Zachys to open new shop in DC

Hoping their pricing actually becomes competitive. Talking about everyday pricing, not the super special sales that happen only during a blood moon on the 5th weekend the of 13th month every other leap year.

Was it a sushi dinner? Thought that was the perfect pairing

If I still remember this magnum 3+ years later, that means it’s a ‘memorable’ wine.

Best of luck to Tim & Co.

yes, got the original email, replied good luck and keep me posted but nothing since then.

I got the invite to and attended the rose tasting in May but haven’t heard anything since.

Getting a direct import license allows them to bring things in at lower cost. Do they pass that on to the customer in hopes of expanding their market share, take the additional profit, or something in between? Has anyone noticed a change in pricing?

I attended the Burgundy tasting last week. It’s a nice space (for the tasting), and a huge warehouse. Tim mentioned they are looking into doing events closer to downtown, as well (it took over 30 minutes for me to get to Zachys from Penn Quarter on a weekday evening).

I went over from Union Station and same as Scott, it took us about 30 mins to get to their location for the Burg tasting. Their space was really nice though. I suspect any DC auctions will be at a restaurant closer downtown, Georgetown or Capitol Hill.

Was there any chatter at the tastings about upcoming auctions in DC?

Like a fish needs a bicycle, just add sales tax

Yes, I believe it was mentioned that they were considering live-streaming NY auctions on the television that is in the tasting room at their facility. But it doesn’t hold a ton of people, so maybe Eric is correct that they will look to host at a restaurant.

I believe wine auctions are illegal in DC unless something has changed. I think MacArthurs had a very successful one some time ago and the wholesalers had it promptly outlawed.

I’m not sure I’m understanding why Zachys would go into DC without a bricks and mortar shop. To what purpose would that be?

Direct import laws

The original email that Tim sent out explicitly stated that Zachys services would include “The first large-scale, live wine auction in DC in at least the last 30 years!” so if there is some law outlawing it, I suspect that is being changed, or there is a work-around.

This ought to be enough space to satisfy the local Burgundy cravings.
zachys.png