TN: 1996 Azienda Bricco Rocche (Ceretto) Barolo Brunate (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo)

• 1996 Azienda Bricco Rocche (Ceretto) Barolo Brunate - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (12/16/2009)
    Very early in its drinking window, but an excellent bottle of wine, to be sure. Nose has strong components of tar, violets, and anise, and is very bright and youthful - almost quite similar to a newly released '04 Barolo. On the palate, I noticed a beautiful structure to this wine - great balance of acidity, tannins, and fruit all just starting to integrate yet preserving their own characteristics as well. Earth/soil, meat, red fruits, anise on the palate, and a long finish. Great wine that is elegant yet also still substantive and bold. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Hey hoser, just because you’re the site admin doesn’t mean you have the right to post a '97 label with a '96 TN [wink.gif] .

BTW, nice wine.

Blame it on Eric LeVine - it’s taken from CellarTracker.

I know where you can find him…

Serge - if I had '85’s or earlier, I’d open them, too. Gotta go with what ya got!

Plus I think the wine you chose was a good one to sample if you are going to do a little cradle-robbing - Ceretto has always struck me as a winemaker that aims for the elegant, lighter-bodied side of nebbiolo, and is a wine that tends to show well younger than some more forceful examples like, say, a Giacomo Conterno wine.

Todd, if you have a retailer you like that stocks older vintages, if '93’s can be found they are probably not going to be a king’s ransom price-wise but are capable of delivering a lot of nebbiolo pleasure at this time.

Thanks, Bob - I’ll keep an eye out for '93’s

Glad to see that your run of corked Baroli is finally over !

My run consisted of two, both selected from the cellar by Paul Lin.

Fortunately, Paul also selected this one, but via email, so apparently when he is to select my Baroli, he must stand outside my cellar and email me.