Proper Rose from the New World?

I was just discussing Rose with some friends, and I mentioned that my problem with Rose from California is that it is mostly and after thought. Most that I know of are made from draw down (saignee) from what is to become a red wine, so therefore the Rose will be as high in alcohol, or nearly so, as the red wine it is being made from. A “proper” Rose is supposed to be picked early, and if it is meant to be a Rose from the get-go, it will be lighter and lower in alcohol that a red left to hang. Does anyone know of any Rose made here or elsewhere in the new world that was meant to be Rose from the start, and is made the proper way? And no, I’m not talking White Zin here. [bleh.gif]

I have always like the Rosado of Cabernet Franc that Casa Nuestra puts out.

Only real negative is that it is pricey at $25 +/-.

SQN, and only SQN neener

And people call me a trouble maker…sheesh.

I always enjoyed the rose heitz puts out

I’ve had some terrific roses from Cali made saignee style and plenty of not so good ones. I do think they are mostly an after thought or a way to get some extra dollars in the door.

One that comes to mind is Etude’s. Early-picked, direct to press Pinot rather than saignee. There are others, too. I just can’t think of them right now.

Yeah, I sell it, but the Charles & Charles was a pleasant surprise. 100% Syrah, but light and crisp in the Provencal style. Also a value in the $10-12 range, maybe $8-10 in CA.

J.K. Carierre Glass here.

Cep Vineyards Rose. Not saignee, made from high quality Pinot picked specifically for Rose. Second (alternative?) wine for Peay. $19.

Good call

+1

+1

What about Steve Edmunds’ Bone Jolly rose?

The Bone Jolly Rose was my first thought. I had an older vintage that wasn’t as light as I was perhaps looking for (don’t remember which) but I liked the 08. Reading on Steve’s site confirms that he’s been backing off the contact time each vintage and fine tuning. Looking forward to trying the 09…

I think SoloRosa is a rosé only winery?

Linda

check out the roses that Steve Anglim is making…I have a couple of notes on the '08 here

CellarTracker - Wine Reviews & Cellar Management Tools" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But . . . but . . . it’s a WHITE wine made from pinot noir and the methods of making it are top secret, known only to Ken and Grace Evenstad of Domaine Serene. The secret is so valuable that a $20 million-a-year winery valued it at $75k when it sued its former winemaker. rolleyes

I find it pretty humorous that the OP was seeking non saigneed roses and most of the recommendations received are for saigneed roses, most of which are fairly dark and fairly high in alcohol compared to their Provencal brethren.

Sinskey has always made a really nice one. Pinot Noir based, keeps its acidity very well. Drinks very closely to good Sancerre ones like Cotat, but not quite as intensive.

Curran Grenache Rose is the one that stands out in my mind.