Wild/Feral fermentation questions

Both of my fermenters now have a very intense smells of acetone. Am I screwed?

Keep the caps wet, get the temps up. You can also make up a spray bottle of sulfur (something like 20-30 grams kpms in a spray bottle) and spritz the caps with it to try to reduce EA development…

Should I put more so2 in? Maybe I didnt put enough. Any chance the VA will blow off?

I added more so2. Hopefully that will kill the things making the VA

What are your temperatures?

Its seems low. I don’t have thermometer (mine broke the day I started the fermentations)

If they are warm to the touch if the side of the fermentor your in the mid to upper 70’s.
You do need to be able to monitor temperature either with a pyrometer I use this one http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SID-MT-PRO/ and by the way I take this one to restaurants and events http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SID-MT-100/, thermometer, or those side of fish tank sticker indicators placed on the side of your fermentor.

x2 on the spray bottle with so2 solution.

Berry, I’m curious how things are proceeding. I wouldn’t worry about the ethyl acetate. If your must is cold, that’s a totally normal by-product of klockera yeast that tend to start off native ferments. The EA should be volatilized or metabolized during the rest of fermentation. That extra SO2 is just going to delay fermentation, so you probably shouldn’t have added more but perhaps there won’t be any real downside from having done it.

In short, I would warm up your fermenters to get fermentation really going. You can use an aquarium heater to get a hot spot going in your fermenter. Or you can pull out some juice and berries into a clean bucket, warm that up to get it going and pitch it back in the fermenter after a day or so, once it’s really going.

Good luck.

Very happy to hear that it can go away.

The so2 didnt seem to make a difference. The fermentation is bubbling away right at full strength (compared to the fermenter that didnt get the extra dose).

I just got back from target with two small space heaters.

Thanks for checking in and they helpful information!

Curiously, I actually don’t really mind the high-toned nature of the VA aroma. The whole ferment aromas smell wonderful actually.

I just checked the temps. Both fermenters are in the low 70s. I think I’ll use the space heaters to try and get them up to the 80s per Eric’s and other’s advice.

Warmer is better up to the high 80’s or so. Opinions will vary a bit but getting it over 82-84F will be better, and 90 is an easy temp to try to stay under.

Good luck!

Thanks. Funny I always thought cooler was better because the fermentations produced more floral wines that way.

Its interesting how winemaking is so simple yet so complex at the same time.

Dont be afraid of the low 90’s for a day if you can get them up that high.
Just make sure the top of the cap does not dry out from the warmth.
I do 3 punch downs a day usually when temps are above the low to mid 80’s.
Cooler temps are easier to deal with at then end when there is little sugar left and an you have alcohol over 12%.

Thanks.

Is the reason to not let the cap dry out because of spoilage?

Yes.

Too cool and your wine will be fruity-estery, from beaujolais smelling to banana and clove and whatnot. Extraction will be lesser as well. Not saying those are bad or good, they just are.

But the big thing is that the heat will spur Sac and counter the development of EA.

Berry, one of my favorite things to smell is a fermenter, throughout the process. I particularly love the roasty smells of ferments that are nearly dry.

On the issue of heat, in a winery too much heat can be a concern because you’re usually fermenting at least a ton of grapes if not several. Fermentation creates heat, so like lighting a fire, you only need to warm things so much until the ferment itself takes over.

At home, heat is a challenge because your quantity of grapes is usually very small. That is, not enough to put off much heat. So you may need to work a little harder to warm things up. I wouldn’t be concerned about a home fermentation getting too hot, either for stylistic concerns or overheating. The 80s would be ideal, and put your arm in there. You’ll find colder spots and warmer spots. It’s not all the same.

Good luck.

Thanks vincent. I was just taking some temps and doing gentle punch downs and the VA smells are pretty much gone. In general it smells less complex since I have raised the temps and sacc has gone into overdrive.

On a related note Im getting some cheap pinot noir must on Friday and I am going to do an experiment: I am going to use two different types of commerical yeasts in two different fermenters. I am very curious how the same juice will differ in character based on the different yeast inputs. I don’t expect that project to produce good wine, Im doing it just out of curiosity.

Good to hear everything is progressing well, Berry. What are your plans after primary is finished? Where will you raise the wine?

Last thing…wish we had some pics

He’s applying to all of the best preschools now. [wow.gif]