Search found 10 matches

Return

by R. Frankel
October 18th, 2019, 10:55 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: West Sonoma Coast (Extreme coast/Fort Ross Seaview) Pinot Noirs

This is one of my favorite regions for California Pinot, maybe my favorite. I don’t think of it as fruit forward though (for a huge generalization), instead showcasing fruit married to great balance, minerality, and density. I like many of those mentioned here but especially love Occidental (any, bu...
by R. Frankel
December 21st, 2020, 11:59 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Best value elite Bordeaux?

Plenty of good ideas here. My last hat to throw in the ring is to try an ‘85, a ‘96, and a ‘05. These are all ‘aged’ but will be very different. Figure out what you like before buying a ton.
by R. Frankel
December 24th, 2020, 8:10 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dunn Howell Mountain vs Ridge Montebello

I’ve had more Dunn than MB but have indeed had both. Dunn is, to my palate, a more pure expression of Cabernet. It tends to be more structured and less rich. As a mountain (Howell) Napa Cabernet, it is expressive of California sunshine but to my mind represents a middle of the road between overblown...
by R. Frankel
January 7th, 2021, 5:22 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Aubert and Kistler Dropping on the Same Day

Running Fence is a relatively new vineyard - on the ridge with the winery. Apparently they started planting it in 2012. More info here.

https://occidentalwines.com/vineyards/r ... -vineyard/
by R. Frankel
January 29th, 2021, 1:50 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: BerserkerDay 12 - Offer feedback from the community

Amazing feedback here, especially Patrick’s WOW ideas. If even half of that stuff got done it would be great. IMHO the best way to optimize future BDs is to work with the 108 sellers to help them sell more stuff. If they sell more then by definition we Berserkers are buying more. And buying makes us...
by R. Frankel
February 3rd, 2021, 4:14 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The 100 point scale is pretty useless.

I’m on the side of finding scores (potentially) useful. I like what AndyK and JonathanR wrote. For critics, I expect their scores to be consistent, related to their palate/idea of what makes a good wine, and a wide enough band to provide differentiation (i.e. scoring all wines between 95 and 100 is ...
by R. Frankel
February 5th, 2021, 11:38 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2016 Barolo Notes (added Vajra Barolo Ravera & Coste di Rose)

On the basis of this thread, I bought a few bottles of the 2016 Vajra Albe and opened one tonight. Have I opened Pandora's box in terms of the start of my exploration of Nebbiolo and Barolo? I thought it was excellent, popped and poured - strong tannins, bright acidity, light strawberry that moves ...
by R. Frankel
February 17th, 2021, 11:08 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Pinot: Rhys v. Rochioli v. Aubert v. CA Others v. Burgundy

Yes, there have been many threads on this. So I will just add - Littorai, yes, but especially the Anderson Valley bottlings (Savoy, Cerise, One Acre, Wendling, Roman). A complement to Burgundy. If you can find some with age at the odd auction site, they’re worth a try.
by R. Frankel
February 18th, 2021, 11:50 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Asimov on vintages

With respect to Burgundy vintages, I think I have found only one really general rule. When the wine tastes good young, a lot of people will tell you it won't age - see 2000, 2001, 2002, 2007, 2010, 2017. This is virtually always wrong and the wines age much better than anyone thinks. What a great p...
by R. Frankel
February 20th, 2021, 7:34 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I haven't complained about this recently, so . . .

Complaining about sniping is ... well just complaining. If it makes you feel a little better, then wth. But sniping is just normal, also known as “how to win.” My favorite anti-sniping strategy is to set my max bid 15-20% higher than current bid. Then when my winning bid is way below my max I get th...