your 5 favorite restaurants in your current hometown?

Whatever became of the restaurant in Carlmont Village, Pine Brook Inn? Had a nice deck overlooking the creek. Sunday brunch was always a treat. This was back in the 70’s-80’s.

I had to look that one up. I don’t know when it closed, but in its location is Hola, a pedestrian Mexican restaurant.

Fremont:

1. Denny’s
  2. Chili’s
  3. Chevy’s
  4. Olive Garden
  5. Red Lobster

If we want to rally go upscale, there’s always Elephant Bar and PF Changs.

This is why I drink

Rochester, MN

Zzest -chef driven place. Uneven lately, but they are going through a lot of changes.
Pescara - fish place. Great cioppino, fish tacos, simple fresh fish. Great service.
Chester’s - upscale comfort food. Very reliable. Sister restaurant to pescara.
John Hardy’s BBQ - john died decades ago, but this institution lives on. Pork plate w jojos
Pho Chau - great southern style pho. The broth is killer. Proprietress remembers everybody’s name.

I’m gonna assume you’re kidding. I bet there’s all manner of really good Afghani, Indian, and Chinese places. Heck, all you have to do is go to the Asian food malls anchored by 99 Ranch or Lion to find authentic Chinese.

Larry, kind of kidding. And yes, there are a few semi-decent restaurants, but the choices are actually quite slim. Interestingly, there aren’t that many quality Afghan and Indian places - most people of these cultures (at least on this side of the Bay, where we’re not as dominated by dot.com yuppies) cook and eat at home. I know this because all my kids’ friends are one or the other (or Filipino, Chinese, etc.), and those families rarely go out. I can also tell from just walking around my neighborhood smelling the cooking :wink:

Larry,
I think you are thinking ‘best’ restaurants.
As the title says, those are actually Alan’s ‘favorites.’ [pillow-fight.gif] [suicide.gif]

[wow.gif]

Marin County, CA;

Most impressive;

Marche Aux Fleurs
Molina
Sushi Ran
Picco
Ensalata

Fun and reliable;

Sol Food
Lotus of India
Hummingbird Cafe
Marin Joe’s
Left Bank
Baan Thai
Panama Hotel
Fish
Fast Food Francais
Kababbq
Buckeye Roadhouse
D’Angelo’s

Never had one. I bet they are filling.

very fatty

Next offline at Red Lobster!

And fibrous I hear [snort.gif]

Nothing special, very black and white.

Obviously he’s kidding. He didn’t mention McDonalds.

In McMinnville, we have:

Nick Italian Cafe - iconic Italian restaurant that got a first class upgrade when daughter Carmen and her husband Eric took over a couple of years ago.
Thistle - good, very local food
Bistro Maison - classic French cooking with Jean Jacques in the kitchen. Though mussels and frites seems more Belgian to me, it is fantastic.
La Rambla - Spanish tapas. Can be good or great depending on the status of the revolving door in the kitchen. Right now, it’s a lot closer to great.
R. Stuart Wine Bar - Does a series of winter suppers on Wednesdays with guest chefs (mostly from Portland, but this year one is a sous chef from San Sebastian, Spain) that are a real highlight for us locals.

For breakfast, Community Plate is tops in my book and I spend too much time at Valley Commissary for lunch.

Keeping things really local (10 miles) makes my list limited as Yorba Linda is a wasteland so I won’t have 5.

1. Rosine’s - Outstanding Mediterranean food and the best wine list in Orange County.

2. Sushi Noguchi - Actual Japanese sushi which is a rarity around here. Fish is always the highest quality and they are wine aware.

3. The Ranch - Bigger style restaurant than I prefer but excellent food and service. The wine list is generally overpriced but gems can be found.

4. Senior Baja (Taco Nazo) - They changed their name to seem more current and California hip but the food still fits the Nazo name. Best fish tacos around.

Jason

Not listing Jasper’s???

Bloomington, IN
Restaurant Tallent-Would be most people’s best in town. And a lot would say the best in the state. Chef/Owner, local ingredients whenever possible. Great service and fantastic food. Good and changing wine list. 8 time (I think consecutive) James Beard Great Lakes semi-finalist.

And in no particular order
Finch’s- My second choice, another local farm to table place with a great beer list and a good wine list.
Truffles- Great bar menu & drinks. Excellent food though service can be a bit hit & miss. Very good wine dinners.
Topo’s 403-Greek/Mediterranean oriented. Every thing is very good. Good cocktails, beer & wine.
The FarmBloomington: I think the Chef has been a James Beard semi-finalist too (I think). Lots of good things going on here but we quit going a few years ago due to service. Lots of people I know and trust swear by the place though.

Bloomington Icons: Janko’s Little Zagreb Steakhouse and Michael’s Uptown Cafe and Nick’s.

*I know a lot of these owners.

Santa Barbara, CA:

• The Stonehouse Restaurant at the San Ysidro Ranch
  • Olio e Limone
  • Petit Valentien
  • Lark
  • Opal

Have you tried Gaetano’s in Batavia?

George