Your consumption of Pink /rose wine?

I don´t think I drink more than 2-3 bottles/year of rosé - I prefer German or Austrian whites,
rosé doesn´t do very much for me _ I find it usually boring.
A good Riesling or Sauvignon blanc is the perfect wine in summer !

Not much. I often prefer to make my own via a Bicyclette cocktail of unoaked white wine and Campari, with ice.

I buy and enjoy rosé Champagne but I guess I’m like Michael in having lost my interest in still versions. When I worked at a restaurant I promoted them heavily as the perfect bridge between a red and a white, offering some of the benefits of both, but now I’m more inclined to feel that they don’t say much, they’re neither one nor the other. And I’ve got too much wine already for my rate of consumption; the last thing I need is case loads of guzzlers.

We drink one to two bottles a week during the summer, and maybe one a month in the winter. A lot of it depends on what we are eating.

Other than Champagne, probably a bottle or less per year.

Wow Rachel, that is quite a hiatus!

Pretty close to zero. Can’t really get a taste for it. Which seems odd, since I otherwise drink pretty much anything. White, red, orange, etc. But just can’t get into rose.

12-18 bottles a year. I would drink more but my wife has to be in the mood for it. She is coming around though. Mostly Montenidoli, Boulay and Pibarnon.

On my second case of the Plouzeau Chinon rose for the summer.

I enjoy this every year. Great QPR.

I go through a case. Mostly Rosado from Rioja.

I remember a similar thread last year …

It may be a personal opinion, but in most cases I would rather order a fresh white instead of any rosé (if one is available).

I can imagine than people chose a rosé when no lively and not too heavy white is available (which is often the case in Southern France, maybe also in California ?, but if there is any Muscadet (sur lie) or a Picpoul de Pinet or an Entre-deux-mers or Bourgogne Chardonnay on the list … a rosé is no option (excluding Champagne).

Here in Austria we have so many fine fresh (often light) lively white wines - no need personally for any rosé …

An exception might be the “Schilcher” - a Rosé from the Blauer Wildbacher grape produced in Western Styria, and often ordered to drink with the local “Brettljause” (but I´d nevertheless would chose a Sauvignon bl. or Welschriesling instead).

So my annual consumtion is maybe 1-2-3 bottles …

Variety is the spice of life. Why rule out one type of wine entirely? And rose as a category is so diverse. Each to their own I suppose.

What a wonderful sentence Gerhard! Had me scrambling for wikipedia, since I wasn’t familiar with the producer, grape or region! Hah the more I learn, the more I realize I don’t know :slight_smile:.

Pink wine? I have bought zero still wines in the last few years, just a few sparklers. I have to admit it’s a category that I got burnt out on after attending biz conferences in the south of France (yes I know, what a chore!) in which (low quality) rose wines were served incessantly. Clearly I need to attend some tastings, I’m sure there are many worth drinking.

Rich,
there is also a Schilcher sparkling (rosé) produced … in my opinion the most useful solution … can be really good!

“Brettljause” - served on a wooden plate (Brettl) … containing usually ham, cheese, hard eggs, sour small pumkins, tomatoes, onions,pepperoni, “Verhackertes” (kind of a minced pig fat), horseradish, dry sausages … and dark bread:

I can’t even begin to tell you how delicious that sounds, Sarah! [cheers.gif]

Pinks are perfect for the 4th!

Does all look like they are ice cold. Perhaps too cold for some of them?

Commercial post: I am an importer ITB selling French, Spanish and Argentine wines. I hope it’s not TMI, but 40% of my sales are Rose and this year the total will be about 50,000 cases. This year is harder than any previous one, because the market is inundated with tens of thousands of new Roses, and the East Coast had a miserably rainy and cold Spring. The ‘season’ is starting late, even though for me, even here in cold Maine, the season is almost year 'round… I almost never drink Rose when the temperature is below 20 fahrenheit, which precludes most of January - March.

I will not mention any names of wines I import, but will make a few comments:

About 10 years ago I made a presentation to a wholesaler in New York. I included some Roses. He told me “I already have a Rose.”. His business did not prosper and he did not keep his job.

A few months later I hosted a small group of customers to Mediterranean France. One night when we did not have dinner with a winemaker, we went to a pizza joint on the coast. The wine list had 8 reds, 4 whites and 8 Roses. They were nonplussed… “Why do they have 8 Roses?”

I asked if they were ordering pizza with shrimp, snails, cheese only, pepperoni and/or chorizo. I told them I would order them the right Rose for each one.
They got it.

I have a 2015 Rose in my glass at hand. As a businessman, I bust ass to get my Roses bottled in January and in the market by the beginning of March. As a wine consumer, I’ll be drinking 2015s until early fall, at which point I will move into the new vintage. I would say that about half of all good dry Roses are better at 12 - 24 months than at 3 - 15 months.

I’ll shut up now.

Dan Kravitz

Well stated, Dan - especially those Roses that are not all acid but have some texture to them. It’s a shame that producers from places like Bandol have had to expedite their winemaking process because of ‘market demands’ here in the US . . .

Someone recently told me about a ‘classic statement about Roses’ - drink up your pinot and grenache based wines in the Spring and Summer and save your Mourvedre based ones for the Fall and Winter.

Cheers.