Cahors- Malbec - So whats the deal?

After filming in Cahors for a week, I am wondering why the wines are not on the radar screen of many consumers? It appears Malbecs from Argentina are getting some attention, so it can’t be Malbec. Is it the quality of the wines, prices, both? I got the impression from some of the producers in Cahors that Argentina claimed market share when when Cahors was going through some difficult years. BTW, there is some very serious money being invested in the area.

On the value level, American consumers are often confused by French labeling. Argentina makes it easy to understand, and there has been an explosion of cheap Argentinian Malbec. Cahors is very smart to pound home to American consumers that they’re offering Malbec, capitalizing off the trend started by Argentina. And with producers like Coutale and others, there is some available Cahors at value levels.

On the higher end of things, no idea. Really dig Cahors.

We just had a nice thread on Cahors here:

preaching to the Cahors - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think that, in general, Malbecs from Argentina have claimed the attention of the wine-buying public through low prices and ripe, oaky, modern expressions of the grape. Cahors, by and large, is traditional, rustic, and less obviously seductive, and the more modern-styled wines there cost quite a bit, and certainly compared with those from Argentina. Also, the wine industry in Argentina has adopted Malbec as its primary grape brand – Malbec IS Argentina wine, essentially – whereas Cahors is just one of countless appellations in France.

I prefer Cahors, especially the more traditionally made styles. I just had a dinner with friends on Saturday where we drank 1978 Clos Triguedina “Prince Probus” and 1989 Chateau Cayrou, and both wines were terrific examples of what well-made, well-aged Cahors can be.

Gary Vee just had a WLTV episode on Cahors. I hadn’t known much about that area.
Here is the link:
http://tv.winelibrary.com/2010/02/03/2000-and-2005-cahors-tasting-episode-810/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[bye.gif] Reposted to let Todd get things back in order.

Jay,
Don’t you think its the immediate gratification thing. I haven’t had many Argentinian malbecs that I thought had the backbone (maybe austerity is a more accurate word) of the Cahors expression. I stick mainly to older established producer – probably mostly because that was what was available in our marketplace consistently year in year out. None of the ones from Cahors I buy offer a lot of gratification immediately – they require a fair bit of time – and I don’t think that fits with what the average consumer at this price point is looking for. I have had many Argentinian malbecs, and don’t get me wrong I like a number of them, that offered a pretty decent drinking experience right out of the gate.

PS - Well thats a first … my response to Jay has been posted before his OP. I knew my hackneyed opinion was more important than his studied, intelligent opinion. [neener.gif]

Disclaimer: I represent a Cahors producer, Chateau de Gaudou, so beware what I say, it’s all shilling from here. [smileyvault-ban.gif]

I think many good points have been made here. The South American versions of Malbec are, for the most part, big, sweet, opulent oaky wines that have been pleasing and easy to understand. French Malbec, with its old-style labels and lack of grape identification (though that’s changing, for example Gaudou’s 1733 is 100% Malbec and says so right there in front), its rustic taste and tendency to need some ageing, is tough to get a grip on for the average American consumer. I remember at a tasting once, a woman approached me while I was pouring the Gaudou and said, “Oh, they’re making Malbec in France too now?” [swoon.gif]

I had to correct her, but it wasn’t surprising. The Argentines have really appropriated the name of the grape so when people see it from someplace else it’s more of a copy than the original. But, as Evan says, the pricing for Cahors vs Argentine Malbec is quite competitive, the French are really pushing hard at the QPR level.

Lastly, their marketing apparatus doesn’t seem as slick as the Argentines or even the rest of France. Even there Cahors is dismissed at a certain level.
Cheers! [berserker.gif]

Man this is one unusually disordered thread. Anyway, found the scribbled note that reveals my recent Cahors as a 2005 Chateau de Haute-Serre. Available here for $16 - $24. Not a knockout but perfectly serviceable with southwest French cuisine or other rich winter dish.

RT

The last Cahors wines I’ve had were a few years ago: Chateau Lamartine Expression 2000 (from the importer) and Clos Triguedina Prince Probus 1998 (from my dad’s cellar). Both good wines with hearty cuisine. Makes me think of some roast venison…should get some of these.

Reposted and out of order kind of.

Jay, Here are some random non-ITB thoughts:

• The label says Cahors and not Malbec. It’s a confusing issue because you’re just supposed to know what it is when the label is in French.

• There’s no prestige to Cahors. There’s no Chateau Lafitte, DRC, Guigal Lala, etc.

• The wines aren’t generally spoofed, fat, over-ripe, and/or liqueur-ish the way they so often are from Argentina…and sadly IMHO, many consumers want them that way.

• Argentina produces a heck of lot more Malbec.

• Cahors gets no love from the Pundits.

Personally, I think it can be great and just had a lovely affordable bottle last week with some Cassoulet in Paris. In a greedy selfish way, I hope it remains under the radar.

RT