Wine Steal Of The Year: 2007 Bodega Los Aljibes Selectus

Thanks!

This is currently is stock at the mountain view ca store- any recent tastes or buyers remorse? Granted it’s only $12

Anyone try this stuff recently? I see my Costco has about 20 cases of this for $11.99

I cannot relate to what is in Costco but a store downtown here in Edmonton has both the Petit Verdot and the Cab Franc. $31 Cdn.

edit…Just checked Costco (3 of them here) has Selectus! Love you guys [cheers.gif] .

We tried it a few days ago. After five hours in the decanter, it was “OK.” Not as much of a bordeaux blend as I expected - too much Syrah? I agree with this note from Cellar Tracker:

10/29/2016 - Cabfrancophile wrote: 86 Points

While the layering and texture hint at a high end wine, the flavor palate is ultimately not that compelling. Tobacco and peppery aromas dominate without much fruit or tertiary development. Medium weight, fine texture, earthy dark chocolate finish. Kind of a decent BDX fruit profile with some gloss applied to it.

I found this to be particularly undrinkable relative even to many boring, mass produced wines…it’s got an underlying herbal characteristic that I just don’t like. It’s not the tobacco or green pepper that’s an issue, but something a bit more off-putting. And there’s nothing good to counterbalance it. Really pretty insipid stuff. Not sure how anyone tasted this and came up with the 94 points on a sticker on the bottles. In any event, I initially purchased a case (as they appeared to be flying off the shelves), but returned it the next day after tasting a bottle.

Cool label, though…reminds me of a more fleshed-out version of Montevertine’s Le Pergole Torte…

Was down in Medicine Hat in S AB and picked up the `07 for $19 and change! They did not have the Kirkland CdR which is highly rated?

I believe the 2007 Selectus being sold by Costco is not the same quality of wine that was reviewed by the Wine Advocate. The corks appear to be brand new (no staining) which implies the bottles were stored standing up or were re-corked for some reason. I had a couple bottles of this wine that I bought through WTSO several years ago and that wine taste deeper and richer than the one Costco is selling.

Well, nothing shady ever happens with Spanish wines reviewed by WA so clearly you’re insane.

I finally bit at this one. I’d agree with the 86-87 points. It’s well made, has a few interesting characteristics to it but there IS a fair amount of oak on the wine. It’s most certainly polished, a little too much for my liking. It’s pretty well integrated but again, too much for me. If I’m hosting a party with folks who aren’t huge into wine, this would be a clear winner but it’s not really a buy for me even as a daily drinker.

Tony, AAP stays away from putting wines for national projects that are bait and switch, as do the regional buyers currently (in beverages at least). It’s exactly the same wine, although I believe some shipments were not shipped refrigerated. The case is upright and has probably been stored that way since packaging, but I can’t speak to the distribution handling and am only guessing heat based on what I tasted. Not my style, and I noticed extreme variability, but best bottles I can see getting around a 92pts easy.