John Webber wrote:It would be useful if they posted the wines that reportedly exploded.
Was thinking the same thing.
J W@ll @ce
WOTY
2009 Shafer Hillside Select 98
2013 Realm To-Kalon 97

Bill Moore

#31 Post by Bill Moore » June 3rd, 2014, 5:37 am

It'll be interesting to see how restaurants cope, as many of them have revised their wine programs to incorporate the Coravin. I suppose they could use the sleeves and just make sure not to pour anything in front of customers!
CT handle: Billigan

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by David Glasser » June 3rd, 2014, 5:46 am

This was just posted by Greg Lambrecht over on the eRP board. Public service, fair use, yada yada:

Hello all. Tough news for us, but we will recover. It was an upgrade of our warnings we felt was important to make. In the very few cases we have seen, it wasn't user error or the Coravin, but rather the bottle itself. Turns out, cracked, chipped, or flawed bottles can break during use of Coravin. I never saw this during my 10 years of development, but with the number of Coravins out there and the number of bottles accessed, we seem to be finding the very few bottles that are damaged enough they can break during access, but haven't complete broken from their original injury. Seems like 1:78,000 bottles fall into this category. The customers involved have been great, most sending us the bottles and their Coravin for analysis. Coravins have all been operating normally. The bottles had all been damaged or flawed before access. We are going to be getting sleeves to everyone as they really work. I can't thank you all enough for your support. More information as I get it.

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by David Glasser » June 3rd, 2014, 5:51 am

I hope this goes well for them. They seem to be handling it well. If they go under (which I doubt), those of us who own the gadgets will have to find a workaround for the argon capsules. I know I've seen that posted somewhere...

Ken V
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Ken V » June 3rd, 2014, 6:01 am

David Glasser wrote:This was just posted by Greg Lambrecht over on the eRP board. Public service, fair use, yada yada:
They'd better allow it. I only bought a Coravin because Parker endorsed it. Charlie, make a note to include RP in our lawsuit.

[snort.gif]
Ken V @ s t o l @
The Fine Wine Geek

Jacob Terrell

#35 Post by Jacob Terrell » June 3rd, 2014, 6:19 am

Nick Ryan wrote:

Exactly.

The problem is not the device but a faulty bottle. If anyone were to be sued (damn lawyers) it should be the bottle manufacture.

And I agree with your sentiment that this is just safety paranoia. Millions of bottles have been coravin'd and this is a pretty small segment.

amjohnstone

#36 Post by amjohnstone » June 3rd, 2014, 6:43 am

Xavier Lavoipierre wrote:"Safety paranoia and nanny-state idiocy"?! Seriously? First, the so-called "nanny state" had nothing to do with it. Coravin has "voluntarily stopped selling and shipping" the systems. Second, Coravin has "received" seven reports including one report of a laceration. That doesn't mean that numerous other bottles haven't also burst. Typically there are more incidents than reports. Besides, stuff like this is always "safety paranoia" until it happens to you.
Coravin's notice expressly references the CPSC, which suggests that they've been in discussions with the government. Having been involved in exactly that sort of discussion with that agency, Coravin most likely is taking action because it believes it must do so otherwise the CPSC will demand it (and more besides). And the CPSC may do so anyway.
Andrew Johnstone

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by alan weinberg » June 3rd, 2014, 7:04 am

Jens Bordasch wrote:A BIG chance for Pungo now if they are clever...their product doesn't work with over-pressure...
This is exactly what Burt from Pungo warned me (and others) about the Coravin. Hope the Pungo gets to market soon.
alan

Peter Kleban
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Peter Kleban » June 3rd, 2014, 7:04 am

1:78,000 bottles fail and there have been 7 failures. That's over 500,000 bottles Coravined up to now.
Bob Wood:
"Peter..your well-reasoned words were a waste of time."
WsOTY:
Vallana Spanna 5 Castelli '71
Fonseca Porto '77
d'Yquem '00
Jobard Meursault Blagny 1er '13
Broadbent Madeira Colheita '96
Mas Redonne Bandol Rosé '17
B Giacosa Roero Arneis '15
Patricia Green Cellars PN Estate Etzel Block '13

Jens Bordasch

#39 Post by Jens Bordasch » June 3rd, 2014, 7:14 am

Some of you mentioned that the problem is with the bottle maker and not Coravin...I do not agree here. Bottles made for still wine are not meant to be used with over-pressure and I don't see a reason why a bottle maker should test their bottles accordingly. Although I don't know I'm quite sure that there a rules/regulations/tests for Champagner bottles...but not for still wine.

So, if Coravin puts a bottle under high(er) pressure (than normal) then I do see resonsibility on their side.

Beside this, I'm really surprised this happens (bursting bottles). I also read comments from the Pungo guys saying that one advantage of their system is that they don't put the bottle on high pressure....at that time I though this is meaningless because wine bottles will be strong enough to hold this pressure...well, seems they (Pungo) have a great point here. I really hope they can take advantage of this as they don't seem to be clever marketing guys (at least not on Conravin's level).
Cheers,
Jens

Chris Blum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Chris Blum » June 3rd, 2014, 7:18 am

kylemittskus wrote:They're sending everyone a wine koozie?
[cheers.gif] [snort.gif]
"Well, wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit" -- Lucille Bluth
"The Packers f'n suck" -- Todd French

D@v1dZ

#41 Post by D@v1dZ » June 3rd, 2014, 7:52 am

Folks always said that Coravined wines were "the bomb".

GregT

#42 Post by GregT » June 3rd, 2014, 7:58 am

What Jens said. Whether or not it is faulty bottles, under normal conditions, the bottles would not be expected to explode. Who manufactured bottles for still wine to withstand additional pressure once they were sealed? Can't see how the bottle manufacturer would be liable if someone uses the bottles in a way totally unforseen when the bottles were made.

Moroever, there is no way to account for handling after the bottles left the mfg. Coravin owns this one.
G . T a t a r

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#43 Post by Todd F r e n c h » June 3rd, 2014, 7:59 am

Aren't bottles easily able to withstand 6-8 bars of pressure, minimum? How could the Coravin system inject more pressure than that?

Sounds to me like the famous McDonalds hot coffee lawsuit...someone sued because their hot coffee was hot.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

loren.grossman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#44 Post by loren.grossman » June 3rd, 2014, 8:06 am

Fwiw, I have been informed that the sleeve is in all likelihood an interim step to meet the very pressing safety need. I believe they are working on another way to address the problem that makes more sense. Stay tuned.

Jens Bordasch

#45 Post by Jens Bordasch » June 3rd, 2014, 8:06 am

6-8 bar? Why should they? Your car tires are on 2-2.4 bar so why should a still wine bottle withstand 3-4 times this pressure?
Cheers,
Jens

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#46 Post by Todd F r e n c h » June 3rd, 2014, 8:09 am

Jens Bordasch wrote:6-8 bar? Why should they? Your car tires are on 2-2.4 bar so why should a still wine bottle withstand 3-4 times this pressure?
I'm assuming Champagne bottles are made with the same general standards as wine bottles, and they are obviously designed to withstand those pressures, constantly. While the stopper is NOT designed for that pressure, the issue at hand is bottles exploding, which makes little sense to me - wouldn't the cork pop out first? MUST be faulty glass.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Xavier Lavoipierre

#47 Post by Xavier Lavoipierre » June 3rd, 2014, 8:11 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:Aren't bottles easily able to withstand 6-8 bars of pressure, minimum? How could the Coravin system inject more pressure than that?

Sounds to me like the famous McDonalds hot coffee lawsuit...someone sued because their hot coffee was hot.
Todd, do your fact checking. That's not why McDonald's was sued. Don't want to engage in thread drift, but the facts do matter.

Mark C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Mark C » June 3rd, 2014, 8:18 am

Brian Bohr wrote:I'm not particularly excited about the remedy solution - put the bottle in a Neoprene sleeve.
The Coravin Condom - You can’t do it without your fez on!
[cheers.gif]

Mark Cћамρηeγ

Wine Berserkers, “delight of the incapable and insignificant"!

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.” — Jay Bylsma

“Mark; I’ll surrender the argument.” Gordon Fitz

aka Frabjous/CT

Mark C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Mark C » June 3rd, 2014, 8:27 am

Peter Kleban wrote:1:78,000 bottles fail and there have been 7 failures. That's over 500,000 bottles Coravined up to now.
You can’t run the logic backwards like that - where does the 1:78,000 figure come from? Unless its empirical, you can only estimate the numbers… neener neener neener
[cheers.gif]

Mark Cћамρηeγ

Wine Berserkers, “delight of the incapable and insignificant"!

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.” — Jay Bylsma

“Mark; I’ll surrender the argument.” Gordon Fitz

aka Frabjous/CT

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#50 Post by Todd F r e n c h » June 3rd, 2014, 8:29 am

Xavier Lavoipierre wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:Aren't bottles easily able to withstand 6-8 bars of pressure, minimum? How could the Coravin system inject more pressure than that?

Todd, do your fact checking. That's not why McDonald's was sued. Don't want to engage in thread drift, but the facts do matter.
According to the web, that is why they were sued - because scalding hot coffee caused injury to a woman in the drive thru line, and they wouldn't settle with her. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v. ... estaurants

Return to “Wine Talk”