What de Négoce wine are you drinking tonight?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: What de Négoce wine are you drinking tonight?

#851 Post by Mike R »

Cam - any idea when the individual bottle store will launch?
... 0 p 3 r

Timothy B a l l a r d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#852 Post by Timothy B a l l a r d »

Cam-
Email me if you want a couple of these PETS I've got...we can sort out the details...Cheers. Tim

Bought that OG 146- Thanks.

Timothy B a l l a r d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#853 Post by Timothy B a l l a r d »

Question for Cam-

How does OG 146 compare to say OG 11? Both were ~$175ish/ from originating winery, both are 2017s. I've had one OG 11, thought it was terrific.
Thank You. Tim

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#854 Post by MatthewT »

Timothy B a l l a r d wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 3:47 pm Question for Cam-

How does OG 146 compare to say OG 11? Both were ~$175ish/ from originating winery, both are 2017s. I've had one OG 11, thought it was terrific.
Thank You. Tim
It's a good question! I thought OG 11 was good but not $175 good. Also was half the price. Anyway, I bought both!
I'm a Turk

R Roberts

#855 Post by R Roberts »

• 2018 de Négoce Zinfandel OG N.61 - USA, California, Sonoma County, Dry Creek Valley (2/23/2021)
    I think I experienced bottle shock first hand- and I'm really excited about this wine now. In November, it was still a bit open showing its fruit, but not much. In January my notes show primarily muted savory notes. Now about 5 months after bottling, its changed once again, this time much for the better. All of the things smelled and tasted prior are still there, just much stronger. Bramble on the nose, juicy red fruit on the palate that just lasts with a creamy mouthfeel. Medium acid, medium/full bodied, gentle tannin.
R.ama

R Roberts

#856 Post by R Roberts »

Catching up on this thread, was wondering what this mention of 146 was about since I didn't see it. Searching the site, I see it was offered to "top De Négoce customers" and is now sold out. I don't have a problem with that, but am curious what the cut off is for "top De Négoce customers".
R.ama

Timothy B a l l a r d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#857 Post by Timothy B a l l a r d »

R Roberts- Cam has that answer- likley not going to provide a set number.

Purchases for me approach 60 cases. Many I've split with friends (need to), all wines shared with them are well received - no complaints yet. OG 146 will be split 3 ways, again all my friends thank me. One has stopped buying wines from other discount websites- these are better wines at better pricing. Cam will open a "storefront" so some of these older releases might become available- maybe for a short tme. Cheers.

PM me if you want some older releases...I'm in Santa Clara Cty.

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#858 Post by Nate Simon »

Given a couple of positive reviews here, I opened a 135 Carignan last night. Decanted about three hours before I tried it. It definitely has a lot of the “high-toned“ stuff noted elsewhere. Lots of really bright fruit, but also pretty wound up. After about four hours, it had softened up a bit. Bottom line, I think this is a really good wine that will be very enjoyable, and probably needs about six months to settle out. Very happy with the value on this one.

Jeff O
GCC Member
GCC Member

#859 Post by Jeff O »

Thanks for providing your additional perspective on N.135 Carignan, Nate. As much as I enjoyed the contrast of the initial fruit hit followed by the long earthy/floral/zesty finish on Day 1, the wine had definitely smoothed out into a more cohesive end-to-end experience by Day 2. Even though the flavors were more muted, it had not degraded (either into a sharpness or a flatness) as I had feared. I too have decided to let the magic continue doing its thing in the bottle for a bit, but I'm not sure that I can wait a full 6 months. As soon as the warmth of late spring/early summer emerges I'm sure the remaining bottles will be calling my name for a rendezvous on the deck.
0 w 3 n $

rwstorer
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#860 Post by rwstorer »

Opened up an N.40 last night and had these TN thoughts:

I popped this bottle and then ran it through an aerator. Aromas of black fruits and alcohol blowing off. Initial flavor of “wow, this is so young.” However, very well-made and it will be interesting to see what happens. After 20 minutes in the glass it started rounding out and went from a light body to a medium body. If I’m honest, right now this is an enjoyable 89 point wine, but I think in another year or two, this will gain weight and become something quite nice in the 90 to 92 point range. Either way the QPR is fantastic
R o g e r in San Diego

Cameron Hughes
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#861 Post by Cameron Hughes »

Mike R wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 10:44 am Cam - any idea when the individual bottle store will launch?
shooting for next week...we'll see how testing goes this week however.

Cameron Hughes
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#862 Post by Cameron Hughes »

R Roberts wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 5:55 pm
  • 2018 de Négoce Zinfandel OG N.61 - USA, California, Sonoma County, Dry Creek Valley (2/23/2021)
    I think I experienced bottle shock first hand- and I'm really excited about this wine now. In November, it was still a bit open showing its fruit, but not much. In January my notes show primarily muted savory notes. Now about 5 months after bottling, its changed once again, this time much for the better. All of the things smelled and tasted prior are still there, just much stronger. Bramble on the nose, juicy red fruit on the palate that just lasts with a creamy mouthfeel. Medium acid, medium/full bodied, gentle tannin.
glad to hear it...that wine has lots of underlying structure/firm acidity so expect it to continue to improve rapidly in the bottle over the next couple of months.

Cheers! CH

Luca Giupponi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#863 Post by Luca Giupponi »

Pobega'd a #77 WV Chardonnay as soon as it was delivered (it was practically at cellar temperature already). My wife took a sip, her eyes lit up, and she said "whoa, this is really good!"

At this point it doesn't really matter what I think of it 😀 Thanks Cam!
These users thanked the author Luca Giupponi for the post:
Mike R

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#864 Post by Mike R »

Luca Giupponi wrote: February 25th, 2021, 2:32 pm Pobega'd a #77 WV Chardonnay as soon as it was delivered (it was practically at cellar temperature already). My wife took a sip, her eyes lit up, and she said "whoa, this is really good!"

I've been waiting on this one for a LONG time. I have two cases on the way, and very excited to hear its good!
... 0 p 3 r

Luca Giupponi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#865 Post by Luca Giupponi »

Mike R wrote: February 25th, 2021, 2:36 pm
Luca Giupponi wrote: February 25th, 2021, 2:32 pm Pobega'd a #77 WV Chardonnay as soon as it was delivered (it was practically at cellar temperature already). My wife took a sip, her eyes lit up, and she said "whoa, this is really good!"

I've been waiting on this one for a LONG time. I have two cases on the way, and very excited to hear its good!
I am really enjoying it too. I have little experience with Oregon Chardonnay to speak intelligently about it (bought a lot of it on BD so I'm looking forward to get some comparisons) but this is pretty amazing. I'd get another case just based on this first bottle.
These users thanked the author Luca Giupponi for the post:
Mike R

Stephen Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#866 Post by Stephen Faulkner »

Cam - two questions:

Why is 146 labelled "Reserve" and 145, all "Reserve", isn't?

Any other shipping updates, esp. those that were originally going out in January?

Thanks!

Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member

#867 Post by Eric White »

Great to hear it, I'm pretty excited about this one. Still wondering if it's Gran Moraine...

K Kl@dder

#868 Post by K Kl@dder »

Had a #82 right off the truck last night. Bottle still cool to the touch when I pulled it out of the box and opened it. Flavors seemed a bit relaxed, no hard edges, opened up a little as it warmed in the glass, but never really got to what I would expect is the full blown flavor profile over 2 glasses. Did have some prominent tannins that got a bit stronger with time in glass. Put the cork back in and will revisit it tonight.
These users thanked the author K Kl@dder for the post:
Henry Ip
K e i t h

Henry Ip

#869 Post by Henry Ip »

K Kl@dder wrote: February 26th, 2021, 7:58 am Had a #82 right off the truck last night. Bottle still cool to the touch when I pulled it out of the box and opened it. Flavors seemed a bit relaxed, no hard edges, opened up a little as it warmed in the glass, but never really got to what I would expect is the full blown flavor profile over 2 glasses. Did have some prominent tannins that got a bit stronger with time in glass. Put the cork back in and will revisit it tonight.
Thanks for the review.

I was thinking about opening a bottle of #82 tonight as mine just arrived. [cheers.gif]

Cameron Hughes
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#870 Post by Cameron Hughes »

Stephen Faulkner wrote: February 25th, 2021, 3:29 pm Cam - two questions:

Why is 146 labelled "Reserve" and 145, all "Reserve", isn't?

Any other shipping updates, esp. those that were originally going out in January?

Thanks!
Hi Stephen - things are rolling again east of Rockies if that's what you mean? I know we have a few wines that saw bottling delays Like N.103 and N.106 Walla Walla Malbec and Tempranillo.

Anyhow, for any specific wine or order you'd have to hit up Mickey at support@denegoce.com and we'll get you taken care of.

Also, I don't think the labels actually have reserve on them...if one of the mockups on the website does it because designer saw it on the spreadsheet as a "reserve" and likely mistakenly included it and I missed it on the mockup...it would have been caught later either in the COLA or label printing review process.

Cameron
Last edited by Cameron Hughes on February 26th, 2021, 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cameron Hughes
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#871 Post by Cameron Hughes »

Henry Ip wrote: February 26th, 2021, 9:07 am
K Kl@dder wrote: February 26th, 2021, 7:58 am Had a #82 right off the truck last night. Bottle still cool to the touch when I pulled it out of the box and opened it. Flavors seemed a bit relaxed, no hard edges, opened up a little as it warmed in the glass, but never really got to what I would expect is the full blown flavor profile over 2 glasses. Did have some prominent tannins that got a bit stronger with time in glass. Put the cork back in and will revisit it tonight.
Thanks for the review.

I was thinking about opening a bottle of #82 tonight as mine just arrived. [cheers.gif]
I tasted this a few weeks ago and posted some notes but this is the gist...pungent oak, ass-backwards and brooding, monster on the palate with tremendous structure but still just a baby...not talking much at this point. The wines will open up a bit overnight but even then they aren't going to flower or coalesce...that takes time in the bottle. You have 12 so maybe worth a shot just to see how it evolves but that wine won't really be expressing for another 12 months i suspect.
These users thanked the author Cameron Hughes for the post (total 2):
Bob Hoelting, Henry Ip

rsmithjr

#872 Post by rsmithjr »

Just decanted a # 42. Will have some tonite with a fat juicy prime NY strip....
Roger Smith- Longtime wine drinker and bon vivant' and unofficial De Negoce' FANBOY.....

Stephen Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#873 Post by Stephen Faulkner »

Thanks, Cameron, I know we appreciate you being active here.

Paul Flynn
GCC Member
GCC Member

#874 Post by Paul Flynn »

Oh crap! UPS shows 9 cases being delivered next week. My wife is going to shoot me!
Paul

“I have to have the most expensive thing, not because it’s the most expensive but because it costs more”

Cordelia Chase

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#875 Post by Mike R »

Paul Flynn wrote: February 26th, 2021, 1:25 pm Oh crap! UPS shows 9 cases being delivered next week. My wife is going to shoot me!
I am PRAYING that the cases that are coming to me are staggered and don't all ship at once. I honestly don't know what I'm gonna do if 9 cases show up on the same day.
... 0 p 3 r

Chr!s G|@rn3r

#876 Post by Chr!s G|@rn3r »

Paul Flynn wrote: February 26th, 2021, 1:25 pm Oh crap! UPS shows 9 cases being delivered next week. My wife is going to shoot me!
Just build a fort with your cases of wine to protect you
These users thanked the author Chr!s G|@rn3r for the post:
BjeanG

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#877 Post by PeterH »

I finally got around to trying a few of the OGs that should be, and are, more ready to drink.

No 65 Willamette Valley Pinot Noir is just as Cam described in the offering. Fruit forward, ready to drink, yet not sweet or flabby. It clearly shows WV character. While not complex or profound, it is satisfying.
I'm sure it will get better with another year or two in the bottle, and hold strong at least five.
It certainly should put to rest the notion that you can't get a domestic Pinot worth drinking for less than $20. Even with taxes and shipping it came to a bit over $15.

Nos 83 and 84 are a pair of Washington Semillon and a Semillon,Chenin Blanc blend. Both were well balanced and a good food match. Once again, these were not made to be blockbuster wines, which is a good thing. Washington whites need to be made with restraint. Over-ripeness is the enemy given the warm days that don't cool enough at night. Both wines have enough fruit to give interest, and refreshing acidity. They are clearly not supermarket whites, and a great deal at de Negoce prices.
These users thanked the author PeterH for the post:
Bob Hoelting
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

Michael Martin

#878 Post by Michael Martin »

135 Old Vine Carignane
Red fruits, white pepper, red licorice with a mineral finish.
Popped and poured. Good from the start. Reminds me of a quality lighter bodied Zin like Esola from Bedrock.
Favorite OG yet. Screaming deal for $9.
Seems like a near term drinker to enjoy the delicate fruit.
These users thanked the author Michael Martin for the post:
Rich Brown

L Harris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#879 Post by L Harris »

Drank another bottle of N.48 last night. Have enjoyed them all but it is evolving beautifully. My first bottle a couple months ago really opened up after about 2 hours of decant, whereas las nights was beautiful right after popping the cork. Very pleased with this one.

Also had another bottle of 73 and continue to really like that as a sipper or accompaniment to food. Not too buttery or oaky but definitely Chardonnay - great way to relax after unboxing, cataloguing and putting away the 10 other cases of dN wine that arrived that afternoon!
L u k e

Rohit B

#880 Post by Rohit B »

Going "against medical advice" and poured N.82 into the decanter this morning. Giving it a ~10 hour decant--will report back.
13 h @ n

Paul Flynn
GCC Member
GCC Member

#881 Post by Paul Flynn »

31 tonight.
Paul

“I have to have the most expensive thing, not because it’s the most expensive but because it costs more”

Cordelia Chase

K Kl@dder

#882 Post by K Kl@dder »

Day 2 - fruit starting to show, still tannic. Enjoyed the last glass. I’m feeling this will be a rockstar in a year or two
K e i t h

Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member

#883 Post by Eric White »

cracked in to a No. 57, St. Helena Cab, and is exactly as billed. Decanted for about 4 hours. Full throttle, tons of cassis and tons of new oak. This will need a little time for that oak to integrate, but the palate is seamless, rich, and yes - hedonistic. This is not a style that will suit everyone, but I still like these wines from time to time, and this is another winner.

M@ttM00re

#884 Post by M@ttM00re »

Has anyone cracked a 97 viognier (Walla Walla) yet? Just received mine this weekend (east coast).

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#885 Post by Brian Tuite »

Greg Dal Piaz did a comprehensive report on a blind tasting he did of 12 Cabernet Sauvignon based wines, 8 de Negoce and 4 store bought bottles. Fun read —> https://www.simplybetterwines.com/de-ne ... ignon.html
These users thanked the author Brian Tuite for the post (total 2):
Rodrigo B, Scott K
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

Rohit B

#886 Post by Rohit B »

• 2018 de Négoce OG N.82 Meritage - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley (2/27/2021)
    10 hour decant. No rating for the moment, but this is VERY promising. Needs a year to come together, but has the stuffing to go the distance in the cellar.

Nose is extremely tight; I’m maybe getting cassis but I also pick up an almond note. Rich red and dark fruits dance on the palate, the acidity is present and elevates the fruit, while a hint of oak supports the structure. The tannins dominate the finish with flavors of plum, cassis, and oak.

I think this has the potential to be a CT93+ wine. Put this away and forget about it for 5 years if you can help yourself (I clearly could not). Cam and DN did well here.
Posted from CellarTracker
13 h @ n

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#887 Post by Rodrigo B »

Very interesting and comprehensive review of some of de Negoce wines. I also like the little nod to Wine Berserkers there. Thanks for sharing Brian
These users thanked the author Rodrigo B for the post:
Brian Tuite
B r @ g @

Craig Pichette
GCC Member
GCC Member

#888 Post by Craig Pichette »

M@ttM00re wrote: February 28th, 2021, 5:28 am Has anyone cracked a 97 viognier (Walla Walla) yet? Just received mine this weekend (east coast).
I thought I posted a note last night but I must not have hit submit. Anyway, I did open one. Very typical of new world viognier. The nose is very expressive with floral, peach, and lime. In the mouth it's the same flavor profile. Medium/light palate weight. It's not cloying or honeyed like many new world viogniers. I think it's pretty balanced. I would like a touch more acid. I think Cam's notes were pretty accurate. This will be nice on the patio in spring/summer. My wife and I like Viognier and we both enjoyed this wine. A steal at $10-ish delivered. I'd buy another case if offered. Mine was delivered on Thursday and I popped it on Saturday.
These users thanked the author Craig Pichette for the post:
M@ttM00re

ekwartler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#889 Post by ekwartler »

Popped #87 tonight. Very happy with where it is right now, especially with a fat NY strip. Definitely putting it in the cellar defender rack.
E r i c

Bryan Cottriel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#890 Post by Bryan Cottriel »

I opened #1 today. I was very surprised how it smelled when I opened it. I didn’t try it, but decanter it for 6 hours. We had it with some Morgan Ranch sous vide filet tails. Man has it changed and is drinking really nicely. It had a lot of good fruit and some decent structure. I’m stoked I bought this.

larry schaffer

#891 Post by larry schaffer »

Bryan Cottriel wrote: February 28th, 2021, 9:53 pm I opened #1 today. I was very surprised how it smelled when I opened it. I didn’t try it, but decanter it for 6 hours. We had it with some Morgan Ranch sous vide filet tails. Man has it changed and is drinking really nicely. It had a lot of good fruit and some decent structure. I’m stoked I bought this.
Curious - what did it smell like upon opening?

Cheers.
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Bryan Cottriel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#892 Post by Bryan Cottriel »

larry schaffer wrote: February 28th, 2021, 11:12 pm
Bryan Cottriel wrote: February 28th, 2021, 9:53 pm I opened #1 today. I was very surprised how it smelled when I opened it. I didn’t try it, but decanter it for 6 hours. We had it with some Morgan Ranch sous vide filet tails. Man has it changed and is drinking really nicely. It had a lot of good fruit and some decent structure. I’m stoked I bought this.
Curious - what did it smell like upon opening?

Cheers.
Blackberry, vanilla, flower shop, cedar, sage and cassis. It's obviously young and still a little closed, but I'm much happier now then after the first bottle I had.

Hank Victor

#893 Post by Hank Victor »

Really impressed with #40 this weekend.
- ITB
Take a chance, Columbus did..

ChrisWolff

#894 Post by ChrisWolff »

Drank my 2nd bottle of #40 Diamond Mountain Cab and first drink since it arrived months ago. Very happy with the purchase and how it is developing. Pretty amazing how light the body was on opening, but 1 hour in the decanter thickened it up. The minerality, fruit and bramble are very well balanced. Hope it continues to get better but very good now

Jonah P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#895 Post by Jonah P »

Had #77 and #54 this past weekend. I guess I'm piling on at this point, but #77 is fantastic. If this is going to get better, I'm floored. Not that they're related, but I bought #130 purely on the strength of this. Agree with all who say to drink at cellar temp. The acid to fruit ratio was just too high for me at this point. Seems like a very well made wine, just not my style at the moment. I'm hoping it smooths out a bit with a few years in the cellar. Should be a big winner for all those who bag on typical Napa cabs.
J o n a h P e t c h e s k y

Kyle S chaffer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#896 Post by Kyle S chaffer »

opened 83, 84, and 93 (the two mixed whites from columbia valley and the mendocino Zin) two nights ago. My wife was having a few friends over and because I was feeling lazy and these had just arrived, I suggested these. So, they had been off the ups truck 24 hours. I didn't get to try them but everyone loved both whites and universally disliked the zin. Feedback recited to me was "overly sweet, manufactured, tasted like cheap wine" said unhappily like I had served up something bad to close friends she hadn't seen in months.

There was 1/3 bottle left last night so I poured myself a glass of the zin (the whites were gone!). I didn't get her notes at all - to me it was squarely down-the-middle zin.... sweet but just fruity, not candied and not overly, with some interesting character and backbone. I was happy. I don't know if day 2 was the difference, or different palates, but was curious if anyone else had tried yet? No notes in CT. Possibly consider a long decant? Probably more effort than you want for a $9 wine.

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#897 Post by Jay $$ Winton »

91 opened
Immaturity-my life, not my wine.

J Vannes

#898 Post by J Vannes »

I pulled a #96 (Dry Creek Cab) and did a p'n'p almost right off the truck.

It showed nicely right away - but after an hour it was really in good shape, with the fruit on the palate and spice undertones that I generally associate with Dry Creek wines. I know it should be salted away for a couple of months but was pleasantly surprised how eminently drinkable it was right away. Put it up against a random bottle of grocery store red and it wasn't even close - you could really tell that the 96 had a lot more structure and backup that will nicely unfurl over the next few months.

Although I doubt this case will live that long; at this rate i don't know whether any of my 96es will live to see the month of May.
Of all the Jeffs you know, I'm the Jeffest.

Kevin N

#899 Post by Kevin N »

Popped open my first bottle of the short offering on N.78 Cabernet. It's drinking really nicely right now and will probably age very well too. Really well integrated and balanced with the fruit and wood. Plenty of dark fruit/cassis, a little vanilla, flinty earthiness and not overly dry on the finish. Well balanced and delicious.
Nieminen

ekwartler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#900 Post by ekwartler »

Jay $$ Winton wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 1:45 pm 91 opened
I've opened three bottles of it since I received it. I love this wine, but it is still fluctuating. Definitely going to reserve at least 3-4 for longer aging, but I bought these as cellar defenders so I'm going to drink most of them as such.

Tonight I opened #75, which has also served us very well. Not nearly as hot as I expected at 15.8%. Getting 123, 102, and 135 tomorrow so these may go on the backburner for a while.
E r i c

Return to “Wine Talk”