2005 Beaucastel Blanc VV - On Day 7

A customer returned a bottle of this today after opening it SEVEN days ago and saying that it was horrible. After we received the bottle today and re-opened for a taste…

[winner.gif] WOW!! This is amazing stuff - honeysuckle, dried apricots, white flowers, wet rocks… Amazing nose that gets better after being swirled in the glass!

If you have a bottle of this give it AT LEAST five more years… Yum!

And you took it back…why?

BTW - no alcohol returns in GA (theoretically, but it does happen)

Michael,

We guarantee the provenance of the wines we sell - especially wines that we buy from private collections. We do a lot of homework, but sometimes there is just no way to tell if a bottle has seen heat damage at sometime in it’s life, so we have a policy that protects against that.

With all that said, if we had tasted this wine before we gave the refund - the outcome may have been different.

Just tasted it again - wine is definitely on the downslope now. But that was three hours after re-opening the bottle… This stuff would have had an amazingly long life in the bottle.

The 03 of this is one of the only 03 South Rhones I have cellared.

Interestingly, a customer who bought an 03 from me did almost the same thing. I got to it several days after it was open, and it was still a wonderful wine. Clearly not one for every palate, but it’s one of the most forgotten great white wines.