Zalto…takes a lickin…..

If you find out please post it.

S. Williams,
Thanks for that post! I thought that when Riedel bought Spiegelau the latter just disappeared. I immediately ordered; great price.

Just paying it forward. I saw it linked here (or another wine board, can’t recall) and ended up really liking them. Didn’t even notice how eerily similar they were to the Zaltos until I saw them side-by-side the first time.

If you’re looking for a (lot) less expensive glass very similar to the Zalto Universal, I can attest the Luigi Bormioli Intenso 740 glasses are a dead ringer. I’ve seen sets of six in Home Goods and TJ Maxx for ~$35.

Huh, I had no idea Spiegelau were owned by Riedel.

:slight_smile:

I have some of the universal glasses. Awesome of course. But I broke one while cleaning the bowl. I am being much more gentle when washing now. However, they have lasted much longer than the Riedel Burgundy glasses. Even though thicker they seem to be more fragile.

I really like the Universals as well, I use them for several reds, all whites and now my favorite Champagne stem. The Burg stems are used primarily for Pinot. Are the Bordeaux stems worth purchasing?

There are a few of us here who think the Burg glasses are unwieldy and use the Bordeaux for almost everything. Except Champagne :slight_smile:. If someone wants to trade two for two let me know.

I’ll trade, PM sent.

This and other threads on these glasses finally prompted me to try Zalto. Bought one Universal to try out and it arrived today. I really like the size/look and the Rivers Marie Cab is drinking wonderfully out of this glass. It feels amazingly light and fragile - if I hadn’t read all of these threads, I’d never dream I could put this in the dishwasher…

I only own the Universals - now up to 15 of them. I can understand how the Burgundy glass might be unwieldy - I have seen photos.

I love the universals and use them for just about any wine. I need another one soon so my better half can taste wine with me!

Question: will I see much diff between the Universal and the Bordeaux (or Burgundy) glass by zalto? Ayone do this test? [cheers.gif]

When I did a side by side comparison (tested with a Burgundy - don’t recall which one) I found that I preferred the aromatics from the Burg stem but the palate from the Universal. I like the Burg stem but find it too unwieldy for regular use. I know a lot of people love it.

I’ve bought more Universals and White Wine Zaltos and not more Burgundies if that says anything.

Thanks, Jay - good feedback!

Off topic a little bit but I have been using the Zalto Universal, Bordeaux and Burgundy glasses, and also the Gabriel Glas. It depends on the individual wines as some seem to work better with certain wines than others but if I had to choose just one desert island glass, it would be the Gabriel. For me it seems to be the best all around glass.

The white wine Zaltos are great for Champagne, but I also use the universals for Champagne as well. Really just depends which classes are clean.

Is there a particular website, or store (non web) that WB’rs have bought (are buying) there Zaltos? Please let me know as I am in glass replacement mode now and thought to ask before going out on my own. Thanks!

Wine Enthusiast. Something like $60/stem for the Universal.

Thanks Merrill. Will check it out.

Re-starting an oldy.
Just unpacked my 1st Zalto burg box - Have I made a mistake buying these? It’s like a flashback to when we drove home our 1st born from the hospital almost 20 years ago. They look and feel like the most fragile & delicate thing ever created. Worried I’ll be too scared to use one. Sounds like using the dishwasher is actually the safest way to clean them & keep them in one piece.

They are pretty durable. I’ve only broken one and it was during moving.