TN: 2012 Arnot-Roberts Zinfandel, Kirschenmann Vineyard, Mokelumne River

Kirschenmann is owned and farmed by Tegan and Olivia Passalacqua. 12.5% alcohol. Medium light ruby red in color. A pleasing herbal element dominates the nose. On the palate, a subtle, but bright red cherry note, again with that nice herbal touch. While very light on it’s feet, this wine is savory and has good mid-palate depth.

Kirschenmann fruit tends to be light and feminine and the A-R team have played to that strength. Nice energy and very subtle, but penetrating flavor. The vibe is more Loire Cab Franc, or maybe a nice Beaujolais than Lodi Zin. I tasted this wine in January and it has filled out a bit and improved since then. Should continue to improve.

Very limited distribution - I did hear that Chez Panisse may have gotten a few cases. Other examples from Kirschenmann Vineyard can be found from Carlisle, Bedrock and Turley.

Nice note Mike. I hope you saved at least a bottle for a Kirschenmann 2012 horizontal! Otherwise I guess we’ll be doing it at Chez Panisse.

There is also a 2012 Kirschenmann from Newsome-Harlow. These are my notes from the ZAP Flights:

(edited to correct the ABV% on the Arnot-Roberts)

• 2012 Arnot-Roberts Zinfandel Kirschenmann - USA, California, Central Valley, Lodi (1/24/2014)
    Tasted at ZAP Flights. According to the winemaker Kirschenmann was picked 2 weeks before any other winery. Foot-stomped 100% whole cluster, native yeasts, raised in one 5 year old puncheon and one 7 year old barrel. 12.5% ABV.

Light ruby color with tart raspberry, very floral nose. Palate is all spice-driven, cinnamon and clove with white pepper with lightweight mouthfeel, followed by a subtle cranberry high tone. Very structured yet feminine. Fascinating take on zin, atypical but still much in common with the other Kirschenmann zins at the tasting.

• 2012 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Kirschenmann - USA, California, Central Valley, Lodi (1/24/2014)
    Tasted at ZAP Flights with Morgan-Twain Peterson. According to Morgan this wine began in all French oak, 20% new, but was pulled into all older barrels to not overwhelm its lovely feminine profile.

light ruby garnet color with a very floral, spicy perfumed nose. Juicy red cherry palate with hints of roasted Herbs de Provence in the background. Mouth watering very long spicy finish with mouth-watering acidity.

• 2012 Carlisle Zinfandel Kirschenmann - USA, California, Central Valley, Lodi (1/24/2014)
    Tasted at ZAP Flights with Mike Officer. According to Mike, this wine was raised in all French Oak, 25% new. It had been bottled just 2 days ago.

Medium ruby color falls right in with just about all the wines in the flight. Nose is reticent and really needs some vigorous swirling to give up any of its spicy red fruits. Bottled two days ago, this is perhaps showing signs of shock. The palate is a little friendlier with peppery, crunchy cherry and a nice long spicy finish with soft tannins. Definitely showing Kirschenmann signature fruit but needs some time to come out of its shell.

• 2012 Newsome-Harlow Zinfandel The Kirschenmann Vineyard - USA, California, Central Valley, Lodi (1/24/2014)
    Tasted at ZAP Flights with Scott Klann. According to Scott, the grapes were destemmed with 25% stems added back in, and the wine was acidified. Raised in 9 French Oak barrels 2 of which were new. I did not note that this was a barrel sample but Tegan told me later that it was. I did not note ABV but this was the 3rd of 5 wines in the flight ordered from least to most, so middle-of-the-road and that would put it just below 15%.

Clearly an outlier in the flight with regards to color with a dark purple ruby. Black pepper spice nose with a tart plum palate and slight candied cherry finish. I thought this wine did not follow the color of flavor profiles of the other Kirschenmann wines in the flight, but I reserve judgement when tasting a barrel sample.

• 2012 Turley Zinfandel Kirschenmann - USA, California, Central Valley, Lodi (1/24/2014)
    Tasted at ZAP Flights with Tegan Passalacqua. According to Tegan, Kirschenmann was picked in 2 passes, 2 days apart. Fruit was completely destemmed and added to a closed top fermenter without crushing, and allowed to ferment on native yeasts. 15.3% ABV

Medium ruby color with red fruits on the nose. Lush texture with red and purple fruits, followed by a spicy and peppery finish. Great balance with good structure, strong acidity and prominent fine-grained tannins on the long finish. Delicious now but for me I’d let this age. I think it has a lot of upside.

Posted from CellarTracker

Good notes Larry and I do have an A-R earmarked for a tasting with you!

Thanks Mike [cheers.gif] [worship.gif]

Mike/Larry, you two have different ABV for the same wine. Which is correct?

Thanks, Tom

You guys are killing me. I’ll now only try 40% or fewer of the producers from this vineyard.
Trying to kill my sorrows with a '12 Turley, Duarte but not finding it very satisfying.

Mike, Larry, Peter and others. I would be more than happy to host a Kirschenmann horizontal. If we could I would prefer to do it in Lodi. Maybe we can harass the good Dr. Glenn Levine to make the trip south.
I currently have 12 Scholium Project FTP Pinot Gris, 12 Forlorn Hope kirschenmann Pinot Gris, 12 Arnot Roberts Zinfandel, 12 bedrock Kirschenmann Zinfandel, 12 Carlisle Kirschenmann Zinfandel, and 12 Turley Kirschenmann Zinfandel.
Let me know if you think we can pull this off before the fast approaching 2014 harvest

Tegan - sounds great. Anytime after June 15 looks good for me. I’d love to see that sandy vineyard.

Count me in…I’m 35 min away!

Tegan, that would be great! I’ve been talking with a few of the East Bay zin fanatics about doing this soon and have been meaning to talk to you about joining us. Let’s talk offline and try to nail down exactly where/when.

I’ll hazard a guess that Mike’s is right.

Maybe Glenn and I could carpool down?

Tom

i’d drive up from Fresno for this!

Count me in if the date works!

Can anyone bring a Sandlands?

Label states 12.5% abv.

I’ll make this event if my schedule permits. I think I can cancel anything I have between June 15 and July 15.

I’ve corrected it in my post and in my note on CT.

On Day 2, the wine continued to fill out and gain grip. Savory and delicious.

An IPOB Lodi Zinfandel. Not bad for a 99-year old vineyard and a winemaking team not known for Zin!

Mike, Where did you pick up the AR Zin? I’ve not seen it offered in their emails, unless it was written in fine print champagne.gif

Everett, this was an extremely limited release, not sure it went public at all. I was able to get a few bottles either through my innate charm, or my incessant nagging/whining. Not sure which!