Who's got budbreak?

1/2 inch to 1 inch on chard. Pinot just burst last week.

Stage Gulch between Petaluma Gap and Carneros.
image.jpg

That’s enough to lose sleep over on a cold night.

I saw our first Grenache budbreak this weekend. A few warm days away from leafing out. This is two weeks earlier than the last few years.
The Syrah and Mourvedre is still tight with a couple weeks to go.
It has been mild at altitude (2500ft) this winter.

We have full budbreak throughout our vineyard (Pinot and Chard) in coastal Santa Cruz Mountains, and it is the most even I have seen in a long time. We are actually a week to two weeks late! Nine years out of ten, we do not get frost from here on out–let’s hope this is one of the nine!

The Cab was tight yesterday - this is going to be one of those years where there are 3 weeks between my 2 table grape vines and the serious stuff. Table grapes are leafed out. Sometimes it’s days, sometimes it is weeks.
I’ll have to look at my vintage notes to see if this is indicative of any trend for the coming growing season.

We hit 82 degrees here this afternoon, and the entire day was warm. Let’s see…going to head out there now.

A balmy 74 here in So Hum

Q tips on most vines

Frost season :astonished:

To be fair… This is just my back yard in SoCal and these aren’t wine making grapes… Just Thompson & Conchord

On an interesting sidenote, I have my two oldest vines that are ruby seedless that it looks like I have to rip out. Termites got to them and they’re worthless now… Oh well.

After some very warm weather (hit 82 here on Friday) mixed with light rain showers off and on this week, I now have some buds that have broken on the Cabernet. At least it looks like no frost for the foreseeable future.

There is budbreak in my neighbor’s backyard tempranillo vineyard in Salinas.