Why is Louis Latour so bad?

Thanks for the insights, guys. This particular bottle was the white. It was an enjoyable wine but really missed on its $50ish dollar price tag. I was happy that I scored one for $25, but it wasn’t the killer deal I imagined it would be.

Now, who’s gonna tip me off to their “hidden gems” that sell at huge discounts and really deliver amazing bang for the buck? :slight_smile:

I agree with Mark. Prior to 1990, I’ve had some terrific whites. A lot of them with gratitude to Chet Kern. But the younger ones that Mark talks about are meh and I think their prices reflect the less than stellar wines put out by them. Even at the comparable lower prices I don’t want to buy and drink them. I have no idea what changed over the years with them.

winemaking and or vineyard management aren’t as good. Look at Chevy Demoiselles–only two producers–Jadot and Latour. Jadot is always better.

Latour should be ashamed of their second rate quality considering the quality of their holdings. The whites rarely impress, the reds even less so.

Look at pricing: the market speaks. Latour costs less. It just isn’t as good.

For me, the Corton Charlie is one of their best wines, though still second tier.

You are right Nigel, most important was the brief. Clearly ‘best’ would need input from Leroy, Lemoine, Bernstein even Camille Giroud :wink:
Sorry to Mark - I assumed you were drinking red! White Morgeot can be a big wine though no surprise as this is better suited to red - in the main - though Fairendes is a great white.
Really Alan I think you have to taste more. LL reds are great before bottling, flat directly after, and then slowly get better - whether pasteurisation is to blame I don’t know, but I do know that I dont taste spoiled older bottles - no brett or off bottles, cork excepted. I taste the same week as Jadot etc. and the proposed gap for whites is non existent - both have peaks and troughs - neither is ‘better’

note from AM for this;

89-91 points
(Maison Louis Latour Chassagne-Montrachet “Morgeot” 1er 1er Cru White) This had just been racked and the sulfur addition was the dominant aroma. There is good power and volume to the muscular, generous and mouth coating flavors that possess good complexity and fine length. This is a relatively big wine yet it remains well-balanced. (Drink starting 2016)

That’s my understanding also.

I stand with the marketplace in stating that Latour is a second or third rate Burg producer on no one’s short list and so much cheaper than other domaines for the same vineyards. I generally have to buy what I taste and have been burned enough by Latour that I will leave them for you and others. I never wrote that they were premoxed, corked, or spoiled, just that they were less than the pedigree should allow, underperforming. We can agree to disagree.

I would second Alan’s take. Aside from a delicious 1985 Corton Grancey, I’ve never had a bottle since that wasn’t second rate, more so reds than whites. Not flawed wines, but just not worth the money, even though prices are generally cheaper as has already been pointed out.

Lotsa threads on bargains in Burgundy recently. A few of the same members who’ve posted here have contributed to those threads.

You could retitle this thread as “why are Morgeot whites so bad”? Morgeot should (mostly) be a Pinot vineyard based on terroir but producers have planted chardonnay there b/c C-M white sells for more than C-M red. C-M Morgeot should not be a 1er cru for chardonnay. I’ve never had a really good one, and I’ve had lots of bad ones. Flabby, indistinct.

This pretty much nails it. The acidity and minerality seem a step below what they should be and the fruit is just super vague lemon/butter. I will return to the remaining wine this evening to see if anything’s improved.

They were serving the '11 Meursault Blagny on Emirates on the way home over the weekend. Drinking very nicely.

Ironically my first premoxed WB was a 1990 Louis Latour C-C consumed circa 1998

I am not happy with this thread. My wife wanted to get me a bottle of Pinot for our 10 year and a wine friend strongly suggested this. I don’t drink much Burg but was excited to open it somewhere down the line.
image.jpeg

I mean, Drouhin and Jadot also make domaine Morgeot, and those wines aren’t such hot stuff either. Not denying that LL may be sort of crappy (my experience is mostly with the reds, which generally underperform their appellation but not their price point). But you’ve hit the tripple whammy of mediocre producer, mediocre vintage and bad terroir, and that’s how bad burgundy happens.

I actually had my first one on Friday and thought it was a good QPR. It was a 2014 Montagny Premier Cru La Grande Roche. Clean, but with strong mineral notes and balanced acidity. Perfect with goat cheese stuffed pasta in a herb sauce.

If I read correctly vintage 2012 ?

This shouldn´t be a bad wine … but I doubt it will be ready at age 10y, better with 20 years!

There are lots of good white Morgeots. Tête du Clos from Vincent Dancer, Abbaye de Morgeot from Marchand-Tawse, the Vigne Blanche from Château de la Maltroye, the white Morgeot from Thomas Morey. All of those are neither flabby nor indistinct.

And as already said, Morgeot is a huge vineyard with lots of different parcels. Obviously there are better and worse locations for Chardonnay, respectively Pinot Noir.

I have had some lovely bottles of that wine. Different vintages of course, but still lovely drinking.

Good to hear, thanks