Who are the new up and coming Burgundy producers

Jean-Baptiste Ponsot in Rully. His white 1er Cru Molesme 2014 (18€ at the domaine I think) is great, I might have bought 10 bottles at the wine shop by now (2 more today), kept coming back… His red Rully 2015 is the best young Bourgogne I’ve tasted in years. Also bought 2 more today. It’s more or less the first time I have the great Pinot aromas that I love in a sub 30-40€ wine (this is 17€ at the wine shop, I guess 12-13€ at the domaine).

I was going to buy a bunch of Dureuil-Janthial wines (not sure if they are known or what, but if you don’t know them, I strongly suggest trying some!), but tasting Ponsot had me put my order on hold. I believe it was Jancis Robinson who had listed Ponsot in one of her “producers to watch” list. I can only agree in this case.

Alain

The Gerard Mugneret wines I have tasted have been spectacular over the past 3-4 years. I’m not sure, but I believe his son took over the winemaking duties a few years back. Panzer could probably answer that. I believe he imports his stuff.

Maybe not an up and comer, but similar to Lamarche, a domaine with new life.

Those wines have been very good for some time. I believe that Pascal took over in 2005 or so.

I’ve liked what I’ve tried from Domaine Chantereves - bourgogne blanc & rouge, Pommard, and NSG Damodes. The lower end wines are good value

Also Arnaud Mortet at Domaine Denis Mortet is producing solid wines at fair prices.

Hudelot Noellat, Cecile Tremblay, Cheurlin Noellat, Mortet, Lamarche, Lachaux… if this is your up and comings… you only drink Rousseau, DRC and Lalou … just like saying Hampstead is up and coming in London… because you leave in Kensington or Chelsea…

OP asked for “next generation of stars” not unheralded or little known or sleeper producers … thus some of the responses you see.

1 Like

Arnaud Mortet’s wines are quite expensive here, $100ish for village, $175ish for 1er crus and $300-$750ish for the grand crus. I haven’t had a bottle of Arnaud’s wine so can’t speak to the quality.

Like Matthew pointed out, the OP wanted to discuss the next generation of stars. If you define stars relatively narrowly, it’s pretty likely that the next generation of stars will be from domaines with impressive holdings that are already making good wine but then take another step. Those listed in the thread seem like relatively good suggestions. Sure you could argue that some of these domaines are already stars like Tremblay but there’s a marked difference between trying to buy say Roumier en primeur vs most of these producers. If you don’t think this is a worthwhile topic then there’s a very good “Red Burgundy sleepers” thread that should fit the bill.

I really enjoyed the Cote de Nuits Villages wine by Etienne Julien. I have a bottle each of his NSG village and Bousselots to try as well.

I couldn’t agree with you any more.

We had the Ponsot Molesme 2012 when we visited Burgundy and we were glad we had three bottles shipped back to Texas because we couldn’t find it here. Eventually we found it in New York but that didn’t help me in Texas. I tracked down the distributor and we were able to figure out how to get a case of the 2014 vintage here. Outstanding wine.

Do you know what vintage Maxime started making the wines at this domaine?

Claire Naudin

Prices indicate this domaine isn’t such a big secret. Maybe it’s just a U.S. pricing thing.

claire naudin makes fantastic wines but they are indeed priced too high in the US market. she is the wife of jean yves bizot. the former assistant of bizot, marc soyard, is making fantastic wines in dijon under the domaine de la cras label. unfortunately they are also over priced here as well.

Just did some Googling and it seems the transfer happened in 2010. Anyone know who made the wines at Georges Noellat before 2010?

I guess his father? I met them both at the domaine last year - the father was clearly impressed with what his son had achieved in such a short period of time. My feeling was that the father was more concerned with the family’s holdings in Champagne than in Burgundy. Very down to earth people.

No, it was his grandmother.

He did a stage with Emmanuel Rouget in 2009 and vinified his first vintage at G. Noellat in 2010.

marc soyard is definitely a name to watch.

Not all Claire Naudin’s wines are expensive here in Quebec, Canada …