Wine Movie Recommendation?

I too liked “You Will Be My Son”; trippy to have all that non familial passion for the vine.

Is there anything on Oregon??

I guess I shot myself in the foot with this post. Just tried to get Mondovino from NetFlix and it says there is a “long wait”. Wonder who is getting the 5 copies they have in stock?

Did anyone else catch the part in Mondovino where the guy was in his boxers stomping on the grapes and his balls were flopping all over the grapes. Absolutely repulsive.

With the list of producers who contributed I wonder if this movie will be biased toward the modernist movement. I’ll be curious to hear more.

I can get Mondovino from my library (for 3 weeks! and renewable if there are no reserves). I’ve seen Mondovino but not the television versioin. I just reserved it; it was just sitting on the shelf.

So just watched the doc this morning (so sadly no Barolo drinking while watching) and I really enjoyed it. Didn’t find it biased - there is no staying which wines are the best or what’s the right way to do things.

It’s pretty straight forward and it tells the story of the modernist movement primarily seen from the perspective of people like Altare, but you also get interesting perspectives from e.g. Giuseppe Rinaldi, the forunder of the slog food movement and others. And of course a lot of beautifully shot pictures from the Langhe.

Next time I watch it I will pour a glass of good traditional Barolo.
[cheers.gif] Andreas

+1. Just watched this and enjoyed it.

Not movie, but TV series that’s entertaining is Oz Clarkes & James May Big Wine Adventure. Season 1 in France and Season 2 in California.

I liked “A Good Year”. It did a better job of capturing the love of wine and wine making than many other films.

Has anyone seen “American Wine Story”? Wonder what kind of release it’ll have.

Days of Wine and Roses

This is a great thread to bookmark, but it really hard to find most of these mentioned. Barolo Boys sounds great. i’ll have to check it out. Thanks for the recommendations.

Saw it last night! [wink.gif] Think it will be shown at a few more wine events like the Pebble Beach Wine & Food Festival next year. Otherwise, should be available on DVD later this year and through Netflix early next year.

Great! Look forward to seeing the next movie star. :wink:

Bummed I miss the QA at the Raven last night, going to see this on Wednesday. Looking forward to it.

I am going to break my vow of silence (but not my vow of chastity, nor my vow of humility) to second Andreas’s recommendation of this short film. I had some trouble getting it downloaded, so this being an online, Kickstarter-style indie effort, I exchanged several e-mails with the film’s maker. I quipped that I liked the ending, as for a while, I was afraid that Marc de Grazia was going to be the hero of the piece. Turns out that the filmmaker does think that de Grazia is a great man (admittedly, he did make himself, a number of mediocre winemakers plus Luciano Sandrone (who appears only as a name on a tee-shirt and maybe in a still photo or two in the film) quite rich), but it is a tribute to the director’s work that the story is told in a balanced and fair fashion (no matter that Joe Bastianich claimed to have “restaurants” when he was barely out of college and Bruno Cerretto tried to take co-billing for Angelo Gaja’s worldwide promotion of Piemontese wines!). Seems to me that Beppe and Marta Rinaldi are the heroes in the final reel, but everyone can pick their own favorites. In addition, the same guy, Paolo Casalis, made an earlier film called “Langhe DOC”, the award-winning tale of the challenges of maintaining tradition in pasta, cheese and wine in the 21st-century Piemonte, which features Bartolo Mascarello and his daughter in the wine segments. More gorgeous local photography as well. The earlier film may have already made the rounds here and elsewhere upon release several years ago, but it is worth mentioning again here for the latecomers in the back pews.

While I am at it, I am curious as to whether anybody knows where the diehard Ray Walker supporters have gone. Vacationing with Ray all over Europe, using their own money while Ray, well, ALSO uses their money? Or perhaps participating in souped-up BMW rallies? :slight_smile:

Tom Hill, I am truly sorry that Jeb Dumbmuck has offended you with his Dowell Parker mini-me routine, but it was, as they say, predictable. He mints more points than Rudy and Hardy combined mint phony wine labels, and he spreads them around quite promiscuously. I am told that chimpanzees mate promiscuously, which is why they have such large testes. Maybe young Jeb aspires to Parker-size cohones, eh?

And finally, Todd Tucker and Henry Kahn, I found fresh, local ovuli reali (known as Caesar’s mushrooms, and for good reason) and finferli (chanterelles to you Francophiles and Oregonians) in a damn chain supermarket in Torino (of all places) last night, so I will be whipping up some veal scaloppini with mushrooms and a little cream with a 1964 Cavallotto Riserva Speciale for dinner tonight. Popped it this morning, and it is lovely! Screw Paris in the springtime…the Piemonte in the fall is what’s happening. By the way, with all the rain this summer, it has been an early and stunningly great porcini season, and it promises to be an outstanding white truffle season as well. Start standing your Baroli upright today, and start stuffing your piggybanks now to buy truffles in November and December. Too early to tell for sure, but I am guessing that the tartufi will be abundant, excellent and reasonably priced…

Welcome back, Bill! Have you ever considered starting a newsletter yourself? Perhaps The 'Shroom Advocate? You could stuff it with all sorts of never-before-heard-of aroma and taste descriptions, and of course, tons of points.

Leaving Las Vegas

Thanks for the recommendation on Langhe DOC Bill. I think remember seeing it available at the Barolo boys movie website.

Is the white truffles not out before November? I will be in Piemonte (staying in Castiglione Falletto) for five days visiting Barolo producers next week and would love to taste white truffles.

[cheers.gif] Andreas

P.S.: sorry about the thread drift.