TN: 2009 Marcel Lapierre Morgon (France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon)

• 2009 Marcel Lapierre Morgon - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon (10/18/2010)
    M09TR S 12/05/2010
    Ruby red in color. Opens with a nose of pure, ripe red fruit (cherries, wild strawberries), floral notes and baking spice. Light-bodied. With air, the fruit grows darker and the wine puts on weight (light/medium). Some chalky elements emerge both on the nose and palate. Smooth texture. Lacking some depth. Ample acidity and sneaky, building tannins that are masked by the fruit. Persistent finish. This is good (and fun) now, but for my palate, needs some time to come together. I think it would be a mistake to drink these too soon. B+ today.

Posted from CellarTracker

Interesting note, Kim, thanks. Not many Boo-juices get a note that suggests they need more time…and there’s no shortage of love for '09 Morgon lately

Todd - This drank best at about the 2 hour mark on Saturday…and I’m actually sipping on it now (2 days after I initially opened it)…I was suprised to see that it was more than okay after sitting in my foyer (somewhat cool) for 2 days…

I really think it needs just a wee bit of time to come completely together. Everything is there…but something makes me feel like a finer wine is lurking just below the surface…

Just my opinion…and your mileage may vary…of course. [cheers.gif]

Edited Just saw that David S (WA) said…It will be worth following for at least 6-8 years, though one ought only to cellar Lapierre’s low-sulfur wines if one’s conditions are optimum.

Wow…even tonight this is evolving in the glass…there are some anise hints appearing now…

I agree [cheers.gif] TN: 2009 Marcel Lapierre Morgon (France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon) - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

Dennis - In your note, you mention a stony quality. I’m curious…is there any chance your stony = my chalky?? It is this quality that I’m having a hard time putting into words. Did you see a lot of evolution in the glass?

Thanks, KC

I suppose we are getting at the same quality or essence.
I find it hard to really define as well.
Yes. Some Evolution, better later in the eve after opening.
Cheers.

Thanks for the note Kim. Very nice meeting you on Saturday.

RT

Richard - It was nice to meet you too. BTW, I enjoyed your impressions of the CSW lineup that you posted in another thread. [cheers.gif]

Very ripe fruit, hint of licorice, start with strawberry jam, a hint of old world Grenache but clearly Beaujolais. Then it becomes very Burgundian, earthly, mushroom and fresh raspberry. Excellent concentration with long finish. It will be interesting to observe how it ages. The best QPR.

93 pts.

Kevin - Nice note. Very similar experience. However, although I found the wine filled with ripe fruit - I didn’t find it particularly concentrated. Early on it actually came across somewhat thin on the palate. Air worked wonders and the wine grew in the glass.

Interestingly, this wine showed well on day 2,3, and even on day 4 it was drinkable. That impressed me.

Curious, did you decant?

Did it show best with about 2 hours of air?

Thanks,
Kim

The wine showed as well on the second day as the first. It is certainly not unctuous as in Bordeauxs or Aussies but it seems very concentrated to me.