Bordeaux 2010 EP Pricing

For those that are interested, we typically each year have a thread on EP release dates and prices.
I know some smaller growths and sauternes have been released.
Hopefully, Jeff or someone else can update this thread.

Scott

Thanks for starting this Scott.

So far the limited releases look reasonable but then again they always do (and ares pretty pointless IMO unless you need 4 cases of croissant mouton…) Should be interesting as things pick up but the 1.43+ usdeur doesn’t bode well for us stateside…

Two price points here in Europe:

• Dutruch Grand Poujeaux (Moulis en médoc): $20 USD/btl.
  • Bonalgue (Pomerol): $30 USD/btl.

I bought some of both.

Gazin offered at $83 through TCWC. That is about $30 more than I would be willing to pay.

JJ Buckley has it for $80. Still $27 above your limit.

Gazin was the first widely available top wine to release at 6.67% more than the 2009 price. Despite this the negociants were running around trying to find more stock to fulfil orders from here is the UK. I declined to take up my allocation and am hoping this isn’t a sign of things to come!

Contrast Suduiraut which released on the same day at 10% below their 2009 price and was received in comparative silence. The two wines are pretty much the same price and I know which I would rather have in my cellar! Bill Blatch has just published an interesting article on the relative prices of red Bordeaux and Sauternes based on his records over the last 26 years - interesting reading at Welcome bordeauxgold.com - Justhost.com

I bought 2008 Gazin EP for $53/bottle (RP 94 pts.) 2010 Gazin is priced at $80-85 EP (RP 93-95 pts.) It is only two years later and it is 60% higher in price. No thank you. YMMV.

Byron

While I understand your point, and am appalled at the current BX pricing trend, I don’t think 2008 is a good comparison for pricing. Almost every estate priced their wines very low going into the 2008 EP campaign.

Only thing of real interest today is La Viellle Cure @ €13.00.

2010 Bordeaux futures? I am with the AFLAC goat on this one…Nah

Yes, Zacky’s has Gazin for, I believe, $85. I think it’s clearly an ominous beginning with regard to higher prices for 2010 Bordeaux. I bought 4 wines in each of the 2008 and 2009 vintages, but may not buy any 2010. 2010 sounds a bit like 2000 - thus, a long wait for maturity. What has happened to all of the 2006, 2007, 2008 in the Bordeaux pipeline - are there huge stocks of unsold wine out there, or has much been sold though? pileon

Assuming a chateau made a good wine in 2010, people should expect prices to be up from 2009 between 20% & 30%. 15-20% is due to currency flucuation and the remainder will come from moderate price hikes.

Smart money that likes opulently styled wines should consider 2009, especially the wines from Pomerol. People that prefer more restrained styles, and good values, should be all over the 2008.

I disagree. Based on the UGC tasting, I found very few 2008s that were great and wouldn’t really consider buying more than 3-5 chateau from that year.

I probably bought a dozen wines from 2008. I am very happy with all the wines I purchased. But I understand if others do not agree.

This FUTURES report on CT will also show you what is trending: http://www.cellartracker.com/list.asp?Table=Futures&Vintage=2010

Love data like that - thanks Eric!

Eric,

Great feature and I am sure the current stats are indicative of what has been released thus far. Do you have many international members? It would interesting to see the breakout of USA futures buyers and international futures buyers…not that it would yield definative results, but it would be fun to look at. [cheers.gif]

About 1/3 international, but I don;t have a breakout. Sorry. (BTW, I have actually had this report going back to the 2005 futures campaign.)

Gabe,

I understand your comment, but why would I spend $80-85 EP for 2010 Gazin when the 2008 is currently available in the marketplace for $59. That is a 36-44% premium for a wine that won’t be released for two years.

Byron

While it is not definitive proof of who is buying, many times users will disclose from what store they made their purchase. The main page for the wine will reflect the stores with the largest number of bottles purchased. You will see that almost all purchases so far have been made at stores that are based in the UK.