Search found 17 matches

Return

by GregT
December 21st, 2014, 11:13 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I don't get Loire Cabernet Franc. They are all thin and watery.

To the OP - the wines are going to be different if you haven't had them. It's not even about acidity and there's no reason you can't like them - I like plenty of Loire reds and I also like Australian Shiraz and Grenache from many regions. You don't have to line up on one side or another of some imag...
by GregT
April 1st, 2016, 10:42 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

TN: Spanish wines dinner (Rioja)

Arv - it's going to be fine. I had a 76 last night and it was beautiful. Haven't done it in a while but I was pleased to find out that I can still distinguish Ribera del Duero from Rioja in a blind tasting and can identify Muga, Rioja Alta and LdH specifically. Muga's classic wines are never great I...
by GregT
April 28th, 2020, 6:03 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How to turn your AP flour into Bread Flour

Curious if anyone knows of a simple primer on flour types, appropriate uses for different applications etc.? I know there are plenty of books out there on the topic, but curious if there is a cheat sheet of sorts that you've used as a go to reference? Joe - I don't have a cheat sheet because I know...
by GregT
January 10th, 2021, 1:14 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Wines with damaged labels...should they sell for a discount?

David Baum wrote: January 7th, 2021, 11:57 am My wine cabinets have metal racks that tear labels all the time. I dont sell em so I dont care but label damage is not always a sign of the storage conditions.
This.

Of course, if one knows how you fling the bottles around when you're looking for the paint cans, one might pause! neener
by GregT
January 12th, 2021, 2:25 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2 Questions about aging rosé

Hi everyone, 1- Why is it that rosé typically does not age well past a year or two? As Wes said, it depends on how it's made. Some are made by bleeding off some juice for a red wine to concentrate the red. That means the grapes were picked at optimal ripeness for the red, not for the rosé. Some are...
by GregT
January 26th, 2021, 6:26 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Wine Drinking History and Aeration

We have become accustomed to tasting notes of the type ‘Began to open up after two hours but was best after seven.’ This extends even to ‘Best the next day.’ It is my distinct impression from reading older books that this way of drinking wine was unknown until the last few decades. It was understoo...
by GregT
February 3rd, 2021, 2:38 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The 100 point scale is pretty useless.

Carrying the logic out to it's conclusion, what is the use of having someone say "I like this wine"? Something 90-95 means the person liked it. If it's 95-100 it means they really liked it. Whether they use words or numbers, the message is the same. If anyone cares what someone else though...
by GregT
February 6th, 2021, 12:01 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Wine to serve with Keen's Mutton Chops??

They're lamb because Americans stopped eating mutton a while ago, feeling that it's too flavorful. I suppose that may change since people are adventurous these days. But last time I was there we had a lot of Spanish wines. In Spain it's not uncommon to have lamb for lunch. But they pretty much go wi...
by GregT
February 9th, 2021, 2:47 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What are you NOT into?

This is not things you actively dislike, or aren't familiar with, but things you enjoy and have realized you have no need to explore beyond the most basic iteration That's a really interesting way to approach it. And it's hard to come up with anything. If I'm interested in something, I almost alway...
by GregT
February 15th, 2021, 12:46 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Young vine wines that are epic

Since everyone knows you need to have really old vines to make great wines A lot of people would disagree with this. A vine needs a sufficient root system. That takes a few years and after that, you don't necessarily get additional benefit. It depends on what gets done to the vines. There has been ...
by GregT
February 16th, 2021, 12:30 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How big of a risk is low humidity for medium-term storage?

I'm storing about 150 bottles in my crawl space. It's at ~8000 ft in Colorado. The temp seems pretty constant around 63-5 (heating pipes run through it), which I understand is on the upper end of the temp range. But the humidity is at ~35%, which is much much lower than anything I've seen recommend...
by GregT
February 17th, 2021, 11:09 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Asimov on vintages

Shocked this hasn’t already appeared on the board, or maybe I missed it... I generally agree with Asimov on this topic, so I’m probably an outlier here in that I rarely use vintage in making purchase decisions, leaning much more towards region/producer/varietal. Thoughts? https://www.nytimes.com/20...
by GregT
February 17th, 2021, 11:27 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Did you know a company like Studio Beverage Group exists?

Yes but this seems on a grander scale. They make the wine, the label, the website. They purposely create a false sense of scarcity and include that fact in their marketing material to online retailers. Just seems deceptive to me. or at the very least not honest. I'm going to stick to estate grown a...
by GregT
February 20th, 2021, 11:06 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rioja

Has anyone else ever suddenly realized that a nice Rioja reserva fills the bill about 80% of the time? I laugh because I routinely spend far more on California and French wines I end up liking a whole lot less! Cheers. champagne.gif Suddenly? No. For about thirty years. And that's why I don't over ...
by GregT
February 22nd, 2021, 1:26 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rioja

Often laughed about Rioja as a beginners wine driven by sweet oak but I agree with the topic starter, often surprises me and almost always pleases me. And In addition to the above mentioned questions: In order to understand Rioja better, does anyone dare to take a shot in categorizing Rioja in a fe...
by GregT
February 25th, 2021, 12:18 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Wine's naturalistic fallacy

Haven't heard ramify used in a long time. Decent article. Obviously, wine is made somehow. What you want to call it or do with it will be where the arguments lie. Thanks Markus. I can't believe I remembered this from forty years ago! It was a rejoinder to Robert Frost's 'Nothing Gold can Stay' Seed...
by GregT
February 25th, 2021, 12:55 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Newbie - Tannin and Red Varietals

Michael David Freakshow Cab 2018 Meiomi Cab 2018 Josh Cellars Bourbon Cab 2018 That's the problem Erika. Those wines are all made to be soft and to appeal to a mass market. Michael-David wines are made from grapes that are picked really ripe and then they may add color. They make the wines to be sof...