Goodfellow Spring Release

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

Goodfellow Spring Release

#1 Post by Mattstolz »

OP note: I still can't believe how good the pricing is on these wines. this email offer simply offers a lineup of some of the best price to quality for what you get out there. Single vineyard pinots and chards for under $35?? cmon.

Hello, and Happy Spring!

I hope all of you are well. In Oregon, we're awash in daffodils and crocuses . Fruit are trees blossoming, and bud break is just a few short weeks away. Daylight hours are longer, the sun has been out a bit, and I feel like there is a huge collective "Whew!" coming from everyone, with high hopes for the coming year.

We have just bottled all of the 2019 wines, which was hectic and exhilarating. Typically we bottle in two rounds, in March and either May or June but the 2019 Pinot Noirs are beautiful and elegant. We wanted them to be in puncheon and barrel just long enough to gain texture and silkiness from lees, but not to lose the vibrancy of the fruit. The 2019 Chardonnays are dynamite and we saw no reason to delay bottling them. So we buckled down, filled every tank we own, borrowed a few more, and finished the whole lot last week.

It has delayed this email just a bit, and we apologize for the wait, but we're hoping to get orders packed and out within the spring shipping window wherever possible. That being said, the wines in this email are almost entirely from that bottling, and will need at least a month or two to start coming around (varietal and vineyard depending).

The 2019 growing season was a departure from the previous three years. Bud break came a week or so later than it had the year before, and temperatures were mild throughout the summer, with cool cloudy mornings, and afternoons where even the hottest part of the day was pleasant for humans and grapevines alike. Breezes held less force, and grape skins had the luxury of remaining fine. The wines are beautifully elegant, precise, and the quintessential "old Oregon". Delicate in the mouth, with heady and perfumed aromatics, refreshing and juicy acidity, and low alcohols.

The vintage did also bring a few new things for you! 2019 marks the first year our block of Chardonnay at Temperance Hill produced fruit. We also brought in two acres of fruit from Oracle vineyard in the Dundee Hills, from the block I first worked with in 2003. Finally, we do have a small amount of a skin contact Pinot Gris from Lewman Vineyard. More on all of these below.

Most of all, we hope you are doing well, enjoying the wines, and thank you very much for your support!

Best Regards,
Marcus Goodfellow & Megan Joy

2019 Richard's Cuvee, Whistling Ridge Vineyard Chardonnay
$55/ $44 release price
Oh boy...first gravel and smoke, opening to fresh pear, hazelnuts, straw and raw grain, then lime and yuzu blossom. Old world notes of river stones, and seashells. Palate is immediately bright, stony, mineral, lime, clean, lucid, direct, and steely. Acidity runs through the wine from the front palate to the long, long, long finish. Like Corton from the mid-90s... 11.8% abv, finished under Diam 30. 155 cases.

2019 Whistling Ridge Vineyard Chardonnay
$43/ $34.40 release price
Lemon curd, lime blossom, sea shells, quince, yellow flowers, grilled bread. Softer than the Richard's, this has a silky prettiness in the mouth, Meyer lemon running over river rocks, with a tingly lemony finish. 11.8% abv, finished under Diam 30. 80 cases.

2019 Temperance Hill Vineyard Chardonnay
Still tightly coiled, this opens to non-fruit tones: salt water over stones, fennel and sage flowers, cedar, lavender, soil, and dust. Clean, lemon peel and clementine, hints of classic Temperance Hill savory herb, sage, cedar, and lemon/citrus pith. Great length and echo. 12.6% abv, finished under Diam 30. 145 cases.

2019 Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
Very alluring, homemade pear tarts, white flowers, oyster shells, salt, and hazelnuts. Direct and graceful in the palate, limpidly textural with floral, fennel, lemon, and stone. A great balance between tranquility and energy. One of our very best Durant bottlings, and very much in the key of Meursault. 12.5%, finished under Diam 10. 113 cases.

2019 Oracle Vineyard Pinot Noir
100% whole cluster, this is a beautiful balance of sweet fruit, and savory finish. Red strawberry and pomegranate fruit followed quickly by tobacco leaf, and amaro spices. The most textured of the 2019 Pinot Noirs, there is a beautiful harmony to the palate, a supple weightless luxury, with great finishing acidity and grip. 13.2% abv, finished with Diam 10. 100 cases.

2019 Durant Vineyard Pinot Noir
Supple with juicy red fruit, flowers, dark and sweet spice, loamy earth and amaro. More ethereal than the Durant typically is. The palate is boysenberry, dark cherry, and pomegranate, light bodied but structural, with a great savory finish. 13.0% abv, finished with Diam 10. 160 cases.

2019 Fir Crest Vineyard Pinot Noir
Probably my favorite rendition of this vineyard. Beautiful dark fruit and purple blossoms, shifting between black and red fruits, contrasted with dark earth and spice underneath. Clean, elegant, and very pure with great contrast between fruit and stem notes, excellent balance and drive, finishes long with juicy acidity. A somewhat unique take on Yamhill-Carlton fruit but true to the AVA. 13.0% abv, finished with Diam 10. 113 cases.

2019 Whistling Ridge Vineyard Pinot Noir
Translucent, with pale red fruits, currants and pie cherry. Stony earth, wood spice, kitchen herb, and amaro. Edgy and tightly wound in the mouth currently, with pale red fruits and juicy acids. As is often the case with Whistling Ridge, this will want some time to evolve, integrate, and add heft. I see an early window in 6-12 months, and then reopening again after 5-7 years and drinking for another decade beyond that. 12.6% abv, finished with Diam 10. 245 cases.

Scott Watkins
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Goodfellow Spring Release

#2 Post by Scott Watkins »

Did you really feel the need to add the op note? [snort.gif]
If Marcus wants to give away his wine I'm okay with that :)
“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Mattstolz »

Scott Watkins wrote: April 7th, 2021, 6:57 pm Did you really feel the need to add the op note [snort.gif] [wink.gif]
I mean, the offer DOES speak for itself, but its more of a can't help myself but to comment thing, because the pricing is crazy. kind of like when you get to the Grand Canyon and everyone knows its amazing but you still say "holy crap this is amazing"

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Brian S t o t t e r »

Ssssshhhhhhhhhh, keep this a secret
CT and IG: rieslinghoarder

2021 WOTY Candidates:

2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Niedermenniger Herrenberg Riesling Spätlese feinherb “Meyer Nepal” #11
2006 Billecart-Salmon Champagne Cuvée Nicolas-François Billecart
2015 Kelley Fox Wines Pinot Noir Maresh Vineyard Red Barn Blocks
1997 Reichsgraf von Kesselstatt Scharzhofberger Riesling Auslese

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#5 Post by Rodrigo B »

Brian S t o t t e r wrote: April 7th, 2021, 7:25 pm Ssssshhhhhhhhhh, keep this a secret
I secured the wines I wanted already, so I see no need to hide it from other people. I’m all for promoting Marcus’ wines and contributing to his success. Producers have to first and foremost do well financially in order to keep going, so I’m always an advocate for promoting producers whose wines I enjoy. I have a vested interest in Marcus' long term financial success. I need him to keep on making his wines so I can drink them flirtysmile champagne.gif
B r @ g @

Brian S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Brian S »

Been a very long time since I've bought any stateside pinot or chard, but based on the Goodfellow love on WB I felt compelled to dip my toe back in with their Spring release. Was not even aware of this producer before reconnecting here recently but I'm excited to try these. Went for the Richard's Cuvee and Durant Chards and the Durant and Whistling Ridge Pinots; hopefully enough of a sample for this newb to get an idea of Goodfellow's style.
S p i n d l e r

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by dcornutt »

The wines are excellent and Marcus is a super guy. I have to find some room but I am buying some to put back. Trying more chards. They look intriguing.
DON Cornutt

" Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner." - LAO TZU

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Jason T »

Mattstolz wrote: April 7th, 2021, 7:01 pm
Scott Watkins wrote: April 7th, 2021, 6:57 pm Did you really feel the need to add the op note [snort.gif] [wink.gif]
I mean, the offer DOES speak for itself, but its more of a can't help myself but to comment thing, because the pricing is crazy. kind of like when you get to the Grand Canyon and everyone knows its amazing but you still say "holy crap this is amazing"
I had the same reaction when I read the email offer last night. Easy decision, buy across the board, squirrel them away.
J@son Tr@ughber

Brian Lynch
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Brian Lynch »

I tend to drink these too early and have not given my purchases much time sideways.

Do the reds and whites put on weight and gain complexity with age or do they maintain the ethereal quality of their youth?
The Waterboys

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#10 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

Brian Lynch wrote: April 8th, 2021, 4:48 am I tend to drink these too early and have not given my purchases much time sideways.

Do the reds and whites put on weight and gain complexity with age or do they maintain the ethereal quality of their youth?
Ethereal and complex, based on a couple of older (2011, 2012) Pinots I have recently opened. They do not seem to gain weight, but I like that.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#11 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

In for a case of chard.

I’ve actually bought more Oregon chard than white burg this year.

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Mattstolz »

Brian Lynch wrote: April 8th, 2021, 4:48 am I tend to drink these too early and have not given my purchases much time sideways.

Mine never tend to survive very long either because I love that ethereal quality. The oldest I have had was a 2013 Matello that we purchased at the winery with the age built in and it definitely still had that bright lifted quality

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Bob Hughes »

I still have some '14 Richard's Chardonnay, but in general, I also tend to drink both Walter Scott and Goodfellow younger than many Board members seem to.

I'm psyched to try the new Chardonnay from Temperance Hill.

brigcampbell
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#14 Post by brigcampbell »

Brian S wrote: April 7th, 2021, 9:55 pm Been a very long time since I've bought any stateside pinot or chard, but based on the Goodfellow love on WB I felt compelled to dip my toe back in with their Spring release. Was not even aware of this producer before reconnecting here recently but I'm excited to try these. Went for the Richard's Cuvee and Durant Chards and the Durant and Whistling Ridge Pinots; hopefully enough of a sample for this newb to get an idea of Goodfellow's style.
welcome and cool story.

brigcampbell
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#15 Post by brigcampbell »

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote: April 8th, 2021, 5:45 am In for a case of chard.

I’ve actually bought more Oregon chard than white burg this year.
that made me laugh because over the last two berserkerday events my cellar is now gladly loaded with Oregon wines and when we get together my buddy always says "let me guess, you brought an Oregon wine?" LOL [cheers.gif]

Adam Noble
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#16 Post by Adam Noble »

So hard to keep it to just a case, especially knowing there are going to be more block and heritage released coming later.

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

I’ve basically started buying more Oregon wines to replace white burg village and some 1er wines, and have been happy with them being cheaper and generally higher quality without as much premox risk. I haven’t really been buying as much 1er/GC WB anyways lately.

Scott Tallman

#18 Post by Scott Tallman »

Adam Noble wrote: April 8th, 2021, 7:47 am So hard to keep it to just a case, especially knowing there are going to be more block and heritage released coming later.
Agree, but that’s the reason Goodfellow/Matello is the #1 producer in my cellar. That and burying all the Pinots for long-term aging. Very rarely crack one before 8 years post-vintage.
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

John H.

#19 Post by John H. »

Glad I got a raise before this offer came out, because I went into a fuge state on the phone yesterday with Megan and I'm not sure what I ordered. Will it come in two boxes or three? Only time will tell.

Looking forward to the Willamette Valley releases as well!
J. Hallett

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Brian S t o t t e r »

Adam Noble wrote: April 8th, 2021, 7:47 am So hard to keep it to just a case, especially knowing there are going to be more block and heritage released coming later.
I passed on Whistling Ridge PN this round, anticipating I'll just order it with the block/heritage release later.
CT and IG: rieslinghoarder

2021 WOTY Candidates:

2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Niedermenniger Herrenberg Riesling Spätlese feinherb “Meyer Nepal” #11
2006 Billecart-Salmon Champagne Cuvée Nicolas-François Billecart
2015 Kelley Fox Wines Pinot Noir Maresh Vineyard Red Barn Blocks
1997 Reichsgraf von Kesselstatt Scharzhofberger Riesling Auslese

Adam Noble
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#21 Post by Adam Noble »

Scott Tallman wrote: April 8th, 2021, 8:01 am
Agree, but that’s the reason Goodfellow/Matello is the #1 producer in my cellar. That and burying all the Pinots for long-term aging. Very rarely crack one before 8 years post-vintage.
Goodfellow is my biggest purchase annually for the last 4 years. Between and the Cameron I barely need to buy anything else. But I do it anyway.

Adam Noble
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#22 Post by Adam Noble »

Brian S t o t t e r wrote: April 8th, 2021, 8:14 am
I passed on Whistling Ridge PN this round, anticipating I'll just order it with the block/heritage release later.
Not a bad call. Maybe I should have done that too. But I only got two and will drink one within two weeks of receipt.

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#23 Post by Marcus Goodfellow »

Rodrigo B wrote: April 7th, 2021, 8:27 pm
Brian S t o t t e r wrote: April 7th, 2021, 7:25 pm Ssssshhhhhhhhhh, keep this a secret
I secured the wines I wanted already, so I see no need to hide it from other people. I’m all for promoting Marcus’ wines and contributing to his success. Producers have to first and foremost do well financially in order to keep going, so I’m always an advocate for promoting producers whose wines I enjoy. I have a vested interest in Marcus' long term financial success. I need him to keep on making his wines so I can drink them flirtysmile champagne.gif
[thumbs-up.gif]

Thank you everyone.

Honestly, I like making the wines more than anything. Knowing they are going to good homes is really important to me(especially as ethereal hasn’t always been as prized in wine as it is by Berserkers). 2019 is a great vintage(based upon the evolution of 2007 and 2010/2011), the Chardonnays are remarkable(and by no means just mine).
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#24 Post by Marcus Goodfellow »

Adam Noble wrote: April 8th, 2021, 8:26 am
Brian S t o t t e r wrote: April 8th, 2021, 8:14 am
Not a bad call. Maybe I should have done that too. But I only got two and will drink one within two weeks of receipt.
Hi Adam,

I am usually in favor of hitting the early window for “research”, but everyone should bear in mind that these wines were just bottled 3/29-3/31.

Especially with the elegance of the vintage, I would give the wines a month or two to come around.
Winemaker & Owner

Vince L.

#25 Post by Vince L. »

What's the minimum order quantity & how do I join the list :)
l 3 r t

Philip G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Philip G »

Of course I'm in for some Richard's Cuvee and Durant Chardonnay and the Temperance Hill Chardonnay sounds intriguing. My BD Temperance Hill Pinot Noir should be arriving soon.

I've found that I definitely prefer Marcus's Pinots with a good deal of age on them so I need to put them way in the back to keep away from them.
Chip G@@d

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#27 Post by Rodrigo B »

Vince L. wrote: April 8th, 2021, 9:08 am What's the minimum order quantity & how do I join the list :)
Shoot Marcus a message. I don’t believe there’s a minimum order amount, although Marcus offers $30 flat shipping on full cases
B r @ g @

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#28 Post by Marcus Goodfellow »

Vince L. wrote: April 8th, 2021, 9:08 am What's the minimum order quantity & how do I join the list :)
No minimum quantity, and just send me an email marcus@goodfellowfamilycellars.com or you can join the list via the website.
Winemaker & Owner

JBrochu

#29 Post by JBrochu »

Have been interested in trying these wines for a while, and finally pulled the trigger on 3 mixed cases of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay from recent vintages and the new release. Bought enough to try a couple in the near term, (within the next year or so), and then squirrel away 2-3 bottles of each to get some age on them. All this talk of ethereal qualities has me really excited - sounds just like my preferred style.
J@hn

Jason R.
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#30 Post by Jason R. »

In for two mixed cases. Hard to narrow it down with so many great wines!!
R o b e r t s o n

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#31 Post by c fu »

Jason R. wrote: April 8th, 2021, 6:14 pm In for two mixed cases. Hard to narrow it down with so many great wines!!
this is my issue too! There's so much wine i don't even know what to order. I'm paralyzed LOL.

There's even a syrah/viognier!? Pinot gris!?

This is just the spring release?!
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#32 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

After trying several young wines from Goodfellow, and then tasting a few older wines, I realized that I wanted to follow these over time. So I buckled down, and picked out one red, and one white. Six bottles of each, so that ai can have a couple early, and then follow them over many years.

Patrick T a y l o r
BerserkerDay Council
BerserkerDay Council

#33 Post by Patrick T a y l o r »

D@vid Bu3ker wrote: April 8th, 2021, 6:50 pm After trying several young wines from Goodfellow, and then tasting a few older wines, I realized that I wanted to follow these over time. So I buckled down, and picked out one red, and one white. Six bottles of each, so that ai can have a couple early, and then follow them over many years.
I have a similar strategy. Which ones did you choose?
The enemy of the good is the prefect.

Vince L.

#34 Post by Vince L. »

Wish I had space to do something like that; i'm trying to figure out how many I can actually purchase and have room to hold them/drink them
l 3 r t

Scott Tallman

#35 Post by Scott Tallman »

4 x Richard’s Cuvee Chardonnay
3 x Durant Chardonnay
3 x Temperance Hill Chardonnay (can’t wait to try)
2 x Oracle Pinot Noir (really interested to see how Marcus interprets this vineyard)

The SVD Pinots are great, but saving what little room I have for the block and Heritage Pinots, especially Lewman, Whistling Ridge & Temperance. May come back for a bottle of the Pinot Gris and drink it alongside a similar 2019 wine from Championship Bottle.

Don’t sleep on the Syrah! As with all Marcus’ wines, it needs a lot of time to really strut its stuff, but I’d expect 2013 to be entering a good place. Looking forward to checking in on one of mine this summer.
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#36 Post by c fu »

What's the difference between the Block, Heritage and these pinots?
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#37 Post by Rodrigo B »

Charlie, the current offer just single vineyard wines, the Block Pinot Noirs are wines made from specific vineyard blocks in the single vineyards Marcus works with. Here's Marcus' answer as to what makes a Heritage wine viewtopic.php?p=2995064#p2995064
B r @ g @

JonathanG
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#38 Post by JonathanG »

great. another enabler thread. I was adamant I wasn't buying any, and now I'm going to end up ordering 2 cases. WB is the most expensive "free" website in cyberspace.
J0|\|@+h@|\| Gr@h/\/\/-\|\||\|

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#39 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

Patrick T a y l o r wrote: April 8th, 2021, 7:47 pm
D@vid Bu3ker wrote: April 8th, 2021, 6:50 pm After trying several young wines from Goodfellow, and then tasting a few older wines, I realized that I wanted to follow these over time. So I buckled down, and picked out one red, and one white. Six bottles of each, so that ai can have a couple early, and then follow them over many years.
I have a similar strategy. Which ones did you choose?
Whistling Ridge Pinot and Temperance Chard.
Last edited by D@vid Bu3ker on April 9th, 2021, 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Crutchfield
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Chris Crutchfield »

Quick question: how similar is the 2019 Temperance Hill Chardonnay to the Berserker Cuvee? IIRC it was also supposed to come from Temperance Hill.

JDavisRoby
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#41 Post by JDavisRoby »

Marcus, any additional thoughts on the Oracle bottling that wasn’t in the release email?
Joshu@

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#42 Post by Marcus Goodfellow »

Chris Crutchfield wrote: April 9th, 2021, 5:51 am Quick question: how similar is the 2019 Temperance Hill Chardonnay to the Berserker Cuvee? IIRC it was also supposed to come from Temperance Hill.
Definitely different. The Berserker Cuvee was raised in a 2 year old 500L puncheon. It’s a really good representation of the power and balance of Temperance Hill.

The vineyard designate is primarily from an older 820L puncheon, that really shows why the bigger barrels are so great for Chardonnay. The 820s do such a good job of providing the benefits of barrel ferments(without implying that stainless is inferior) but staying out of the way of the vineyard. The detail in the Temperance Hill bottling is defnitely up,in my opinion, from the Berserker Cuvee.
Winemaker & Owner

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#43 Post by Marcus Goodfellow »

JDavisRoby wrote: April 9th, 2021, 9:48 am Marcus, any additional thoughts on the Oracle bottling that wasn’t in the release email?
Hi Josh,

Sorry if I confused anyone, but the Oracle in the release is the only bottling.

We looked at either a Heritage designate(as there isn’t one from Durant in 2019) and also at releasing this bottling in the fall with the Block bottlings(it’s definitely of that quality), but ultimately chose to release it now as part of this group.
Winemaker & Owner

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#44 Post by Marcus Goodfellow »

c fu wrote: April 8th, 2021, 6:47 pm
Jason R. wrote: April 8th, 2021, 6:14 pm In for two mixed cases. Hard to narrow it down with so many great wines!!
this is my issue too! There's so much wine i don't even know what to order. I'm paralyzed LOL.

There's even a syrah/viognier!? Pinot gris!?

This is just the spring release?!
We dabbled(?) with a planting of Willamette Valley Syrah from 2008-2016. I loved it to be honest, but when the vineyard was sold in 2016 I stepped away from the fruit. It’s a really fun wine.

The Gris is skin contact, but picked very early. 11.6%, and a very copper colored wine that is most closely aligned with Rose. 20% whole cluster and on skins for 44 days though. Elevage was Acacia and an old neutral oak barrel. We stirred lees a bit to drop color down, and the extended elevage helped to add a bit of silkiness and texture and shifted the color more into copper hues.

Lots of great wines, and Chardonnays are just outstanding.
Winemaker & Owner

Ron Slye
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#45 Post by Ron Slye »

JonathanG wrote: April 8th, 2021, 10:48 pm great. another enabler thread. I was adamant I wasn't buying any, and now I'm going to end up ordering 2 cases. WB is the most expensive "free" website in cyberspace.
This is my problem too. I talked myself down from ordering two cases, and ordered one. But have decided to drop another annual purchase and replace it with Goodfellow. I have a good deal of the other, and the prices on Goodfellow are less. I don't know enough to say whether I am also stepping up or down in quality, but even if down these are still great wines in my experience. I really like what Marcus and Megan have been doing. The one I am dropping is California, so it is also nice to move to something a bit closer, though still a state away!

So I am rationalizing this that in the long run I will save money by dropping the other producer (ahem, assuming I have the strength to do that when the time comes.....)

Rick Allen
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#46 Post by Rick Allen »

I'm in for three cases of Chardonnay, and will probably end up getting more.

Brian Glas

#47 Post by Brian Glas »

JonathanG wrote: April 8th, 2021, 10:48 pm great. another enabler thread. I was adamant I wasn't buying any, and now I'm going to end up ordering 2 cases. WB is the most expensive "free" website in cyberspace.
My feelings exactly.... :) I'm running out of room which is limiting my purchases more than anything... Vincent Fritzsche just dropped some wine on Tuesday and I have a giant pyramid building on the floor of my cellar. Soon I'll have to hire some of those pushers that work on the Toyko subway to shove all of the wine in there so I can close the door.

JDavisRoby
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#48 Post by JDavisRoby »

Marcus Goodfellow wrote: April 9th, 2021, 9:51 am
JDavisRoby wrote: April 9th, 2021, 9:48 am Marcus, any additional thoughts on the Oracle bottling that wasn’t in the release email?
Hi Josh,

Sorry if I confused anyone, but the Oracle in the release is the only bottling.

We looked at either a Heritage designate(as there isn’t one from Durant in 2019) and also at releasing this bottling in the fall with the Block bottlings(it’s definitely of that quality), but ultimately chose to release it now as part of this group.
Thanks. Great to hear you put it on par with the Block & Heritage bottlings. Having met David at your winery makes me want to try these even more.

Although, I didn’t word my question well. I was curious if there was any nerdy/Berserker level insight or info on this new vineyard or bottling that you didn’t include in the email.
Joshu@

JBrochu

#49 Post by JBrochu »

Rodrigo B wrote: April 8th, 2021, 10:40 pm Charlie, the current offer just single vineyard wines, the Block Pinot Noirs are wines made from specific vineyard blocks in the single vineyards Marcus works with. Here's Marcus' answer as to what makes a Heritage wine viewtopic.php?p=2995064#p2995064
Thank you for posting that link. So much interesting information, and I'm even more excited about my recent order now.
J@hn

Ian H
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by Ian H »

Good thing I checked Berserkers as I totally missed the e-mail! Interested in it all but the Richard's Cuvee Chard has been mind-blowing to me so will be sure to have some of that in the order.
@@S

Return to “Wine Talk”