Temperature/Humidity Sensor

I ordered the $50 temp/humidity sensor from http://www.ambientweather.com/latx60uset.html as per Leslie’s Cellar Construction thread. It’s easy to set up and works great–even for a gadget-impaired person such as I. Will send a warning text to cell phone and 3 email addresses if temp or humidity are outside of pre-decided ranges. Very cool . . .
alan

I actually purchased one also because of Leslie’s thread. I also found it easy to set up and the tracking seems to be working well. I did put it next to a NIST calibrated thermometer, and the TX-60 was a couple of degrees off both for temp and humidity. I emailed the company and they explained that the sensor has a performance tolerance of +/- 2 degrees and +/- 5% humidity, but for $50 I can’t really complain about perfect precision.

John - did you find that the Weather Direct product was higher or lower than your NIST thermometer? My unit seems to be keeping a very steady temperature, though the reading is a few degrees warmer than the A/C in my cellar. Both are between 55-58 so I’m not too worried, as long a they stay that way, but I’m curious to know your experience. Thanks

I’ve been using for a couple of years now. It works great. I’m in Oregon now, and can check on my cellar at any time regarding temp and humidity. As Alan said, it will send text and email if outside set parameters.

+1
Great little product for us wine geeks.

mine is also recording a temperature 2 degrees warmer than three other thermometers in the cellar, as elefkowitz noted.
alan

Hope it works successfully for you, Alan.

Some years ago - actually about 17 years now - I had my home security provider instal a temperature/humidity
unit in my cellar, tied to their monitoring station. Technology is probably significantly advanced since that time,
but this sensor kept sending alerts to the monitoring station and I’d receive a telephone call. On checking the cellar
each time I found conditions to be OK. Needless to say I bypassed the unit permanently. No issues with temperature or
humidity since. [basic-smile.gif]

Hank [cheers.gif]

Just ordered mine. Somebody should get a commission!

Thanks for the post and confirmation on ease of use. Was going to order it soon from Amazon but this seems to be a slightly better price then I recall from Amazon…

I’ve been using Cellar Sensor for almost three yrs now but with my 3yr pre-paid deal expiring soon, this seems like a no-brainer given that it does what I need it to (don’t need the fancy graphs/charts that CS provides) and its basically “free” cost relative to CS - too bad because I really like the CS platform, but just think it is crazy to spend so much more to get the same email elerts (I guess CS adds telephone notification but that isn’t a big deal).

you get telephone alert w/this system, too.
alan

Thanks for pointing that out - for whatever reason I must have missed that in the description of the product when I looked at it a couple months ago.

Mine is actually running 2 degrees cooler than my other thermometer. Humidity is about 5% over. But for practical purposes this is fine with me.

Hey I just ordered a Weather Direct product as well. I’ve been meaning to get something like this so I can see the temperature fluctuations in my passive cellar.

I was actually looking at this one but the weather direct is a pretty nice package for $58. http://www.microdaq.com/lascar/temperature/usb-temp-logger.php

Question : The website says that they only store the temperature history for 1 month. Is that true? That kinda sucks.

Yes. However, you can download the readings to excel and save it regularly.

I love this setup.
I had a problem with my first TX60U. It just stopped communicating with the base for some reason. The new one is working great.
This is a wonderful service and very cheap.
Mine measures within a half of a degree most of the time of my more sensitive thermometer in the cellar. Sometimes it can be a degree off or so. Still close enough since I only care if it goes up 5 degrees or the humidity is persistently high (a problem here in Georgia).

I finally ordered it as I’m going on vacation soon and don’t want sleepless nights if something goes wrong. I ordered two of them as i like everything in pairs (i own two cooling units)

Just chiming in to say how nicely this thing works.

I finally used the bottle temp option and that is doing great. I might order another one just so I could keep tabs on the warmest and coldest parts of the cellar.

Leslie

Just ordered. Hope it can work with the limestone-lined cave…

Maybe…it works in our adobe house…17" walls.

mine came today and I installed one, works fine.