TN- 2009 Jean-Paul Brun Beaujolais L'Ancien Vieilles Vignes

What to serve with home-made mac and cheese? I figured something with high acidity and not a ton of complexity would be nice match for the big flavors involved. Thus…

-2009 Jean-Paul Brun Beaujolais L’Ancien Vieilles Vignes
At first opening, this is crunchy and tight, showing tart red fruits and smoke but not much else, and the palate is one-dimensional. It almost feels like it’s angry to be open. I let it sit open for about 1.5 hours while a dinner of home-made mac & cheese was finished, which really allowed the wine to relax, soften and round out a bit. The nose is full of bright, crunchy cranberries and strawberries and some smoke. The palate is vivacious and full of energy, the wine had relaxed and was much happier to be out and about now, with similar aspects and a lovely minerality that ended in a mid-length finish. Not overly complex but quite enjoyable and as I mentioned this was a perfect foil with the mac & cheese.
Cheers! [berserker.gif]

This is a very good food friendly wine at a great price. For some reason there seems to be a shortage of love for Brun’s 09s. Maybe if he charged more?

RT

Oh man don’t give him any ideas! [smileyvault-ban.gif]

Just finished a bottle of this over 2 nights. My wife and I just loved it. It was better on night 2.

Only issue is it’s sealed with a plastic cork so one needs to drink it within the next year.