Wine Advocate staff tasting big wines in big format

From mag?

[shock.gif]

This is the only bottle on the list that elevates my pulse at all.

That and the Gaja and Huet would be excellent.

Ha! Dr Vino liked my sushi comment!

Nice to see how RP has a sence for subtleties. :wink:

It actually looks similar to a BerserkerFest lineup, ironically.

[highfive.gif]

74 heitz out of mag is one of the greatest wines i’ve ever had. but most of that list is shite.

Mike, you have to get the Yellowtail magnum or larger - they age much better. The “Pink Moscato” is to die for!

Night one sounds somewhat enjoyable thanks to Piedmont. Night two I would rather shoot myself than participate, Hommage and Clos des Papes notwithstanding. Chapoutier 03 L’Ermite Blanc is the absolute nadir of white wine in my life - the winery thought it should be consumed ASAP years ago - the wine must taste of grade school crafts time paste at this point. Real paste would no doubt taste fresher.

Night three I have no major comment, as am I am in theory dead from the previous evening’s wounds, but I bet Dominus is OK.

What? Couldn’t find a Magnum of a Huet 1er or Cuvee Constance?

f*cking amateur!

My impressions on this in order-

1. No wonder their palates are shot.
  2. They wouldn’t do this unless their palates were shot.
  3. If they drink all these wines their livers will be shot.
  4. That is, if they are still alive.
  5. There are some wines in there I’d really enjoy in the right context.
  6. No one says you have to swallow all the wines, or even taste them.
    With restraint and liberal use of the spit bucket this could be great!

Last time I had the '91 Dominus, it was better than OK. Last time I had the '74 Heitz MV it seem like a different lifetime. Send me my invite.

P Hickner

With regard to nights 1 and 2, my response exactly. With regard to night 3, it is even less attractive to me than night 2 (since I would be interested in the Hommage and the Clos des Papes).

All of which means that we should thank our lucky stars that we aren’t reviewers for WA, I guess.

My first thought as well.