TN: Potel 1999 Vosne - Malconsorts

Yum! What can I say?

I hadn’t had this since release, and it’s coming along just as I would have hoped, just entering its drinking window. Decanted about 30 minutes ahead and savored over two hours or so with fennel-crusted pork tenderloin and roasted root vegetables and a cheese plate.

Great purity from start to finish, with nice pinot sour cherries, and all the elegance you would expect from a Vosne. This isn’t about individual flavor components; it’s just seamless and true to its origin. Good structure and lots of fruit, all in a perfect balance. I expect this will be dreamy in five more years.

Yum! (Oh, I said that already.) OK, let me put that another way: 92 points and climbing.

You seem to be drinking a lot more Burgundy these days.

Speaking of which, Charles and I had 1996 Grivot Vosne-Beaux Monts last night, which you had raved about, but our bottle was still quite tight.

A few of us recently did a Malconsorts tasting, went pretty good, but Potel was absent though. The 99 Gaudichots is supposed to be that much better, but it seems like it’s certainly worth seeking out what I would guess is the more reasonably priced Malconsorts.

Here is my notes from dinner:
Malconsorts and others, and a dry run at Apiary - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John,
Thanks for the note on this, very good to know. I think that Potel really does well with Vosne 1ers (Petits Monts and Gaudichots are also generally wonderful from Potel).

Ian,
That '99 Gaudichots is indeed great, but so little of it was made that you just can’t find it sadly.

Cheers,
-Robert

Dipping into the cellar a bit more … and posting more notes.

I don’t believe I’ve had the 96 Grivot Beaux Monts. I greatly enjoyed the 01 I opened a year or so ago. You might be thinking of the 96 Lamarche Suchots, which I think I posted on around the same time, which was indeed special.

I’ve got a 99 Potel Volay “Mitans” that I am going to pop here sometime in the next couple of days. Looking forward to it…

Rob,
That should be a good one, the '99 Potel Volnays are nice and have always drunk pretty well (albeit young of course).

Cheers,
-Robert

CORKED… [swearing.gif] headbang [cry.gif]