Search found 45 matches

Return

by c fu
February 10th, 2019, 1:05 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Example of highly allocated, yet inexpensive wines?

Gotta know the right board members who buy this in pallet-sized quantities! [wink.gif] Damn LA flippers! More complaints about the unmoderated acquisition of northern Rhône wine? Guys. Our kids have expensive preschools out here in Los Angeles. Costs more than Alfert’s mortgage in Orlando. Corrupt ...
by loren.grossman
December 8th, 2020, 2:38 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sky Zinfandel Anyone?

I am amazed that you have not had this wine. It has been, IMHO, the single best iteration of zinfandel from Napa Valley for as long as I can remember. Further, the folks who make that wine, Lore Olds and his daughter Skyla, could not be more salt of the earth. They march to their own drummer and are...
by Robert.A.Jr.
December 21st, 2020, 5:46 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: It's critic bingo! ("Lifted by metallic minerality")

Syntax duly amended. In this context, I was using the term to refer to white wines of broad commercial appeal that don't challenge the taster or require aging. I guess I could have written "commercial", but somehow that always sounds rather sneering... How about "of broader appeal&qu...
by William Kelley
December 22nd, 2020, 7:38 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You know, I was pondering this all day, and I think my usage was an example of me forgetting how to speak English. In French, "consensuel" can be used to refer to people, situations or things that are easygoing, avoiding controversy or disagreement, and unlikely to surprise. e.g. "mo...
by Robert.A.Jr.
December 22nd, 2020, 8:35 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

William,

Sir Charles is a hunting and fine burgundy aficionado. I’m thinking gator, wild boar, dove, quail, deer and whatever we can catch with our poles. Can you “shotgun” beers? Invariably a challenge will ensue.
by Jayson Cohen
December 24th, 2020, 6:59 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

TN: 2019 Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Kabinett (AP 3)

2019 Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Kabinett (AP 3) In my view no Mosel grower has been more consistent and consistently outstanding over the 23 years I’ve been cellaring German Pradikat Riesling than the Schaefers. So it’s not surprising that in my cellar, which is more than a quarter Riesling,...
by Keith Levenberg
December 24th, 2020, 1:53 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cellar Tracker wine scores

Wine scoring or rating is a controversial subject. A particular score by the Wine Advocate or Wine Spectator may carry a lot of weight for some and mean relatively little to others. For me, depending on the circumstances, the cellar tracker score can be the most useful or meaningful. When I say &qu...
by MikeF
December 26th, 2020, 7:24 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Leroy Savignys

I've had the 02 a few times over the years and it is a great bottle. That price is irrational but the wine is more than in a league of its own vs the other producers listed.
by William Kelley
December 27th, 2020, 5:51 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Leroy Savignys

I think by focusing on the pricing, I may have framed my original question poorly. Savigny Narbantons generally can be made into perfectly nice wines. But even if you take those made by the best producers, it is still a third tier Burgundy. Lovely, but never that profound. Except it seems for Leroy...
by Jeremy Holmes
December 27th, 2020, 5:19 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: TN: 2002 Salon Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut (France, Champagne)

Sounds fabulous. Thanks for the note Charlie.
by Larry Link
December 28th, 2020, 9:57 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: TN: 2014 Domaine Ghislaine Barthod Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Charmes

Nice. I love the 14 reds, many have a lithe texture with on point acidity that I find harmonizes with my palate.
by Pat Martin
December 28th, 2020, 9:01 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is it just my palate, or is white wine (and bubbly) more consistently enjoyable than red?

I have asked the same question at many a wine dinner. The answer seems to be that in general we don’t hold white wines to the same exalted expectations that we do for reds. It’s easier to clear a lower bar. That’s not me saying that white wines are not as good as red. But we often expect the stars ...
by Howard Cooper
December 29th, 2020, 2:26 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Off vintages that took you by surprise.

Well if it’s a true off vintage, would we be talking about individual wines?... 1967 l’Evangile has been sublime on many occasions. 1970 Romanee Conti is most sublime! 1976 Lafite really is legit! 1980 maybe not a bad vintage but panned early and don’t know if it ever really got praise. Voillots Vo...
by Jayson Cohen
December 31st, 2020, 10:22 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Classifying farmer fizz

Tastes in Champagne vary so widely that I don't think you're going to get consensus. For example I'm not a fan of Egly Ouriet or Ledru (or Krug for that matter) but many people whose palates I respect adore them. That's exactly my point. Classification should not be about what any one taster likes....
by Frank Murray III
December 31st, 2020, 4:39 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

For me, this topic reminds me similarly of Échelle des Crus. Fortunately, that system is dead. Broadening out to Howard's thought above, you end up with some 5 tiered gradation, which feels similarly subjective to Échelle des Crus. Example...I love Marie Courtin, Larmandier-Bernier, Vilmart, Mousse,...
by William Kelley
January 2nd, 2021, 7:26 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I tend to think that Champagne's big houses lend themselves better to some sort of hierarchical classification than the growers. Producers such as, to pick three examples, Selosse, Lassaigne and Prévost have such strong individual styles that they will necessarily evoke strong personal responses. In...
by Robert.A.Jr.
January 3rd, 2021, 6:02 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: TN: 2014 Clos Roche Blanche Touraine Cuvée Pif

Charlie Carnes wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 5:53 am
Alan Rath wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 7:31 pm man, that's some kind of unicorn wine, never seen it, neither has wine searcher in the states. But it sounds very nice!
Alfert's hunting unis! Sounds cool, I don't think I have ever had one.
Funny to call such an inexpensive wine that. And anything in my cellar is yours my friend!
by Mike Evans
January 3rd, 2021, 7:13 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: TN: 2014 Clos Roche Blanche Touraine Cuvée Pif

I don’t think I ever posted my notes from a CRB afternoon with a couple of friends in October so I may as well put them here. We also had a 2012 No. 5 that was showing well. 2014 Clos Roche Blanche Sauvignon No. 2 - France, Loire Valley, Touraine (10/18/2020) Lovely limey goodness. (91 pts.) 2013 Cl...
by Jayson Cohen
January 3rd, 2021, 10:16 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Let's end 2020 with some fun! Controversial opinions- Burgundy is overrated.

I have the feeling that many people are more tolerant at Burgundy than with other wines. I’m trying to understand what you mean here and the basis for the conclusion. Do you mean that people exaggerate their experiences, are apologists for or deluded about the showing of a particular wine on a part...
by Rich K0rz€nk0
January 3rd, 2021, 10:47 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: TN: 1986 Château Mouton Rothschild (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac)

Thanks. I have one...now to find the “perfect” time to open it. Always the hardest thing isn't it? Last night was the first night it was just Julie and kids. We have had three or more extra people at our house since COVID and really since Thanksgiving a year ago. A few of my son's European golf tea...
by maureen nelson
January 4th, 2021, 3:21 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How would we rate 1982 Bordeaux if they were released today?

The Mouton probably won't get better but will hold for awhile yet. La Mission Haut Brion is still unready for my tastes. Had both about 6 months ago. Good to know re LMHB as i am still waiting to drink my bottles (pre-arrival from Macarthurs. For the person asking what to backfill - Gruaud Larose. ...
by Thomas Keim
January 6th, 2021, 4:33 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

In the spring of 1983, Parker reviewed the 1982 Bordeauxs for the first time and futures prices came out. In DC, there were two great stores for buying these wines - MacArthurs and a brand new store called Calvert-Woodley - there had been two stores Calvert on Wisconsin Ave. and Woodley in Clevelan...
by John Bashford
January 6th, 2021, 6:11 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

1982 was my first Bordeaux buying year of any significance. I bought La Lagune, Leoville Barton, Brane Cantenac, Grand Puy Lacoste, Latour A Pomerol, Leoville Las Cases, Lynch Pages and Pichon Lalande. I've since tasted ( guzzled, delighted in etc ) all the Firsts and famous Rights and many others a...
by Brian S t o t t e r
January 10th, 2021, 10:09 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Generosity of Berserkers

On the New Year’s wine resolutions thread, I posted that one of my resolutions this year was to try riesling kabinett from Von Schubert Maximin Grunhaus and other classic Mosel/Ruwer/Saar producers with serious age on it (20+ years). These are nearly impossible to find at retail or auction since eve...
by A.Gillette
January 10th, 2021, 5:14 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Generosity of Berserkers

Charlie Carnes wrote: January 10th, 2021, 4:54 pm Well we need to fix this. I believe in J Haart’s Pradikats with utmost emphasis!!!
It’s probably better if fewer people like them since they are fairly unobtainable anyway. Kudos to the sender of this 6-pack!
A
by Todd F r e n c h
January 13th, 2021, 2:05 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

BerserkerDay...THIS is why I do it

This just came in from one of the participants of BerserkerDay 12 (and other BerserkerDays...)
We are so appreciative of you and Berserker Day and very excited for this year!

Thanks Todd for honestly being a big reason we survived 2020!
Absolutely filled my heart with joy

flirtysmile
by J. Rock
January 27th, 2021, 10:41 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Flannery Beef *Monopole Cru Offer* (what remains is open for all!)

"It will be beyond the ‘nuttiness’ usually found in dry aged steaks, and will present with a ‘blue cheese’ like scent." Makes me think I might just skip the red wine and go straight for a Gold Kap Auslese Riesling (which, by the way, goes ridiculously well w/ blue cheese Flannery Kali burg...
by Sarah Kirschbaum
January 28th, 2021, 5:51 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Berserker Day debriefing thread....whoooo!

I participated for the first time.

Of note, though - I made my first purchase of New World wine since 2008! Marcus Goodfellow and all who praise his wines broke my streak.
by brigcampbell
January 28th, 2021, 9:25 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Coronavirus in The Asylum

we make the tooling that punches out the masks for 3M Hopefully your business went bonkers. 3M mask N95 production reportedly increased 4x+ over the past year in the US. It should've been 10x! DPA now being used for masks. It should be another banner year for production. RT That's been good. Our ma...
by D@ve D y r 0 f f
January 28th, 2021, 3:21 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Where is Neal Mollen?

Charlie Carnes wrote: January 28th, 2021, 12:07 pm
Alan Rath wrote: January 27th, 2021, 7:44 pm

In all seriousness, what kind of world do we live in where Neal gets a time out before me ;)
Well he wasn’t just caught for littering, he was also caught for creating a nuisance! [rofl.gif]
Group W for sure...
by Paul Miller
January 28th, 2021, 3:23 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote: January 28th, 2021, 3:21 pm
Charlie Carnes wrote: January 28th, 2021, 12:07 pm
Alan Rath wrote: January 27th, 2021, 7:44 pm

In all seriousness, what kind of world do we live in where Neal gets a time out before me ;)
Well he wasn’t just caught for littering, he was also caught for creating a nuisance! [rofl.gif]
Group W for sure...
I wonder if there are any 8x10 glossy photos?
by Todd F r e n c h
January 28th, 2021, 7:44 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Flannery Beef *Monopole Cru Offer* (what remains is open for all!)

"It will be beyond the ‘nuttiness’ usually found in dry aged steaks, and will present with a ‘blue cheese’ like scent." Makes me think I might just skip the red wine and go straight for a Gold Kap Auslese Riesling (which, by the way, goes ridiculously well w/ blue cheese Flannery Kali bur...
by Todd F r e n c h
February 1st, 2021, 3:59 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

BERSERKERDAY 12 RESULTS ARE IN - INSANE RECORDS SET, WOW!!

The results are in, and I can't even believe some of these numbers. We've broken every record imaginable, and by quite a lot in most cases. First, let's look at traffic, yes, the traffic that slowed down the server significantly, some were getting blank screens for a while, needing constantly to ref...
by Jorge Henriquez
February 2nd, 2021, 7:34 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What did he say that was so horrible. I am offended by the fact that he beat me to it. I was suspended for political commentary on EBob three times. Let's see. Time to step up your game! I was given two demerits and put on double secret probation by Fu, but he was wrong both times, which is why I h...
by Todd F r e n c h
February 3rd, 2021, 12:42 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Flannery's 130 day dry aged steak--how is this going down?

I'm trying mine on Saturday. Charlie Carnes had his Pobega'ed the day it arrived!

The last aged Flannery I had was a 100-day NY Strip, reverse seared with the low-and-slow in the smoker, and it was spectacular. Knowing this will be funky, I'll do it the same way
by Rick Smith
February 6th, 2021, 5:17 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

That's the problem when unexperienced junior lawyers get a chance to lord it over senior lawyers who are better at it than they are. . . . I am hoping you guys have a past together and this is a joke. If not, it is a rather unbecoming thing to say. Like east coast rap > west coast rap, east coast l...
by Todd F r e n c h
February 12th, 2021, 4:28 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Took Todd French out to celebrate the record breaking Bersekerday and YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT I SURPRISED HIM WITH

"Dude, I AM looking, that's why I said oh shit" I love it. Yeah, sorry all...for all the children on WB I have offended, oops!!!! (although that would make a GREAT signature!) This was extraordinary, and I want to thank ALL those who chipped in, though it was entirely unnecessary, as this...
by Keith Levenberg
February 15th, 2021, 5:17 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Wineries please note - I am sick of styro shippers

Hi all, thank you so very much for the input. This is incredibly helpful. We will most definitely look into these suggestions! Hi - Just dropping in here (with thanks for your continued customer responsiveness on this board) to urge you not to misinterpret the views of a very vocal segment as a maj...
by John Morris
February 17th, 2021, 10:20 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: RI? Rush Limbaugh

Remind me not to die around these parts. You folks are a tough audience!
by Ethan Abraham
February 26th, 2021, 3:06 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Example of highly allocated, yet inexpensive wines?

Charlie Carnes wrote: February 25th, 2021, 5:58 pm
Howard Cooper wrote: February 25th, 2021, 7:20 am Reds from Ramonet and Bernard Moreau
Rully from Aubert de Villaine
Falkenstein
Seems like it is starting be this way for Zilliken and Reinhold Haart
Emedio Pepe
Chateau Pradeaux
Funny, I was thinking Julian Haart's pradikats.
Julian Haart is sooo much harder to find than Falkenstein.
by Keith Levenberg
February 27th, 2021, 6:04 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The 1980 Burgundy vintage at age 40

I am really digging the stemware Jacques Seysses is brandishing there. Somebody needs to revive those. Truly. I love the old glasses, similar in profile, that they still use at Leroy and used until recently at DRC. Lalou told me she bought a vast number of them back in the day. No one seems to make...
by Keith Levenberg
March 2nd, 2021, 7:12 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Worst Critic (not named Parker)?

Jürgen Steinke wrote: March 1st, 2021, 12:43 pmIs someone a bad critic because he likes a certain style of wine?
Yes, if that style is a crappy one
by Robert.A.Jr.
March 2nd, 2021, 6:41 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Worst Critic (not named Parker)?

Anyone who thinks a Wine Critic views a case of samples as 'gifts' doesn't fully grasp what it means to spend 12+ hours 7 days a week pulling corks and evaluating samples, writing and compiling notes into a publication. For me, add several hundred hours traveling to photograph winemakers for my pub...