WOTYs 2014 (and Discoveries)---TABULATION COMPLETE (post 159)

I guess I’m liking this posting thing more than I thought. After two years of no posts - 2 in one week [shock.gif]

Red WOTY - 1998 Flowers Camp Meeting Ridge Pinot Noir - simply amazing
White WOTY - 2011 Albariño ZARATE El Palomar - WOW!! Really loved this wine - true expression of the varietal

Discovery of the year - Italian wines primarily the Whites from Sicilia - YUMMY!!

No WOTY yet. May have one over the holidays based on what I intend to open.

My discovery has to be Aglianico. It’s hard to find good ones in the US, but I was along the Amalfi Coast in Italy in October and it was everywhere. They call it the Barolo of the south and I would agree. Good young, great with some age.

WOTY: 2005 Ch Musar - wife is sensitive to va/brett or whatever the wild strain was in this so I didn’t have to share much (lucky me)

Discovery: Etna Rosso - callabretta, passopisciaro, terre nere - haven’t found one yet that I didn’t love

All discovered thanks to the WB crowd… thanks, everyone!

Selosse is the alpha and the omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.

These are ones I rated more than 92 pts. on CellarTracker and are ones I had a full bottle or at least a glass (not just a taste):
2011 Alvear Montille-Moriles Pedro Ximenez de Anada, Spain
2009 Alysian Wines Pinot Noir Rochioli Vineyard Edgewater, Russian River Valley, CA (had twice and rated 94 and 93 pts. and Gary Farrell is leaving winemaking–sigh!)
1999 Chateau Montelena Cabernet Sauvignon, The Montelena Estate, Napa Valley, CA
2007 Larkmead Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley, CA
2005 ZD Wines Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve, Napa Valley, CA
2008 Maison Alex Gambal Saint-Aubin 1er Cru Les Murgers les Dents de Chien (my only white wine on the list)

I had a number tied at 92 points including a 1994 Chateau Lafite Rothschild, Pauillac, Bordeaux; a Pommard 1er Cru, a CdP, a Calera Pinot Noir Mt. Harlan, San Benito County, CA, a Torii Mor Reserve Pinot Noir (Willamette Valley, OR), 2006 Chateau Pavie Macquin, St. Emilion, Bordeaux; a Beaujolais Cru and a Cote Rotie.

Discovery: Wind Gap Syrah, the region of Cote Rotie, and Orogeny Pinot Noir from Green Valley AVA, CA (only a taste of one vintage of the latter but I was impressed with it)
I also enjoyed the wines I tried with Jim Cowan from Cowan Cellars

Most recently impressive wine for me was the 2012 Crowley Four Winds Chardonnay. Another level of OR chard for me. Easily one of the best wines of the year. Tyson Crowley is killing it.

I am very happy to see you enjoyed the 08 Gambal that much, Jane. I will look to move it into one of my drinking event windows very soon!

In the runner-up category:

2006 Guigal Condrieu La Doriane
2006 Hundred Acre Cab Sauv.
2006 Sassicaia
2007 Pride Reserve Cab Sauv.
2007 Pieve Santa Restituta Brunello Di Montalcino Sugarille (Gaja)
2005 Vineyard 29, St. Helena Cab Sauv.

I’ve really enjoyed two vintages of Blankiet Cab (2007 & 2008), a 2012 Pahlmeyer Chard Sonoma Coast, a 2012 Bedrock Monte Rosso Zin, and a 2007 François Chidaine Vouvray Le Bouchet but my WOTY is a tie between Shafer HSS 2008 and my discovery of the year a Leonetti 2007 Cab. I have not had much Cab from Washington that impressed me prior to this year when I sampled a 2009 Quilceda Creek Palengat Red Wine that I enjoyed, so the Leonetti was an eye opener.

I am with you on the 2003 Château Léoville Barton, Robert. This one was one to remember for a long time. One more bottle is saved for the future. Other reds highlighted on the notes I have the 1985 Beringer Cab Private Reserve and a 2009 Rutini Malbec Antologia XXXI which was stunning (too bad there aren’t too many Malbec fans on Berserkers. Discovery of the year was the '09 Special Select Black Cat.

On the whites, 2012 SQN in the abstract was a wonderful wine. Then, though, it was a very ‘goot’ (aka Gewurztraminer ) year-
Once again, 1998 Tempé Gewurztraminer Mambourg “S” SGN made it up and high on the list, and few other Gewurztraminers made it on the list.

For the Rosé it was simple- discovery, QPR and WOTY is 2013 Virage Cabernet Franc. I probably opened almost a case. Friends, family, for any reason a trusted Rosé was needed… (and few more wait to enjoy with the winter and early spring fish)

Bubbles- QPR and WOTY remains strong at 2002 Pierre Paillard, discovery of the year- Roses de Jeanne (especially '09) (thank you BD)

Well, I have certainly discovered champagne with a great passion, one I expect I will sustain as my love for acid and things leaner and crisper continues to be the flag my palate flies these days. As for WOTY, still a month left and several more bottles to open and discover, but if I had to bet, it’d be the 2012 Kutch Falstaff PN. That is a helluva wine. I do like want to revisit the Fogline Sun Chase once more, as that wine is pretty amazing, as well. For sure, the 2008 Novy Susan’s Hill syrah is also kid dy-noh-might. My signature line conveys the favorites for the year from a broader perspective, as well.

Top two of the year for me…

2004 Cabot Vineyards Syrah Kimberly’s
2010 Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon Special Selection

I really cannot say enough about the Cabot Syrah

Too many to pick just one:

'48 La Tâche
'96 Salon
'96 La Tâche
'75 d’Yquem

Discovery?

Probably Bernard Levet

In no order in particular…

Reds: (I have had so many so I’ll limit myself)
1982 Latour
1990 Margaux
1989 Haut Brion
1982 La Mission
1990 Roumier Bonnes Mares
2003 Leroy Richebourg
2003 La Turque
1999 La Mouline

Whites:
1999 Leroy Corton Charlemagne (overall WOTY for me)
2007 Sauzet Montrachet
2010 Domaine de Chevalier Blanc

Sweet:
2003 Chateau Le Puy Marie Elisa

Discovery:
2011 Arkenstone Sauvignon Blanc - best sauvignon blanc I have had

It’s been an AWESOME year! …and still another month to go

I usually bring strong wine game to the holidays, so it’s a bit premature, but it’d be tough to unseat these two:

WOTY: 1970 Chateau Haut Bailly (tremendous elegance)
DOTY: 2012 Dirty and Rowdy Semillon (what a weird and wonderful marvel this wine was)

[cheers.gif]

Howard, glad to see the 1985 Montebello make your list. Do you think it’ll make old bones, or should I drink up my lone bottle at the next good occasion?

Thanks,

Bill

red: '78 la mouline
white: '01 coche corton charlemagne
sparkling/discovery: '96 dom oenotheque

for context, got engaged over the mouline; celebrated the announcement with family with the coche. i suspect my 2015 WOTY will be very humble by comparison…

Bill,

It is 30 years old and I don’t think it is going to get any better. However, I also don’t think it is going downhill anytime soon.

2002 Albert Boxler Riesling Brand

WOTY
2012 Bevan Tin Box
2012 Myriad Elysian
2011 Brand
2011 Colgin IX
2012 Schrader Beck-To Kalon CCS
2010 Harlan
2007 Saxum James Berry
2010 Dominus
2011 Outpost True Vineyard
2012 Passenger Cab (QPR)