TN: 2020 Domaine de la Pépière Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine sur lie Les Gras Moutons

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
IlkkaL

TN: 2020 Domaine de la Pépière Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine sur lie Les Gras Moutons

#1 Post by IlkkaL »

Some here might remember me posting last August about losing my sense of smell for a week or so. Some suggested it being due to Covid despite my negative test, understandably. Well, last month I finally got the damn thing with some pretty serious symptoms as well and on top of everything again lost my ability to pretty much smell everything. Put my nose in a bag of clove, got almost nothing.

Fortunately roughly two weeks after testing positive it started to get better with a glass of Sancerre tasting pretty nice at lunch. As such I opened a Riesling at home which was tasting even better and despite not trying any red wine (which tasted mostly of alcohol 1.5 weeks ago) I feel pretty confident that I’m getting close to normal.

Still, I’m happily opening these cellar defenders and boy am I being reminded about the joys of the cheapest of the cheap. Les Gras Moutons still goes for less than 10€ and the pleasure it delivers equals that of a good Chablis or Sancerre. Most people here go for the Briords but I find this one to offer more pleasure, if then in a less serious way probably.
  • 2020 Domaine de la Pépière Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine sur lie Les Gras Moutons - France, Loire Valley, Pays Nantais, Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine sur lie (8.3.2022)
    The nose is markedly melony with notes of lemon and sea breeze. Bright and gentle, simply smells of summer. The palate is dry with abundant fruit that is quite neutral in the grand scheme of things but in the region’s context it comes off super appealing. The mouth-watering acidity is absolutely on point, giving the wine great energy and making it very refreshing. Gets pretty firm towards the finish without never being even close to austere. Just slightly nervous with a very long, hugely satisfying finish. Absolutely terrific, both on its own and with smoked salmon.
Posted from CellarTracker
Last name = L u !V! !V! e

Dennis Atick

Re: TN: 2020 Domaine de la Pépière Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine sur lie Les Gras Moutons

#2 Post by Dennis Atick »

Glad to hear you are on the mend Ilkka!
And Pepiere has got to be the gold star for QPR and the world's best "cellar defender" The fact that the range can mostly be had for less than $20 to this day is kind of amazing. Not sure they can ever get enough love.
Nice note!
@decaturwinedude

“The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew, and act anew.”--Abraham Lincoln, December 1, 1862

Ramon C

Re: TN: 2020 Domaine de la Pépière Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine sur lie Les Gras Moutons

#3 Post by Ramon C »

It’s good that you’re feeling better.

It’s been a few years since my last Gras Moutons and the ones I’ve had all hit high on my enjoyment meter.

I think they’re slightly higher in pricing, in my market, than Briords. But still provide great muscadet value. I’ll remember to load up on a few when we get to warmer weather.
@brera

Pat Martin

#4 Post by Pat Martin »

Dennis Atick wrote: March 8th, 2022, 11:18 am Glad to hear you are on the mend Ilkka!
And Pepiere has got to be the gold star for QPR and the world's best "cellar defender" The fact that the range can mostly be had for less than $20 to this day is kind of amazing. Not sure they can ever get enough love.
Nice note!
Amen, but unfortunately not easy to source for me locally, unlike on the east coast.
P@ tr!ck M 8rt!n

IlkkaL

#5 Post by IlkkaL »

I'm feeling the love, guys!

Here in Europe Les Gras Moutons and Briords are priced identically, quite modestly above their entry level Muscadet. Their hasn't been a lot of talk about how the climate change is affecting Muscadet but I reckon the recent vintages are among the warmest ever there as well, similarly to Sancerre, Burgundy etc. If that is true then how this wine is built doesn't give me a lot of reason to worry yet.
Last name = L u !V! !V! e

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Michae1 P0wers »

IlkkaL wrote: March 9th, 2022, 11:20 pm I'm feeling the love, guys!

Here in Europe Les Gras Moutons and Briords are priced identically, quite modestly above their entry level Muscadet. Their hasn't been a lot of talk about how the climate change is affecting Muscadet but I reckon the recent vintages are among the warmest ever there as well, similarly to Sancerre, Burgundy etc. If that is true then how this wine is built doesn't give me a lot of reason to worry yet.
Pricing here is similar to Briords. I've actually seen it for a slight bit more or less. This cuvee always seems a bit rounder and fuller than Briords, with a bit less acid cut. For instance, I found the 2019 noticeably fatter than the 2019 Briords. Sounds from your note like the 2020 has good acidity. I do like this, but prefer Briords and Thebaud. I would really like to taste the whole lineup side by side sometime.

Pat Martin

#7 Post by Pat Martin »

Fun topic. Where do some of the other more common cuvées — especially Clos de Morines Château Thébaud and Clisson — fit in stylistically? I’ve had quite a few from of the Pepiere lineup — with Briords my go to cuvée — but never had them side by side.
P@ tr!ck M 8rt!n

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Michae1 P0wers »

Pat Martin wrote: March 10th, 2022, 8:38 am Fun topic. Where do some of the other more common cuvées — especially Clos de Morines Château Thébaud and Clisson — fit in stylistically? I’ve had quite a few from of the Pepiere lineup — with Briords my go to cuvée — but never had them side by side.
I bought a good deal of the 2014 Thebaud, which is no longer Clos de Morines Chateau Thebaud, but simply Chateau Thebaud. I also have some 2017 on the way. Based on that limited assessment I found the 2014 Thebaud to be much like the Briords, but dialed up even higher in intensity. Lean, stony, and mineral with a razor sharp acid spine. Hard to generalize from just one vintage though, and 2014 is my favorite recent vintage for muscadet. My limited experience is that Clisson is serious and structured but I've not been moved to buy it at a higher price than Briords and Thebaud. I've never had the Monnieres St. Fiacre or the Gorges.

Ramon C

#9 Post by Ramon C »

Went to check out, but only to strike out, on the Ch. Magdelaine sale at Chambers (NYC) and lingered long enough on their website to reload on a few more of this delicious stuff.
Piling on with my take from an earlier bottle:

2020 Pepiere Les Gras Moutons Muscadet Sèvre et Maine
Abundance of mineral components, fresh cool-fruited sensation, a delightful Muscadet that is almost elegant to the mouthfeel. Lengthy. Oysters or a white-sauced chicken dish. A-

2BCF355C-E5B5-4F23-B37E-D371298C8FF0.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
@brera

Bob Hughes
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#10 Post by Bob Hughes »

I have been enjoying working my way through a case of the 2017 Thebaud - that long aging on the lees really adds an interesting difference to this cuvee. I can't say that I like it more than the Briords, but I do like this quite a bit.

Return to “Wine Talk”