Where would you eat your last sushi in Los Angeles?

Geez Ken, I had no idea about your son. May things go smoothly and wishing your family and son a speedy recovery. As far as sushi goes, my rec is not a “last meal” place, but a super solid and terrific affordable rec for you is Sushi Nishi-ya in Glendale. It’s a small place, where Omakaze will run you about $100/pp. I also love going to the counter at Z Sushi in Alhambra/San Marino, an easy close jog for you. Ito-san (Toshi) is your man. Corkage is $10. If you spend more than $75/pp I’d be impressed. Again these are not die for places, just excellent solid stuff in our neck of the woods.

Bouchon is good for oysters. Walking distance from urasawa too. Good luck to your son.

If urasawa is too expensive for your guests, you could do mori or n/naka. Both really good at half the price.

or
http://www.blueplatesantamonica.com/bpo

Thanks, Gregg. I appreciate the other ideas. Nishi-ya is on our list anyway (I work about 2 miles from there) as a couple of friends want to go there with us, and we are definitely going back to Akatora in Alhambra for Omakaze because Nate loves that place. I’m definitely thinking about Urasawa, too.

We haven’t gone to Z Sushi, but have certainly passed it nearly every day, so we will check it out as well.

In general, we are trying to get out as much as possible since we will both be house-bound afterwards, for at least a little while. Tonight we’re going to the Wiltern to see Father John Misty and getting some bibimbap…

Thanks, Ryan. Have been wanting to try n/naka…

Shunji

I really like Water Grill for oysters/raw bar.

Yamakase in la is a good choice for that last meal type sushi dinner. Watched the chef break down a whole tuna just to serve us the toro next to other cuts. Not quite the Urasawa interior and only sits like a dozen but up there in quality (at least 18 months ago when we went.)

Thanks, all. All great inputs.

Are they still open? I heard Yama had some serious legal issues going on. If he is still open, I’ll go back. I enjoyed my meal there.

I can’t speak to the quality of this list, especially since they mentioned us :wink:, but it recommends Sugarfish. Anyone been?

Still open.

If you like poorly formed, overly wet and warm rice with oddly cut fish. I would recommend it [snort.gif] [snort.gif]

On a whim, we tried Sugarfish in DTLA last week on our way to a concert. Not a memorable experience, but we found it okay. Did not remind me of my one lunch at Nozawa a few years ago.

Last night we went to Nishi Ya and had a lovely time, with a few of the selections being absolutely mind-blowing. Still trying to get in one or two last experiences but our schedules have conspired to keep Urasawa from happening. But we hope to squeeze in lunch at Kimagure in Pasadena next week, on Fu’s recommendation.

Urasawa +1

Sushi Gen is also quite good.

Contrary to Fu’s opinion, Sugarfish is very good IMO. Different strokes for different folks I guess. That said, it’s certainly not the best sushi in LA by a long shot.

No offense, but Sugarfish is the worst sushi you can get for that price point, no doubt about it. You’d really be safer at KazuNori, their sister restaurant, at a fraction of the cost.

Urasawa if it’s his last sushi meal. Let him go out with a bang.

If you are down behind the Orange Curtain, Taiko in Irvine is an institution. Off the 405 @ Jeffrey.