Your Gin?

Anyone tried Leopold Brothers Gin?

I have seen it popping up at Bevmo and I am itching to give it a try.

A bout with gin as a teen soured me on it for over a decade. An experience with pancakes the next morning put me off of them for nearly as long.

Hendrick’s is my primary gin, but lately I have been drinking Bluecoat, which IMO works really well with citrus elements.

Boodles is excellent for sipping or martini’s

Tanquray for G & T

Bombay for martini

Gin the ultimate panty remover!

Right now in the house, there is

Plymouth
Hendricks
Tanqueray
Tanqueray Ten
Tanqueray Rangpur
Old Raj

Old Raj is the current favourite.

Citadel
Ransom

I really need to track down some of the Fritz Maytag stuff.

Love Gin but can’t say I have ever tried to find my favorite. It is one of those things where I just followed my elders. Mainly Beefeater. But when I had my first Bombay Safire Gibson back when I had hair, I loved it. But for some reason I usually by Beefeater or Hendriks. Or Tanqueray. Depends what’s on sale.

Right now I have a bottle of Tanqueray Rangpur that I got as a gift. Nice stuff as I sip it before cooking dinner.

Jason

Picked up some Ransom Old Tom today. I’ll probably give it a whirl this weekend. Looking for a bottle of Old Raj locally but haven’t found it.

I finally found some Old Raj (at a reasonable price too). Do people have a preference between the two proofs?

Sapphire for me. I’m easy.
Pouring Sapphire and tonic for the BCS game tonight.

Picked-up some Corsair (small batch from a KY and TN distiller). While sweeter and less junipery that I usually prefer, it’s pretty dang tasty.

[cheers.gif]

I am not familiar with differing proofs. I have the 110 which I use for cocktails and consider it the gold standard for most gin cocktails.

I like Ransom Old Tom, but it has a personality which doesn’t play well in cocktails like an Aviation or Pegu. OTOH, it is incredible in a Martinez or other cocktails which came about using similar styles.

Of the neo-American artisan gins, Death’s Door is my clear favorite. It is aggressive and assertive, but balanced and provides a feisty note to classic cocktails. Many of the other ones - artisan to big brand like G’Vine - are pretty much bad flavored vodka. I just had Smooth Ambler from WV and it is well-done. Alas, like the rest of the field, it is comparable to Beefeater (least acceptable standard of Gin) at 3x the price.

A.

I bought the “standard” 110 proof. But I saw that there were two available. One was 46% and the other 55%.

Interesting. AFAIK, the 110 is the only I ever see mentioned in places like Pacult.

A.

+1. Those are my two current favorites, with the occasional taste of Saphire. Lately I’ve been mixin’ with Dolin vermouth - wonderful stuff.

what he said.

And Hendricks.

My new go to is Martin Miller’s (80 proof- $26.99). Keep a bottle in the freezer. Pour neat, twist, and add a few sliced pepperoncini’s instead of onions or olives. No vermouth. Very clean, and I wake up without the ass-kicking fog I get with Tanq 10 now.

Make sure to coat the martini glass with lemon rind. Work that baby! Makes all the difference.

T-Bone. . .try the Miller’s Westbourne Strength . . .same way. . . a bit “more” of all you like about the “regular” it’s my go-to.

Best,

HIC

and not just b/c its from Scotland (my homeland)