The Durand

As a note, I have zero financial interest here.

The person who developed this is a friend as well as the namesake.

Here are the pictures of the device for removing older corks that I noted used with opening the older Latours for our vertical. I don’t know when it will be marketed. A combination of a worm with an ah-so that locks together to remove the cork as a single unit. (We used this to open all the bottles up to 82.)

When it is for sale, I will post something in the commerce corner for all those interested.

The device works great on very old corks.

PBase.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If, I may tease, since Don placed this exact same post on the“ Bulletin Board that must not be named“,
I will also take the liberty of double dipping my response:

Roy Hersh brought one to our East Side Tasting Group the other nite and demonstrated its use on an older bottle of dessert wine which he had graciously brought along, as he usually does. It worked terrifically and seems to solve the problem that I very often have when using an Ah-So…which is that I push the cork more down into the bottle than it was before I tried to pull it out.anyhow, I will ask Santa…ie Mrs Santa to please make one appear in my stocking on Christmas AM

I point out my double dipping not to be a wise-*ss, which I do tend towards…but to draw attention to this terrific piece of equipment…‘specially around Xmas time

This device looks fabulous - makes a lot of sense to combine the corkscrew and the ah-so.

I will look forward to it being shown on Commerce Corner.

I’ll post the link now on CC:

The Durand Combined Corkscrew and“Ah-So“ - Commerce Corner - Wine Classifieds - WineBerserkers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can anyone come up with a drawback to this or why it wouldn’t work. I am very interested in getting one and just cant see a negative

I was at the tasting with Michael and Roy and, while I did not see Roy use the opener on the dessert wine, I used it on a '70 Canon, and it worked like a charm on a cork that was soaked almost to the top (although still firm). I will be ordering one.

To bad I wasn’t there…thanks for the invite. [swearing.gif]

Haha…so true Serge, I should have been clearer in my post. If it was cheap I’d get it and try myself. It’s the price keeping me from making an “oh what the hell” purchase

i really want one to try as well, but indeed $125 is a bit pricey

i gotta send some photos back to China, and see if they can make me a couple for $3.50
[whistle.gif]

Serge, the cheapest i’ve found for the regular AH is $15. u got a legit AH (not a copy), for $5?
pls let me know where u got it?

cool, thanks! :slight_smile: