wine pairing at Alinea

Wow…that is a very nice price on the Mugnier…you can’t even get a half bottle for that price now…

I am going to ask them for a wine list in advance. Plan for a good white burg and a glass of what ever red they have for red meat dishes. We have only two people. It will be a little too aggressive to take down two full bottles. flirtysmile

Dinner may take 3.5 to 4 hours. That’s 2 bottles in my household :slight_smile: Enjoy

Another vote for the list. Wine pairings were expensive and the wines were mediocre at best. Overall a very good meal, but no where worth the cost for me personally and the crappy wine pairings were an insult. Other restaurants I have paid the same and don’t have that opinion.

Well,they just refused to provide me a wine list in advance… [swearing.gif]

customer service at its finest. what else would you expect for dropping no less than $400 to $500 per person?

I agree with Matt on his choice of lists. Although I was at L2O a month or so ago and while the list was great (super expensive) the food was terrible, really terrible. I think Spiaggia has a great Italian list also super expensive. Trotter’s used to have an amazing list but that is all gone now unfortunately. Les Nomades has a nice list also. For high end BYOB. El Ideas, Goosefoot and 42 Grams are great options.

George

Don’t worry. Great selection of bubbles and usually a nice white burg selection. We have ordered older Lopez dH and older Loire reds before too, though I could do the whole dinner w bubbles. You will have a blast.

MK

Come on George, what about Tusk Thai and a byob Mosel Kabinett? :slight_smile:

Off-dry Riesling and Thai is really nice match. The sweet Prum Auslese with the spicy KFC from Krisp is another match made in heaven [cheers.gif]

Everytime I look at L2O’s menu I just don’t want to go. Lately we’ve been going to Tru which has always been fantastic. Plus great wine service.

Your instincts are correct. Don’t go. Worst starred meal I’ve had this year and one of the worst meals this year as well.

Just got their burg list.
They have a bottle of 12 Dujac CSD for $800. It seems reasonable, relative to the high markups on some of the other wines.
2008 Bruno Clair “Clos Saint Jacques” for 325 seems to be OK for the quality of the wine. Although there is quite a markup on this one.

This is unfortunate to hear. We’ve been going to L2O for years, through the major chef changes, and have always had an excellent meal - consistently our favorite in Chicago. That being said, we haven’t been for 9-12 months, so I wonder if something’s changed recently.

Just talked to a client that was at L2O a month ago and he said it was terrible as well. Quite a loss if this has turned

Well that is good to hear. We have always loved Tru but the wine device the last two times was mediocre. The last time the wine service and service in general weren’t what they should have been. We’ll give it another shot. Bad news about L2O as we haves always enjoyed that place, too.

JD

L2O is closing on NYE.

David, is it closing for good or is it going to reopen with a different focus?

Reconcepting to a less formal restaurant

How did you get the list?

I looked on W-S Pro, the lowest price for that bottle is $150, so it’s not really an atypical markup for a fancy restaurant (which isn’t to disagree that it is a big markup).

1 Like

Dujac CSD for $150? I’m not on WS Pro but maybe I should be.