Wine aerators What do you use?

I use the powdered air. The aerators look silly and if I pour the wine through them it feels silly so it gets a little mood against me and doesn’t taste good. It’s a living thing after all, and it has feelings too.

That’s pretty much what I do as well - with very rare exceptions (like a 70 year old wine that is half sediment) -

Interesting that the Jobs post is now gone. Sure turned tail and ran off quickly considering your statement that this was just an information gathering thread. Members here are sticklers for transparency where retail is involved. Calling you on it wasn’t an attack, just a heads up to the rules of the board. If you were truly interested in our answers why did you disappear?

Inquiring minds want to know.

sorry, should have been clearer - they sell air from all the top regions. For ease, I buy a case of air from “Burgundy” and use that for everything, but I don’t think there’s a good way of verifying the provenance, certainly not at the village level. There’s room for improvement, but I’ve found this to work pretty well. The powder isn’t perishable.

La brise de Bourgogne

Watch out though, because the best Burgundy air has recently been subject to faking. Word has it that the air is trucked across from Southern Italy before being packaged in Burgundy as if it were from there. Ever heard of ‘empty tankers’ returning from Italy to France? Don’t believe it. The air is awfully easy to conceal.

There’s no need for trucking air around, Ian. To fake an old Burg or Rhone all you need is an old dog and some greasy leftovers.

I’m still here.
The job post is in fact gone.
If my activity was frowned upon than I probably shouldn’t continue to push forward in that direction with the community not behind me. There are other places that I can recruit without friction, I apologize for attempting to do so in your forum.
I would prefer to be a member of the community and I do have the self-control to avoid sales-pitches in the future.

This thread is still here and I guess it will remain should people choose to answer.
I really don’t want to cause problems in this tight-knit community or be labeled as spam/shill so I decided that recruitment should probably occur through what I would consider regular channels. I will still be here, minus the business-side of it. SO once again, sorry for appearing spammy in the beginning but I would prefer to continue on a less-frowned-upon stance :slight_smile: .

Commerce Corner was the perfect spot for the job listing. Not sure why you removed it.

Anyways, welcome to WB. BTW, we’re not as tight knit as you would believe us to be. [stirthepothal.gif]

It was removed by an admin. Not sure what rule it was breaking but really not important.

I decided to move forward here as a community member for my own enjoyment.

Doesn’t really make sense to push something not supported by the community. I will stick with my original intentions of information collection and active membership.

There are places made specifically for business promotion and active recruitment.

Thanks for the Welcome!

Stephen
In that case, a warm welcome to the forum!
Hope you enjoy it here - any favourite wines you’ll be looking out for chat on?
regards
Ian

I prefer not to open wines that aren’t ready to drink. When I do open a wine that’s too young or otherwise needing air, I still want to follow its progress as it opens up. That’s part of the enjoyment of the wine for me, and it also provides a more accurate assessment for what to do with subsequent bottles.

I pour out half a glass and do the Mollydooker Shake. #PoorMansDecanter.

Nice Video! Entertaining and informative!

Thank You!
As far as specific wines I will openly admit I am barely a novice. I mainly enjoy wine tastings and my wife and I are working our way down the South Michigan Wine trail every couple of months hitting a new winery. I admit my palate is low-brow and I’m pretty happy drinking everything!

As far as specific wines, I really don’t have a favorite but I do enjoy a variety.
I think we are going to sign up for one of those wine-to-home monthly samplers, any suggestions on sites/packages?

I used to use the aerator you mentioned. I didn’t think it made enough of a difference, so I stopped using it. I now either use a decanter if I’m cooking and I know I’m going to drink the bottle in about an hour. If not, I just drink out of the bottle without using the aerator. For me, aerators were the equivalent of about 10-15 minutes of decanting, which can also be achieved by letting your wine sit your glass and also swirling it.

Which Aerator? The Venturi or the Vinaera?

Disclaimer: I Represent a company that distributes the Vinaera Electronic Wine Aerator

Hi Stephen
Don’t ever let anyone talk you into thinking you have a low-brow palate. You like what you like and if it’s great for you then it’s great. End of story. Of course if you really enjoy cheaper wines then you’re the luckiest b*stard in the world, as you can get great wine for just a few dollars!

In general I’d avoid the monthly wine to home arrangements, as they’re choosing the wines not you - much better to find a local wine merchant and get them to do you a taster case based on whatever steer you give them. E.g. “I liked the Shiraz by Winery X, give me something similar, or give me a variant on the them to let me explore”. Depending on how exciting the case is to you, either go back next time and set a new challenge for them, or choose somewhere else if you didn’t rate the wines. Not all wine merchants are good at this, and many sales assistants aren’t really up to the task, but you can be surprised. If you really gel with them you might get to the point you just say “Make me a case of interesting wine”, as by that point they’ll have a feel for what you like and what to avoid.

In time you’ll probably outgrow such a relationship, as you better understand your own preferences, and you walk into a shop and simply know what you want. That said, quite recently I popped into a shop and actively sought out some advice on some German Pinot Noir as I’d had a really lovely bottle & wanted to get some suggestions of others to try.

As you’ve got the South Michigan wine trail to explore, then definitely make good use of it, and I’d use the merchant(s) to expand my horizons beyond that. Sometimes you might even say “Tell me about Spain - what have you got for $10/$20/$30 and what should I expect from it”. A good merchant will know the wines well, so if you see them trying to read the shelf-talker, then make your excuses and find someone else to advise you or walk away.

I think many of us start off as vinous butterflies, trying a bit of this, a bit of that, settling for a while and gaining confidence in that region / style, then moving on and exploring further. I’ve never lost that, but there are areas that I’ve enjoyed that we keep returning to, meanwhile the search for new experiences continues alongside.

regards
Ian

TBH, as I don’t know what I like, the idea of someone choosing wines for me that are highly rated by others. Considering I’m happy with most of it and my wife enjoys rating things so I think I’m going to see if there is a place that offers wine selections like Graze. I’m terribly lazy when it comes to non-work things so I like the idea of my wife rating wines and them selecting similar wines to send us (if we rate them positive).

I do enjoy the Wine show/tasting available in South Michigan. The experience is probably more important to me than the wine (the SHAME!). I enjoy these activities with the wife and will probably continue them for some time.

We would like to eventually tour other wineries in other wine-producing locales for vacations in the next year (our next 2 are already booked)

Welcome to the board Stephen!