Weekly Beer Focus - Barleywines - Feb 18-27

Drink slowly fellow Bersekers as these pack a punch. [drinkers.gif]

Here are some reference pages for help:
Amercian Barleywine
English Barleywine

Have these on hand

I only have this at home, but will stock up during the week!

Hide the women, children, and farm animals! This could get ugly…

I am taking next week off work just in case. neener

This will probably be the only one I drink for this focus week:

2005 J.W. Lees Malt English Barley Wine Lagavulin Cask (England, London)

Stock picture shows 2004 — mine’s a 2005. I purchased my bottle a year ago for $11, and it’s only 9.3oz! Hope it’s good.

Gah I’d rather drink grapeywine or peatywine than barleywine, I think I’ll be sitting this one out :slight_smile:

You have to do one. I did an IPA during IPA week. [tease.gif]

Indeed. Extra strong weaksauce on some of the prominent beer geeks sitting weeks out simply on the style. I’ve made an effort to visit the things I’m not wild about. I took a big one for the team on IPA’s.
[barf.gif]

Step up pussie! Its beer, not wine! [stirthepothal.gif] neener

You mean I could have skipped Flemish Reds. There are some seriously good Barleywines out there, just split it with someone or in my case drink two.

Yo the highschool football team called, they want their hazing back.

Besides, not my fault you guys have bad taste… pffft :slight_smile:

I actually occasionally like barleywine, I have enjoyed the North Coast Old Stock several times but not sure that technically qualifies. I just have been off of big beers for some time, save the rare Delerium…

Raise your hand if you think Josh needs one of these:

[bow.gif]

I’d totally wear that shirt. One of my favorite shirts in high school was a pale pink polo that said “pinko commie fag” - made a good impression in my fairly conservative / christian hood.

If you buy 'em, I’ll drink 'em. I don’t see why I should spend my money on a product that I (know) I don’t like. It’s not like Barleywines are exactly cheap, either. [tease.gif]

Neither were the IPA’s. Smart marketers realize trendy = spendy. neener

Besides, we aren’t talking wine prices. I’ve seen your tabs at Naja’s. You got it. [wink.gif]

[welldone.gif]

you know what else I got?

– a dog for which I have to hire a pet travel agent and buy two airline tickets – total cost: a few grand

– a condo for which I have to install new carpeting

– property taxes

– a leaky shower that needs replacing

– baseboards and sheetrock in two rooms that need replacing, thanks to previous item

– a pretty pathetic bank account that’s going to take a major beating thanks to this list

… can you imagine how much Barleywines would cost if they did get trendy!?! [swoon.gif]

English Old Ales work just fine for me. More malt driven, less aggressively hoppy, more mellow.

You guys got me all scared with your fear and trepidation on Barleywine. [wow.gif]
Nevertheless, will be trying this in the next few days… Nogne #100 from Norway.

Do not pay attention to the girly men and excuse makers, V. Your bravery in the face of beer with some muscle helps frame their lily-livered ways.