Search found 10 matches

Return

by Rick Allen
December 11th, 2020, 7:36 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

Brian, I just shipped 25 cases of Rauch Bock to CA. Look for it. Not as smoky as Schlenkerla, but close.
by Rick Allen
January 1st, 2021, 2:23 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: No CFB, it looks like

Kelly Walker wrote: January 1st, 2021, 1:19 pm It would be great if they permanently moved the Rose Bowl to Texas. Get on the train. The rose would have to be changed to yellow though.
Better yet, leave the Rose Bowl in Pasadena where it belongs, and make it between the champions of the Pac-12 and the Big 10 like it was for 50+ years.
by Rick Allen
January 25th, 2021, 8:42 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

TN: 2010 Eyrie Vineyards Pinot Meunier

I ended up inadvertently buying a case of this (I bought a half a case twice in error), so I've had the chance to try this relatively frequently. At least I did until it became horribly reduced about six years ago. I still had six bottles left, and they were not a pleasant drinking experience, so I ...
by Rick Allen
February 6th, 2021, 9:14 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Whole bunch in burgundy

No ... but.... I have heard of vignerons who destem, keep the stems and add a certain amount back into a fermentation for various reasons (a couple of interviews on “I’ll Drink to That” podcast). They would assess the early fermentation and add a bit. Given the logistics, this would only work if a ...
by Rick Allen
February 9th, 2021, 7:24 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Smoke taint 2020...

John Paul stopped by the Brewery to work on a mutual project and dropped off a shiner of his 2020 Giovanni (mostly Pinot Blanc). No smoke taint at all. John also said that he's seeing lower alcohols with better flavor development because the smoke caused vine to shut down, allowing additional hang t...
by Rick Allen
February 14th, 2021, 2:22 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Oregon aging rule of thumb

I think this is very producer dependent. I will say that in the 1980s we used to figure that the drinking window on Oregon Pinot was about 4-6 years. In the 1990s is was more like 6-10 years. Now is seems like it's 10-20 years.
by Rick Allen
February 15th, 2021, 11:06 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Oregon aging rule of thumb

I have to admit that I've cut back my Oregon Pinot buying because I'm concerned about whether I'll still be around to drink them! Luckily I have enough 2005-2015 bottles to carry me over for the next decade... What are you buying instead that doesn't benefit from a similar cellar routine? As I've g...
by Rick Allen
February 18th, 2021, 10:15 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Where is Neal Mollen?

Welcome back Neal! On a serious note, I particularly missed your insightful legal analysis, part of which may have gotten you into trouble...
by Rick Allen
February 18th, 2021, 10:37 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 36+ hours with no heat or electricity....

Imagine how bad California would after a major earthquake if there were no building codes... That's Texas. More recent construction is probably pretty good, but we have decades and decades of earlier construction that will not fare so well. When the big one eventually hits on either the Hayward fau...
by Rick Allen
February 25th, 2021, 1:15 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

TN: 2019 Cristom Willamette Valley Chardonnay

I was gifted a bottle of this last week. I didn't know that Cristom even made a Chardonnay. They have a new winemaker, and if this bottle is any indication, thing look bright for the winery. Clear pale gold color, lemons and green apples in the nose, predominantly lemons on the palate with some spic...