TN: Southern Rhone visit - May 2, 2014

Due to the May 1st holiday, my time in the Southern Rhone was a little more limited than I would have liked. Everything was closed on the 1st so we spent a day in Lyon. The 2nd was a Friday, and so there were places that were closed then as well. Having to catch a train back to Paris that evening, I scrapped booking appointments on my own and decided on a tour with Olivier Hickman (http://www.wine-uncovered.com/), who I would recommend. We hit Vacqueyras and Gigondas before lunch, and then two great stops in CdP after lunch.

It was a cold and windy day… Le Mistral was in full force. None of the sun-baked Southern Rhone weather on this day.

I was really impressed by both stops in CdP. Montpertuis is very traditional in style, and they’re Château de Valcombe Côtes du Ventoux wines that they were closing out were pretty amazing given the prices they were offering. Domaine Grand Veneur is more modern in style. I was definitely taken by their 2011 CdP’s, and the elegance and complexity they showed. And the 2012 La Fontaine CdP Blanc (100% Roussanne) was an incredible wine.

We had to rush to the train station in Avignon from Veneur, which was unfortunate. I didn’t get to explore as much as I would have liked, but it was a great day nonetheless.

I’ll post pics here as well.

SOUTHERN RHONE VISIT - MAY 2, 2014 - (5/8/2014-5/20/2014)

• 2011 Domaine La Garrigue Côtes du Rhône Cuvée Romaine - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône (5/14/2014)
    Winery visit- aromas of fresh herbs, farmyard, savory spice and black cherry. Nice primary blue fruit and dark floral notes on the palate. Lush, juicy and full throughout. Nicely done.
  • 2011 Domaine La Garrigue Vacqueyras - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Vacqueyras (5/14/2014)
    Winery visit- Youthful primary aromas- red berries and floral with baking spice. Juicy and ripe on the palate brightened with minerality and darkened damp earth and spice. Medium acid, big tannins. Very good overall.
  • 2011 Domaine La Garrigue Vacqueyras Cuvée de l’Hostellerie - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Vacqueyras (5/15/2014)
    Winery visit- Alluring earthy and mineral notes on the nose to go along with eastern spice and red cherry. Rich on the palate with medium acid and polished full tannins, and showing black fruit, minerality and violet notes. Medium length. Very nice.
  • 2012 Domaine La Garrigue Gigondas - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Gigondas (5/15/2014)
    Winery visit- Aromas of dried lavender, crushed stone, dried herbs and blueberry. Full flavored and polished, showing nicely layered flavors of anise, blackberry, and chalky minerality on the palate. Fine tannins, medium acid, and nice complexity on the finish. Elegant throughout. Very enjoyable.
  • 2010 Domaine La Garrigue Vacqueyras La Cantarelle - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Vacqueyras (5/15/2014)
    Winery visit- Expressive aromas of black tea, crushed stone, plums and clove. Ripe flavors, nice elegance, lots more baking spice, red fruit and black tea notes on the palate. Integrated acid, silky in texture with juicy tannins on the finish. Excellent- really nice.
  • 2012 Domaine des Amouriers Vacqueyras Blanc - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Vacqueyras (5/18/2014)
    Winery visit- Aromas of mineral, spice, honey and stone fruit. Rich on the palate- ripe, floral, and lushly structured with full finish. Very nice.
  • 2011 Domaine des Amouriers Vacqueyras Signature - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Vacqueyras (5/18/2014)
    Winery visit- Notes of cherry, spice, licorice and cassis. Well balanced and rich on the palate with big broad polished tannins, very moderate acid, and full sweet spice notes on the finish. Very nice.
  • 2010 Domaine des Amouriers Vacqueyras Les Truffières - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Vacqueyras (5/18/2014)
    Tasted at the winery, then popped and poured right after my trip. Black ruby color, very concentrated. Aromas of licorice, spice, black cherry and violets- nicely complex and concentrated. Adds flavors of minerality and more spice on the palate along with the redcurrant, cherry and violet notes. Silky fat tannins, polished and fleshy through the mid-palate. Medium acid. Well balanced, but a big wine. Finishes full. Excellent, and a great QPR. (92 pts.)
  • 2011 Domaine des Amouriers Vacqueyras Les Genestes - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Vacqueyras (5/18/2014)
    Tasted at the winery- Bright aromas of black cherry, lavender and spice. Very concentrated on the palate with mineral, spice and black cherry notes. Big fine tannins, moderate acid, well balanced, and plenty spice and earth on the finish. Very nice.
  • 2010 Domaine des Amouriers Vacqueyras Les Hautes Terrasses - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Vacqueyras (5/18/2014)
    Tasted at the winery- Animal aromas with blueberry, spice and earth. Lots of concentrated black fruit and spice on the palate with polished fine tannins and bright mineral notes on the finish.
  • 2011 Domaine Monpertuis (Paul Jeune) Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (5/18/2014)
    Winery visit- aromas of lilac, honeysuckle, wheatstraw and stone fruit. Develops flavors of peach blossom, river rock, fresh flowers and apple. Medium acid. Fine and polished. Full finish. Very nice.
  • 2006 Château de Valcombe Côtes du Ventoux Bleu d’Argile - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Ventoux (5/18/2014)
    Visit to Domaine de Montpertuis. Aromas of licorice, cola, plum, minerals, spice and tobacco. Silky and fine on the palate. Very polished, with juicy ripeness and acidity. Well balanced with medium depth and length on the finish. Showing very well. Excellent.
  • 2011 Domaine Monpertuis (Paul Jeune) Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (5/18/2014)
    Winery visit- Deep ruby color. Aromas of plum, violet, crushed rock, spice and cherry. Nicely layered and elegant on the palate with notes of primary spice and fruit and underlying garrigue. Medium acid, lush full tannins, nice polish, medium acid. Full mouthwatering finish. Excellent.
  • 2010 Domaine Monpertuis (Paul Jeune) Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Tradition Vieilles Vignes Secret de Gabriel - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (5/18/2014)
    Winery visit- Dark ruby color. Aromas of red cherry and plum fruit, with spice, melted rock, lavender and earth. Silky and polished on the palate adding layered notes of black tea, spice and red fruit. Fine tannins and medium acid. Full long finish. Very deep and complex, a great wine with a long life ahead.
  • 2004 Château de Valcombe Côtes du Ventoux La Sereine - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Ventoux (5/18/2014)
    Visit to Domaine de Montpertuis. Dark, full garnet color. Aromas of beef marinade, liquid smoke, spices and black cherry. Nicely complex on the palate with layers of tobacco, tea, plum, blackberry and spice. Big polished tannins, juicy balanced acid and a full finish. Excellent.
  • 2012 Domaine Grand Veneur Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (5/18/2014)
    Winery visit- Notes throughout of citrus, spice, apple, florals, mineral, butterscotch and spice. Rich, polished, and balanced throughout with nice depth. Very nice.
  • 2012 Domaine Grand Veneur Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc La Fontaine - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (5/18/2014)
    Winery visit- Complex aromas of butterscotch, spice and florals- intense. Richly flavored with notes of spice and butterscotch, highlighted by bright stone fruit and rocky minerality. Polished and deep and bright, well balanced and very long finishing notes. Awesome juice.
  • 2011 Domaine Grand Veneur Lirac Roquedon - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Lirac (5/18/2014)
    Winery visit- Notes of leather, spice, licorice and cherry. Rich and silky on the palate with black cherry fruit, spice, fennel and mineral. Fine tannins and juicy acid on the finish. Very good.
  • 2011 Domaine Grand Veneur Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (5/18/2014)
    Winery visit- Aromas of crushed stone, violets, eastern spice and cherry. The palate shows silky structure, juicy acid and finely polished broad tannins. Lots of flavors of mineral, black tea, plum and cherry that are seamlessly layered. Very well balanced. Full finish. Excellent.
  • 2011 Domaine Grand Veneur Châteauneuf-du-Pape Les Origines - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (5/18/2014)
    Winery visit- Aromas of cherry, leather, rose petal, spice and melted stone- very expressive. Fine and silky throughout the palate, with layers of blue fruit, mineral, tea, and florals. Very pretty and elegant, and well balanced. Full flavors on the finish. Excellent.

Posted from CellarTracker

Gigondas1.jpg
Gigondas vineyard
CdP1.jpg
CdP2.jpg

CdP3.jpg
Concrete fermenters at Domaine de Montpertuis
CdP4.jpg
CdP5.jpg
Looking east at the village of CdP from the vineyards near Montpertuis

CdP7.jpg
CdP6.jpg
Vineyards near Montpertuis

Nice pics, thanks for sharing. Indeed the weather didn’t look really nice ! I was there a few days before and weather was much better.

I’ve been a customer of Domaine La Garrigue for a few years now, and I find their wines have good value for the price. I particularly like the Cuvée de L’Hostellerie, the 2010s are just starting to open. I haven’t tasted la Cantarelle 2010 yet, but this is always a bit difficult (much concentration) in its youth.

I also really like Domaine Grand Veneur, I’m not buying any more because my attention is elsewhere at the moment but again very good value for the price.

Next time you’re there, I suggest you have a stop in Vienne at Cavinea, it is a wine shop that proposes domaine prices for a bunch of domaines (Villard, Cuilleron, Monteillet, …). And it is open on bank holidays ! :wink:

Alain

Thanks for the advice Alain. I actually enjoyed the cloudy windy weather… It’s been hot in S CA this year so it was a nice change… Cheers!

Great pictures & trip notes!

I’ve been drinking an 01 Dom. Montpertuis [CNDP] the last couple of nights, and while enjoyable/good, I thought it would have been better. I’ve had this dusky, sedimented 14% abv wine since release. This one is a Neil Rosenthal import, whether that makes any difference. I know he’s tight with Asimov and all that, but I’ve generally not loved the Rosenthal stable the way I like Kermit’s Rhones or Jeff Davies Bordeaux etc. On the nose the I get a mulberry, seaweed, celery like mix which then segues into a raspberry, pruney like palate. Although the estate is described as traditional, the wine feels more modern, and perhaps harvested on the later side. Tannins are all absorbed now (if there were any) but it feels like its fading now. Normally I like Rhones with bottle age, but this might have been one I would enjoyed younger, perhaps 5-6 years ago. I find there’s a touch of stinky dog here, real Rhone funk, maybe from the mourvedre. I’d give this a B or so.

I’m not sure any makes its way stateside anymore.

Wow, blast from the past. Thanks, Arv. I went back in 2016 and had some other great stops.

I opened a 2010 Montpertuis Secret de Gabriel that I got on this trip a few months back. Still liked the style, but needed more time.