2001 Beringer Vineyards Private Reserve Cabernet

Big expressive nose immediately upon opening. The initial taste showed lots of dark red fruits with good acidity but the tannins were gripping on the finish. Into the decanter for 30 minutes and it began to open and show development while being drank over the next 90 minutes. The tannins eased up and the wine was wonderful with a big porterhouse.

This is definitely old style classic cali cab. It is good now with some air, but is not yet at its peak. It should continue to integrate for several years to come and with the structure and fruit it has now, it should last for many more years.

Thanks for the TN Bruce.

I used to by this wine every year…starting with the '84, but after disappointing performances with the '96 and '97, and a string of mediocre vintages from 98-00, I had stopped. I did pick up some of the '01’s though…haven’t had a chance to try one yet though…nice to hear good things.

Thank you for the update Bruce. i have a single bottle of this in my cellar that I don’t plan on opening for a few years, but it is nice to hear that it is doing well! i had it close to release and really enjoyed it but knew i wanted to to wait a while on my bottle.

jeff, I had the 96 4-5 months ago against some other 96s and it showed very well. i had never had it before, so i cant comment on how it was young, but it was in a nice place then.