Another 2009 Beaujolais

Had this with some veal.
A Kermit Lynch Slection.

2009 Beaujolais (Domaine Dupeuble) – 12.5% - $14.95
Fine crimson/violet red. Lush, rich floral nose of spice, violets and bananas.
High toned, focused cherry/pomegranate minerally fruit entry leads to a snappy, lipsmackin’, dry finish due to ample fresh acids and ripe tannins.
Quite young and unevolved. Pretty serious for a village wine and can age for a few years and improve.
Has sort of a Copain PN profile with it’s clean, pure fruit.
An excellent food wine and quaffer. Nice QPR. For now: [89+ points]

TTT

Paul, I am not second guessing what you smelled in this wine, but Kermit Lynch would be disappointed with the banana on the nose. He abhors that smell in his Beaujolais (and any wine I believe (see one of the articles in his “Inspiring Thirst”)). Generally, I understand that the banana aromas and flavors in Beaujolais come from certain commercial yeasts, which I doubt Dupeuble uses. I am quite familiar with Dupeuble’s Beaujolais and, although I don’t find banana, I certainly do find them exuberantly fruity.

I smelled what I smelled…
And this wine was rather lean (but good), not exuberantly fruity.

TTT

Thanks for another 2009 note, Paul. After the first few you’ve tried, do you see justification for the 2009 vintage hype (perhaps a strong word-maybe exuberant optimism?) in beaujolais?

I need to taste quite a few more to form a definite opinion, but based on the top three wines I’ve tasted in the last couple of weeks it looks REAL promising!

TTT

Paul, while we may find different things in the wine, we share the view that it is quite good. I appreciate your note and your other recent Beaujolais notes.

Martin,
Have you tasted the 2009 version of this wine?
If so, what is your impression?

TTT

ive been thinking the same thing. Got to get out and try a bottle or two…

Paul, no, I have not tried the 09, but will do so soon. I expect that it is every bit as good as you have described. I have been taking a bit of a contrarian approach and buying some 08s that are being closed out, with the focus now being on 09s (justifiably it seems).

I’ve always associated the banana smell with the industrial yeast used by many Beaujolais vintners (e.g., by reputation, Dubouef). I just read the Wikipedia article on carbonic maceration, though, which says banana aromas can also result from this technique.

I’ve tried DuPeuble’s Beaujolais in past vintages and liked it without being blown away, so I was frankly surprised to see John Gilman list them among his top three Beaujolais producers in an earlier thread.

When we get the 2009 I’ll be sure to let you know!

Welcome aboard. [thumbs-up.gif]

Is that your boy, Matt? Awesome!