Why no love for a great crab cake in foodie venues?

That doesn’t seem to me to be a great match with Cali Cabs.

Actually crab and blueberry phenols sometimes found in cali cab is an amazing pairing. Try it!

I’m not intentionally or specifically disrespecting M/SP. I do believe, however, that eating fish and shellfish near where they are caught is always better than boxing, shipping, unboxing, maybe putting them in a tank with their own filth so they can be sold as ‘live’, etc. Eat a Nova Scotia lobster in Nova, a Maine lobster in Maine, a Brittany blue lobster (the best of all) or Brittany oysters in Brittany, Dungeness Crab in Northern California northwards, etc. There is a discernable difference. Eaten near the source, they are best eaten with the least amount of preparation/adulteration. Even close to the source, these and other delicate foods are perishable and quickly decline in quality. So, the further from caught in time and distance requires additional adulteration. Which brings us back to crab cakes (crabmeat, an emulsion (vile mayonnaise), and a binder (stale bread), which are then griddled or fried together, often with spices to hide the rancidity created by the process). Crab cakes are what is done with crab that is too old and tired to be served (mostly) on its own. Which is why no love for a great crab cake in foodie venues.

A recipe that also has no filler. I will try this next month, thanks.

The biggest problem with the concept of crab cake is that crab is the adjective and cake is the noun. But if it at all has flour, it is not worthy of my consumption.

If it was called crab mounds it would be more likely to be good more places.

The “filler” is shrimp. I’ve also seen scallop used.

Craig I agree that we can get good seafood here, but there’s a still a difference between “pulled out the sea 4 hours prior” and “pulled out of the sea 2-3 days prior, packed on ice and shipped cross-county”.

Perhaps the crabs are…travel shocked? (Not going with shell shocked - too easy).

And keep in mind there is Maryland crab and everything else.

Best crab cakes I’ve ever had are either home made at the eastern shore or from some dive seafood shack on the docks at the eastern shore.