You are the original retail purchaser - oldest wine in your cellar?

1990 Caymus cab… for $25.

1990 d’Yquem bought in 1995. Opening this fall for my 50th birthday.

JH

Talk about getting gouged, I paid $35-40 for the 1991.

Yes of course [cheers.gif]

Hmm I’ve bought some wines from retail that had some age on them, and could have been with them since release, late release, or acquired afterwards for retail.

Thus two different wines:
1985 Philippe Pollet Vouvray, which might have been acquired from the winery as a library release
1998 Wynns John Riddoch Cabernet Sauvignon / 1998 Wirra Wirra Penley Cabernet Sauvignon , which are the oldest wine I have bought ‘on original release’

Started collecting in 2005, so a range of 2003 Faugeres as well as some 2004 Bordaux (Figeac, Gruaud Larose, and Palmer) were among my first purchaced.

However my very first was a bottle of 1834 Barbeito Malvaisa (2004 release) - I’m technically the first owner though it was of course a late(ish) release… Lately I’ve bought some 1970s and 80s Ausleses directly from a few different (small) Mosel producers so I guess I’m the first owner for these as well.

Back in 2008 or so I picked up a bunch of 1976 Lopez de Heredia Vina Bosconia GR wines at both PJ’s and Zachys for like $100/per back when they were still distributed by Polaner in the metro NY area and before pricing went through the roof.

if there’s a “cowtown discount liquor” sticker on the bottle, you win this thread. that’s awesome.

1980 Montebello purchased in 1982 would be my oldest but now still hold Montebellos from most years back to that. Other than that '82 Mouton and Leoville Las Cases are also in there as well.

1967 St. Michelle White Oak Cabernet from WA. One of the very first vintages, I believe Andre Tchelistcheff was consulting at that time.

started collecting in 84. Have some 82 Cheval, Mouton knocking around somewhere in an unremembered cellar corner. Cheval cost $42.50 and paid about $80 for Mouton. Would love to find it and trade for Burgs.

1990 Lafarge Clos de Chateau du Ducs, paid $52 on release in 1993. I also have a 92 Dehlinger Reserve Pinot that I bought at retail in 94.

A lone bottle of 1988 Climens.

1966 Lafite purchased by my Dad, Does that count. His others are mostly depleted by now.

I bought a wooden case of 1989 Montrose when it was released. And a mixed case of Leroy 1995. Still have a few of the Montrose, and at least a 1995 CLos Vougeot and Beaux Monts from Leroy.

1957 vouvray bought on a trip from a no name cellar. But I also have a 1967 baumard QdC that I bought direct on the same trip.

Makes me nostalgic for the days you could rummage around old wine shops with dusty back rooms and uncover forgotten gems. Wish in those days I would have bought more! One shop had an(incomplete) vertical of La Chappelle going all the way to 1961!!! I balked at paying the outrageous price of something like $80 for that bottle, but picked up several more “minor” vintages like 82 and 90…ha!

Various 1985 and 1986 Bordeaux.

I love Burgundy but trade '82 Cheval for that? Never!!

1999 Burgundies would be my oldest bottles bought new on release, prior to that I was buying Australian wines (which I got rid of), Im not counting any of the old cellar release bottles that I have bought, if I was it would be 1949 Richebourg