Leo's Blind Tasting Club - October 18th

I am the host for October. Once again, we will be at:

Monday, October 18th
Tribeca Grill
375 Greenwich Street
New York, NY 10013
(212) 941-3900
6:30 p.m.

I would like to try to start to pour a sparkling wine flight at/near 6:30 if that is possible. Can people make 6:30 – at least enough people to start drinking – then we can actually eat at 7:00?

Attendees

1. David L. - Confirmed
  2. Caroline - Confirmed
  3. Josh - Confirmed
  4. Ben G. - Confirmed
  5. Leo - Confirmed
  6. Mark S. - Confirmed
  7. Todd Gardella - Confirmed
  8. Open
  9. Open

Updated with the recent cancellation of Jay H. and Rebecca. Anyone else want to join us?

6:30 should be OK for me. Thanks. Looking forward to it.

Josh

Sorry, I no longer can make this date.

Because of LIRR, 6:30 is a stretch, but we’ll get there as soon thereafter as we can.

First post updated to reflect Suzanne’s non-attendance due to a conflict. This opens a spot for any other “member” or, potentially, a waitlist spot for anyone at all. Any takers? I will forward the original invite to Greg and Salil who may not have gotten it. I will ask attendees to confirm next week – but if any conflict comes up, please let me know as soon as possible. Thanks.

Rebecca and I must cancel. We will be away for four days and Monday will be a rest day due to exhaustion.

Very sorry to lose Jay H. and Rebecca (and Suzanne earlier). I have emailed the other attendees to confirm availability. If this drops much lower, we may want to postpone? I have changed the title to reflect the open spots and maybe pick up some additional attendees.

Bump – for open spots. Anyone interested?

Gil: Spectacular job. The quality of the wines was superb and almost all showed beautifully. The food was the usual, great doesn’t begin to do it justice. I particularly liked the fact that I have almost half the wines you brought and I learned a lot about their drinkability.

P.S.- we made the 10:22 by three minutes!

Great to see everyone. As all previous hosts have said, it was really fun to host. Special thanks to Mark for the drive to my car in Harrison, NJ.

For the record, and in case someone wants to start a thread with tasting notes, the wines were:

Champagne

1995 Charles Heidsieck Champagne Blanc des Millénaires (France, Champagne )
1996 Henriot Champagne Brut Millésimé (France, Champagne )

Chablis + ringer

2004 Domaine William Fèvre Chablis Grand Cru Les Preuses ( France , Burgundy , Chablis, Chablis Grand Cru)
2004 Domaine Louis Moreau Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos Clos des Hospices dans les Clos (France, Burgundy , Chablis, Chablis Grand Cru)
2007 Rhys Chardonnay Alpine Vineyard ( USA , California , San Francisco Bay , Santa Cruz Mountains )

1989 Bordeaux

1989 Château Poujeaux (France, Bordeaux , Médoc, Moulis en Médoc)
1989 Château Lynch-Bages (France, Bordeaux , Médoc, Pauillac)
1989 Château Pichon-Longueville Baron (France, Bordeaux , Médoc, Pauillac)

2007 CdP + ringer

2007 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée ( France , Rhône, Southern Rhône , Châteauneuf-du-Pape)
2007 Tablas Creek Esprit de Beaucastel ( USA , California , Central Coast , Paso Robles)
2007 Clos Saint Jean Châteauneuf-du-Pape Vieilles Vignes (France, Rhône, Southern Rhône , Châteauneuf-du-Pape)
2007 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape (France, Rhône, Southern Rhône , Châteauneuf-du-Pape)

Chateau Guiraud vertical (half bottles)

1998 Château Guiraud (France, Bordeaux , Sauternais, Sauternes)
1999 Château Guiraud (France, Bordeaux , Sauternais, Sauternes)
2001 Château Guiraud (France, Bordeaux , Sauternais, Sauternes)
2003 Château Guiraud (France, Bordeaux , Sauternais, Sauternes)

Wow, with the exception of the execrable 4th flight :wink: that sounds like a wonderfully thought out selection! Sorry I had to miss it.

Hope someone posts notes.

Thanks, Jay. I am very sorry you missed it.
And I only decided on the CdP flight after I knew you would not be in attendance…

Gil,

Thanks again for the great wines. Very well done. It was a fun dinner, and the wines did show very well, though for my palate, I will not be running out for any 07 CdP. I thought the Bordeaux flight was excellent and my favorite of the night along with the 89 Lynch Bages being my favorite of the night.

Looking forward to the next installment.

Josh

Gil - Nice lineup of wines. I’m kicking myself for not taking one of the open spots! [cheers.gif]

Looks like we missed a great lineup. Oh well. How did you like the 2001 Guiraud? I have had it about 5 times and I like it a lot.

Sorry, would have loved to have you join us. One of the downsides of “blind” is that there is no way to “advertise” the wines.

The 2003 was the first of my glasses to be empty. The 2001 was next. I usually like Sauternes with some age – maybe the '01 and '03 are just better wines?