Wines dinners with Berserkers (with notes) from my trip to NYC, Boston and North Shore

Interesting (and disappointing). I have reservations for next week. The website says that corkage is $65; I’ve been debating whether I want to schlepp something from DC or pay a preposterous price for something on the list. That $20 may make it easier just to buy there (which I assume is the goal).

Corkage is $65 with a two bottle limit.

Merrill - If you were charged $85, you should call them and let them know so they can adjust your bill.

Sorry…yes… $65. I was remembering when Diane and I went to La Grenouille a few years ago, and the fee was $85.

Wow, John, your notes are amazing! It was socially-focused, so I am indeed amazed you got those details down. You were next to me recording the wines and making some notes, so I made absolutely no effort to do so. Besides, I was busy turning that Cameron away multiple times. Mr. Trimpi apparently has taken notice of my difficulty with those wines, and he set me up just perfectly. There were grimaces and smiles all 'round. So fun and instructive.

I will state, as I stated clearly to Richard, that after a couple of hours in the decanter, that 2006 Cameron’s reductive quality blew off. There was lovely fruit in there. He was right. And boy did he have fun with me on that one.

My favorites? I apparently have never met a Champagne I did not like! It’s true! The 2000 Henriot, courtesy of Josh Kurek, wowed me. I turned to John and said “Bready.”
I used to not like that, now apparently I do. Just lovely and classy. I did not experience it as oxidative.

I loved the 2008 Marguet and the Selosses as well. Josh had been in Calistoga with me just days before this dinner, so from my 50 bottle line-up of dead bottles on my shelf, I think he deduced I liked Champagne! All 3 from Josh, I believe.

I found the 1998 Chambolle-Musigny delightful! I am not a Burg Girl, but I did indeed love this. And I love those wine-awakening moments.

Oh, the 1997 Heitz Martha’s. This received my highest regard: “I wish I had made this wine.” Enough said.

I was pleased with the 2011 Black Cat’s outing. The women at the table, in particular, liked this a lot. Brad never said, nor did Richard. Their palates are geared toward different wines/counties/states/countries/vintages. An amusing moment was when Brad saw me dumping a bottle into my decanted (and nearly empty) 2011 Black Cat. He exclaimed from the other end of the table: “WHAT are you doing?” I had brought a second bottle, Ah-So’d it myself at the table, smelled the cork, poured off a taste, and then poured also for a tablemate who knows the wine. All good. I did not want anyone to be without the wine, and as I saw the level very low, felt very comfortable doing this.

A big thank you to everyone who brought the wines, to Brad for organizing, and for the camaraderie we all experienced. Even with the next table [cheers.gif] .

A fun evening and great to finally meet Merrill! Actually, John, I first met Richard years ago at a Louis/Dressner tasting and we knew each other through either Wine Therapy, or Wine Disorder and I got to know Merrill through her pro-Red Sox posts in the Yankees thread, but, birding did bring us all together on this occasion. Unfortunately, serious rain thwarted much of our birding plans, though Richard and I did brave it. We didn’t see much, but literally the day after Richard left the park saw an explosion of birds. Over 100 species were recorded as the spring migration finally got underway in the park. Most people don’t know this, but Central Park is one of the top ten birding spots in the country.

As for the wine, my favorite was also the '95 Beaucastel, followed by the Cameron Pinot, though that '85 Larmande that was sent over was also lovely.

Thanks for taking notes!

Merrill, it was a pleasure to meet you in person…and John Morris too. Brad did an excellent job organizing the dinner at the Mill Room, although I had my heart set on Peking Duck…so arrived a little late after the small detour.

Fine notes John. I thoroughly enjoyed the Henriot and it might’ve been my WOTN. In a great spot. Selosse usually delivers as did this one with a relatively ripe/rich nectarine-peach thing going on. All the champagnes were enjoyed (i.e.: kicked) IIRC.

It was fun to share the Cameron. I wanted to showcase a funky one…and the 06 didn’t disappoint. Completely agree that it’s a bit ripe…but always good fun to turn oenophiles on to this producer. John, I think you’d be more impressed by Cameron’s 07s or 10s…next time.

I’m always a sucker for Chambolle. I was hoping for a bit more fresh bright red fruit but it was still very tasty and balanced with its slightly earthier tones “beet” and some beef broth.

The tannins on the 1988 Felsina Rancia weren’t that bothersome to me…with food. Enjoyed it.

I was smitten by the 1970 Rioja…mostly because it was a dark horse “cheapie” that punches way above its weight-class. Remarkably fresh and well balanced. Put it in a bottle with a fancier name/label and it would earn plenty of approvals.

CnDP, I tasted enough to remind me that roasted fruit isn’t my thing, no matter how beautiful the framework.

The Cabs were both quite good. I was expecting the Heitz to bowl me over with eucalyptus, which it didn’t. I’ve tasted Merrill’s 2011 before and enjoy the restraint.

I wasn’t charmed by the St. Emilion…chewy, tiring and woody.

Very fun night. We pretty much closed the place…increasing the challenge of the early start with Brad the next AM for birding! Particularly fun to escape the work week for a quick overnighter in NYC.

Sante!

RT

On to a night in Boston, with a great, great dinner at Troquet. Their new space is quite nice, although I kind of miss the intimacy of the old space. Their service is always of the highest level, with Chris Blanchard presiding. The food and its presentation has been taken to new heights - go there if you are in Boston!

Jud Reis and his wife, Lisa, selected a magnum of 2006 Taittinger Comptes de Champagne. Wow! If there is anything more festive than Champagne, then it is a magnum of Champagne! We enjoyed some Napa Cabernet, as well, but the Champagne took center stage. I ordered my standard lobster crepes, which were updated and even better than before, and the beef. All outstanding.

As Mike Mankes and I waited for our transportation, we watched the last couple of innings of the Red Sox. Jamie Manley, whom some may know from the Parker Board, was hanging at the bar, so we chatted with him, finished our Champagne, and finally left.

The next few days were spent North of Boston with friends and family. Of note is the restaurant in Swampscott called “G.” I have had many meals there, and everything is always top notch. We enjoyed some Delamotte Champagne on the porch overlooking the ocean before walking the few blocks to G. The Delamotte is always a solid NV choice. Wines at G were pedestrian.

Final stop was lunch from Bianchi’s. This is cheese pizza at its basic best. $12 for a large pie, hot from the oven at their walk up window. This is located at Revere Beach (Ra-vee-ah). Best to sit and look at the ocean from your car, getting that pizza while it is hot.

Nice dinners Merrill and I’m sorry I’m not in NYC any more. You met some great people and I know a lot of them think very highly of you. Good that you had a nice trip. And cool about the bird watching too - I’m currently watching a few duck families as the little ones try to figure out how far they can go on their own before getting a scolding from mom.

I am in Boston/North of Boston about 6 times per year. New York once a year or every other year. DC once, sometimes twice, per year.

Ha! For the uninformed, that is Rob Gronkowski of the Patriots from a shoot he did with Sports Illustrated. They wanted to show his “softer” side, I love cats, and my affinity for Gronk is pretty well-known.

It was a long, rainy, dreary winter here at my small ranch. I HAD to get out, and what a pleasure it was, even if the weather was not perfect.

If you ever come hawking to central Florida, there are some cool Berserkers in this area who would love to hang with you. Gronk is always welcome as well!

Thanks, Charlie, and thank you to all who are following the posts on this thread.

Florida is on a short list with invitations from Ft. Lauderdale, Fort Myers, Boca, Jacksonville, and others.

If you can assemble that great looking group of guys that Mr. Alfert had in his post a few weeks ago, I am there flirtysmile .

Seriously, thank you all for your interest and for your orders.

That last graf is very evocative! I’m hungry both for the pizza and the sea … Sounds like a lovely break from California.

Yes, it is. Was. Jamie Manley, mentioned in a chance meeting at Troquet, was the person who recommended it to me on the Parker Board a couple of years ago. I recommended Toscano on Charles to him, and he told me it has since become a favorite.

This wine community really is a small community.

Merrill, it sounds like you had a fantastic week, beginning with our fun lunch. Unlike you, I loved the food at Marea. I have eaten there many times and enjoy almost everything, but that day, I ordered two of my favorites. I started with the Pacific jack mackerel crudo and then the fusilli with braised octopus. The Solaia and the pasta - just stunning. At home, I noticed the wine had a lower fill than I would have expected, and so I was mildly worried, but upon smelling it in my glass at the restaurant, I was treated to the beautiful fragrance of dark cherry and black olive. The first taste had the tannins overtaking all else, but they continued to soften with time in the decanter. It was a gorgeous wine that was herbaceous with black cherry and black olive tapenade. There was spice showing up in the mid palate, leading to a deliciously long finish. Yes, we laughed about timing it, but we didn’t. The wine was classy, elegant, and offered enormous pleasure. I don’t have or drink super Tuscans much, but sharing wine with you was a perfect opportunity to open my one remaining bottle of Solaia.

What a great week you mush have had, Merrill. Thanks for sharing.

Merrill Lindquist wrote:
Jamie Manley, whom some may know from the Parker Board, was hanging at the bar, so we chatted with him, finished our Champagne, and finally left.

I have never met Jamie, but know him from the Parker Board, and he sounds like a real gentleman. And with a great passion for Bordeaux and Sauternes!

Thanks,
Ed

Thanks, Blake,

As always I enjoy reading your notes; glad to see your back in action.

Best,
Josh

Did you intend this comment for another thread?

I have met Jamie and yes, Ed, that’s definitely true. Troquet—happy memories from 3 years ago.

Lots of fun to read about your adventures, Merrill. So glad that so many of the 'philes were able to meet up with you—and that you got some good Sox talk in!

To the east coast gang—I’m coming back! Aiming for mid-October for the triennial tour.

Mike