Who knows a Northern Rhône producer with a broad lineup?

+1. He even makes a Merlot!

Thank you all! The time difference makes it a bit tricky to answer everyone in due time but, make no mistake, I’m immensely thankful for all your suggestions. Two Berserkers have even offered to put me in contact with domaines with whom they are acquainted and I hope to make it to both places, in Tain and Chavanay. I’ll be sure to post the results when we get back.

Thanks again everyone [cheers.gif]

Commercial post - Apologies, but I feel compelled to reply to an earlier post in this thread.

to Tom Keim,

I saw your post, in which you wrote “Don’t trust the local importers to make an appointment for you - 50% of the time they forget or just won’t do it for consumers (unless you are a retailer or restauranteur)”.

I am sorry if you have had poor experiences with “local importers” arranging visits and tasting. In my own business, I am flattered when anybody wants to visit somebody I represent. Everybody that works for me knows that such requests are to be taken seriously and honored when at all possible. There was a time when I joked that 5% of my work time was spent scheduling consumer visits to Domaine du Pegau in Chateauneuf-du-Pape… except it was not a joke. Even today it is unusual for a week to go by without such a request.

to all board members: If you ever want to visit any producer represented by Hand Picked Selections, please let me know and I will do whatever I can to accommodate your requests.

Dan Kravitz,
Hand Picked Selections, Inc.

IIRC, we tasted 20+ wines there. [wow.gif]

Very generous and kind offer, Dan. Thank you. [cheers.gif]

If you want Ampuis, I would recommend Stephane Ogier. A fairly wide range of reds and whites.

Dan,

That’s very nice of you. Had I known, I would have worked with you. We do have appointments coming up at Pegau and Beaucastel. Dinner one night at La Table de Sorgues.

Steve

There is a nice posting about a visit to Cave de Tain somewhere in this forum.

Dan. Our agent here in Vancouver, Trialto/Liquid Arts sent Pegau a very nice e mail trying to set up a visit for myself and a few friends to visit in 2010. We had no reply from the Domaine so we went to the store in the town run by Pegau and met a large man from the Domaine about a visit and was told PAS POSSIBLE. He was stubborn and rude and basically told us to F off.

A few days later he let us buy some wine but still treated us like shit. We spent about a thousand euros on bottles of Capo and Laurence which he pocketed. Guess what he said when I asked for a reciept?

Pas Possible.

Sounds like Paul Feraud (father of Laurence). He was very nice to us when we visited (despite the language barrier)…Must have been a bad day, although I’m not sure that being unable to accommodate you for a visit that day is the same thing as telling you to F off. He pocketed the money you gave him because he owns the winery. (Where else would the money go, but into the owner’s pocket?)

No it was not Paul. I immediately went on line to find a photo of him to see. Had to be a lacky. In their defense it was during the Vendage, but I expect people to be civil. He was the only rude person we met in 3 weeks in the South.

Not being able to give us a receipt of some sort was unacceptable. I imagine that it was 1000 euros Laurence and co never saw.