Will You Be Buying The 2011 Barolo's?

Fair enough, but you seem to do your posting over here. Do you prefer to cast your pearls before us WB swine? (Nothing but cinghiale over there, as nearly as I can tell. And mostly farm-raised. Or at least not very wild…) :slight_smile:

Promise? :slight_smile:

But seriously…the thread is potentially useful, but not yet ripe for adjudication, as we lawyers like to say. For openers, Galloni needs to finish his work, and the other reviewers, such as they are these days, need to weigh in. (If it is not too much trouble for Monica. Barolo is a shorter drive for her than Montalcino, so I am guardedly optimistic. However, it will be the end of June at the earliest.)

Total hogwash! This is not “your thread.” You posted on a public forum, and you do not own the thread. And what on earth does “don’t play” mean? Are there rules by which we all must live when responding to threads started – not owned – by you? Pray tell, what are those “rules”?

And the only myopia is your own for your failure to snare the obvious: You’re the one who brought Galloni into it. His conclusions as summarized by you are inextricably linked to your question about whether people will be buying the 2011s. Otherwise, why bring it up?! You could simply have asked whether people would be buying, without mentioning Galloni. But you didn’t do that. So if you don’t like what you view as poop being laid in “your” sandbox, pick up your toys and go find another sandbox.

Incidentally, some of us (me, for example) have found the discussion here very useful, Galloni-driven comments and all.

back to the question of this thread: no, i’ll not buy.
my decision has nothing to do with the quality of 2011 whatever it will be, it’s just because barolo without age is not interesting for me and maybe i’ll be dead before it’ll reach the drinking window. here in europe it’s not that difficult to backfill with very good nebbiolo from fantastic vintages and i prefer to do so.

+1. My strategery(sic) also.

Michael - i have to agree with Xavier’s post above. There’s as yet no function that allows the originator of a thread to specify who gets to contribute and what they get to say. The best example of that approach is what happened to the Squires board, which is why this one exists today.

To answer the original question however, regarding purchase of 2011 Barolo, I may or may not, but the decision will not be based on someone else’s opinions or reviews. I may read those things, both for entertainment and information, which are often one and the same. But the idea that so and so liked something so I need to purchase it - that’s a little insane. Would I be buying to have them on hand in case that reviewer shows up and I want to have wine on hand that he likes?

It is indeed very very hard to taste a lot of wine, especially if you aren’t in the business and I understand that. But then it makes even less sense to buy quantities. I know there are people on this board and elsewhere who are willing to buy wines they don’t know and don’t plan to taste for many years. A lot of people did that and ended up with stuff they didn’t like and then they blamed Parker. He didn’t hold a gun to each of their heads and force them to lay out their cash. They did it because they felt that they needed guidance and they were willing to accord him great deference simply because he had tasted a lot of wine.

So as to the 2011s, I may try a few if and when I get a chance and if I don’t like them, I’ll pass. I’ll assuredly drink them too young - we are all mortal after all.

Jay - If that is what you came up with you might want to fine tune the comprehension skills. Although I have no idea what you are talking about. So I guess we are even. At any rate my Vinous subscription has been processed. So maybe I will see some of you over there, you will find me at the alter of Saint Antonio. In April I have wine dinners with Luca Fedrigo and Salvo Foti. I will write them up on Vinous. Assuming that Galloni approves of course.

Michael
Any successes in stuff you’ve tried? Any awful wines?
regards
Ian

I’ve observed people waste a ridiculous amount of time here trying to justify and validate their positions. It’s a trap in which I choose not to participate. Their are a significant number of assumptions made about me that are often erroneous eg. that because I choose to engage in a theoretical discussion about a new paradigm for Barolo that I am drinking mine too young. I feel no need to refute such nonsense while I’m patiently waiting for my Barolo to mature. The same is true regarding how it is I make purchasing decisions. Just because some goober says I’m blindly following a critic, isn’t sufficient motivation for me to waste time with such nonsense.

I understand that thread drift is a reality. But I’m not going to bother with trying to change the minds of those who choose not to participate in the premise of the OP, but would rather proselytize their own unrelated speculations.

I have not seen any 2011 Barolo yet at local retail.

This is a very reasonable approach. Backfilling remains and option and with regards to a potentially early drinking vintage, one must decide whether to wait out the ‘shorter’ time or just buy older wine from vintages one might prefer as more classic.

Another consideration I make in my buying decisions is what the quality of the regions I might buy from this year are (painting, of course, with a broad stroke). Current and upcoming Bordeaux releases aren’t very appealing. Current and upcoming Burgundy releases hold some interest for me but I’ve never been a big buyer of Burgundy. Napa and Sonoma releases are more promising but I’m buying far less from these regions these days. Other new world regions hold little interest for me, other than perhaps Oregon. Rioja remains interesting and with such differences across producers on what vintage is being released (for those I buy, at least), I can’t generalize at all.

Taking all of this into consideration, 2011 Piedmont holds minor interest for me at this moment. With more information from more tasters, I might dip my toes in a bit. At this stage, I need what I have in the cellar to mature (all regions) and little being released this year seems to be grabbing my attention. Maybe it is time to backfill mature wines and explore other regions instead…

No. I turn 72 this year and don’t even buy ripe bananas.

With all due respect, Michael, YOU are the goober who has repeatedly told us, in dozens of different ways, all unsubtle, that you are blindly following a critic. And nobody gives a rat’s ass whether you are properly maturing your Nebbiolo or not, because you are known, with total justification, as the fellow completely obsessed with new paradigms and other Gallonialisms. Nobody owes you an apology if you were only exploring a new paradigm in trolling and the real Monie is actually a middle-of-the-road sort, although I personally might find that several steps up from blind faith…

I’m looking forward to hearing about that. I haven’t seen Luca’s wines in our market at all and have loved them in the past. My best Valpolicella experience was an L’Arco.

As for 2011 Barolo, if pricing goes down–significantly from 2010-- then I will end up buying the usual suspects. If not, then 2011 Barbaresco may outweigh Barolo in my cellar.

Never said that I was looking for an apology, just no need for affirmation. And I would never think of you as a goober, Bill. As peremptory yes, a goober no.

I sincerely appreciate that, Michael. I was worried when you started quoting Barney Fife on me a couple of days ago…

Is it just threads about Nebbiolo that are overrun with asinine posts, or are those just the only ones I’m reading in Wine Talk these days?

I want to jump in quickly to say that almost nothing that Bill K wrote about me is factually correct. It has some vague resemblance to the facts like many of Bill’s posts but is so steeped in pointless venom that I would encourage everyone here to ignore it. Or at least to recognize that it is fantasy.

Eric - I will let you know and post about the dinner. PM me a mailing address and I will shave off one bottle each of the following and send it to you. The wines will be in around the last week of March, but I will be in Italy. So I will send them to you after I return.

2010 Rosso del Veronese
2009 Valpolicella Ripasso
2008 Rosso Pario
2009 Amarone

Jump in quickly and say that, and then go back and read ten years of your own posts, Ken. And the events write-ups on your own website. Seriously. You have often prefaced posts by saying that you consider Antonio a friend if you think that the comment that follows seems biased or overly promotional, and that is appropriate. No pointless venom at all. No blame. No evil intent. No problem with your friendships. But no fantasy, either.
Assholes? As Sinatra would say, we have a few, but then again, too few to mention…

Not Yet, but I enjoy drinking Barolo - Terre Del Barolo - Italy/ 2008.