Willows Inn: August 2014

I know you’re kidding – but “Percebes” were a treat that we enjoyed in Barcelona. It’s great that the chef included them in the delicious meal you had. I’ve heard wonderful things about The Willows, including this thread.

Beyond disappointed to read this.

Extremely disappointing indeed. Willows Inn has long been on my shortest list (perhaps a list of 1) of next-stop destination dining in the US. No longer. So sad, as I’d heard so many raves.

1 Like

You see the pics above - it was epic. I was planning an offsite for my team there next month and just told my EA to look at Roche or Friday Harbor instead :frowning:

Tragic if as described. This piece seems very well annotated. Whoa.

Damn off-site in lummi? I need to join your team!

I was supposed to eat there tonight. Would be the first dinner since that article came out. Very disappointed by the lack of accountability and response.

We tried to call a few times, left a voicemail, and then finally just emailed saying that and I would like to cancel, just got a form email back saying it’s been canceled and refunded.

Good response from the Willows Inn:

The Willows Inn
2579 West Shore Drive
Lummi Island, WA 98262

Phone: (360) 758-2620
Toll Free: (888) 294-2620
Email: info@willows-inn.com

We are so saddened by the stories from our former staff that were published by the NYT last week. It has been extremely difficult to hear these accusations and read these comments from people that we worked with so closely for years. In the past several days we have put all our time and energy into supporting our current team and our families.

We recognize that the culture of our workplace in the past has caused people undue stress both emotionally and physically.

The restaurant industry for too long has created a culture that applies an extreme amount of pressure on everyone involved to create perfection from a chaotic environment. The hours are too long, the margins are too thin and the accepted norms of behavior are too extreme.

While we want to defend ourselves from what we feel like is a biased mischaracterization of our team and our sourcing practices, it is much more important for us to take accountability for the past and create a better future.

One point that must be clarified further is that no one on our team has ever reported sexual harassment or misconduct in the workplace to our management team. The stories from this article about those behaviors are absolutely devastating and can never be tolerated.

In recent years we have made intentional efforts to improve our hiring practices, provide HR support for our team and maintain a supportive and creative environment. We have adapted our schedules to give employees shorter work days, more time off and better wages.

In addition, we will be bringing an HR representative in house to help support our team and provide them an outlet for any issues. We also plan to provide further education and training for our management team in the areas of leadership, inclusion and diversity. Moving forward we will also create a paid internship program with free housing to help create better opportunities for a wider range of backgrounds in our kitchen. This work must continue and must be the priority for all of us.

The Willows Inn and the industry as a whole needs to rally in support of the amazing individuals that create memorable experiences every night for guests around the world. No one from any level of experience or department should be treated with anything but the utmost respect for their dedication to hospitality.

It is our mission to move forward with the intentional gratitude and graciousness that will make our families, colleagues and community proud.

doubt that moves the needle … they will be gone with current owner/chef within a year
the third paragraph (justification/excuses?) followed by the fourth paragraph is troubling to me

I actually thought it was a pretty poor response from Willows, and I’m even less willing to visit them now after reading this.
From my personal reading, the letter paints Willows Inn as the victim of the NYT reporting and as a victim of the industry that inevitably creates a hostile environment.
It says the sexual harassment was never reported to the management team, as if that is equivalent to them never having happened, and the management team does not need to take any responsibility. While I personally have no proof whether the sexual harassments happened or not, the way Willows worded the response makes it sound like they don’t hold any responsibility to the accusations without either refuting them, taking ownership, or concrete steps to improve the work environment.

3 Likes

The Willows Inn Closes After Abuse Allegations and Lawsuits

The world-famous restaurant on a Washington State island has been donated to a nonprofit, a year after a Times report on harassment and discrimination.

1 Like

Unfortunate, as Willows Inn was a fantastic destination restaurant. Was unfortunate to see the culture going on in the background, and we did not return, despite its close proximity.

I feel terrible for the team they employed, many who lived/are from the small island. We visited last year and not only were most of them super friendly and hospitable, many were candid about the impact as cancellations directly impacted their hours and income, and how thankful they were that some of us continue to support their livelihood. While the chef may be a horrible person, i think the many people who work there are some times not mentioned in these stories / are forgotten.

I’ve always thought the owner/chef are gonna be fine. they’re clearly sufficiently wealthy. but what about the housekeeper, or the hotel front desk folks who worked there for a living. Sad to see, and wishing those folks the best.

2 Likes

one of the very best meals I ever had.

So true.

It was easily my favorite restaurant in the U.S. We had several great meals there and actually stayed on the Island for a week.

One of the parts of the Willows Inn story that has been forgotten is that Riley Starks who is a lifelong restaurant of the island dating back to the 70s used to own it and it was his idea to make it a culinary destination and he posted an add on craigslist looking for a chef. Blain was working at Noma and saw the posting and the two of them built out the restaurant while Blain was at Noma. He still has a farm and fishing boat on the island and is the nicest guy in the world. He had to sell it because he hit hard times during the financial crisis. Knowing him none of the craziness would have persisted if he was in charge.

Really bummed that it is no longer here…but then again I am surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Amass another favorite restaurant also closed this week :frowning:

make your way to harbor house inn!