Where to dine in Paris update

Gotta say that I was really disappointed with L’as du fallafel. It was highly recommended by everybody and anybody and I thought it was bland, greasy and unappetizing. So did my wife and kids. After we ate it, my wife and I looked at each other in disappointment and wondered why we wasted the calories. Try Taim in NYC for great fallafel.

Agree with Mike, but it’s likely because we have access to good falafel in NYC.

I never understood the place myself. I think it’s just the novelty of having falafel in paris. I feel really bad for the place right across the narrow street from l’as. So I tried it once. It’s exactly the same. But no lines.

I was just over there and the line for L’as was over the top, needless to say I didn’t wait - is it as good, or better than Rainbow or Mamoun’s?

Taim is my go to in NYC, agree. I don’t get to eat a lot of falafel, but even with Taim’s cutesy good-for-Manhattan presentation, they were all just too bland and really lacked flavor when compared to L’As, imho.

even if it was (it’s not), you’d have to have your head examined if you’re coming from NYC to Paris to eat falafel

can’t wait to hear about your trip.

I don’t see it here, so I’ll throw out Willi’s Wine Bar. I think it was one of Michel Abood’s recommendations to me, and it was one of my favorite meals in France. Casual, but the food was very good. Great wine list, lots of Rhones.

I worked as a chef de parti at l’Arpege (Open in August) a few years ago. I highly recommend the place. Passard is a genius [worship.gif] with everything he does and was great to work for. He was at the restaurant running the show nearly every night. Not all three star Michelin’s can claim the same. Astrance is another great one. I have never eaten there but have met Barbot and participated in a cooking demonstration he did. Good guy, great talent. He was Passard’s sous chef for years and years. For affordable dining my wife and I really like Au Petit Tonnea in the seventh. Again, the chef/owner is there every night. She often comes out to meet diners and is delightful. Pretty sure she makes everything alone, if not nearly so. Incredible gratin.

would love to read about your time in the kitchen w/ Passard if you have chance. Can you start a new thread in epicurean? It’s my favorite restaurant.

Mamoun’s is my favorite in the US and better than anything I had in a week in Israel. L’as is as good as Mamoun’s but different, and maybe the entire package is better. Many more vegetables, with Iraqi overtones (like grilled eggplant). I’ve eaten there a dozen times, and never, ever had anything bland or greasy.

As far as going to Paris for fallafel, it’s not just the fallafel. There’s a historic flavor to the district which makes it all the more interesting. And if you still have room for a restaurant lunch on your fifth day in Paris, by all means, skip fallafel. I’m down to just grazing on Sunday afternoon after several days of rich meals and cheese whenever I want, and I look forward to the juxtaposition of the Orthodox in Paris and eating fallafel at the place du Voges.

Obviously, the best fallafel is a judgement call. I found Taim so-so compared to Mamoun’s.

Put me in the disgusting and strange camp, too. Last night’s dinner was was both. I will write more when I have a real computer. The meal we were served last night was one of the two worst meals I’ve eaten in Paris (a horrible meal at Senderen several years ago was the other) and we spend at least two weeks a year here. This time, a month. I like modern, inventive cooking as much as anyone. The meal last night was neither modern, nor inventive. Unless you like white vinegar. I love Michel Troisgros’ cuisine acidule (Troisgros is probably my favorite restaurant in the world). The wine pairings last night were equally bad. I like natural wine (as reasonably defined), but every wine, every one, was oxidative or spoiled. Some intentionally, some not. Except for the Pinot, which they claim is sold to them by the owner of Romanee Conti. That wine was subject to the Mollydooker shake before serving. Every glass served in the 2.5 hrs we were in the restaurant. The sweet goodbye was two different pieces if apple; one coated with Indian spices (more like pottery barn potpourri), which was vile and, as I commented to my wife after eating my piece, tasted like soap. After which, I ate the other piece and exclaimed, “I’m pretty sure the second one is soap!”

For the same co€t, €110/person, including wine, go to Akrame for a modern, incentive, and edible meal.

sarah - did you go? updates?

MK - your meal sounds worse than mine!

And to add injury to insult, I have had a nasty gastric problem since. No solid food yesterday (had to cancel Les Papilles) and will have to cancel Septime tonight, which is terribly disappointing. Hoping to rally for Passage 53 tomorrow and L’Ami Jean on Saturday before heading home. Haven’t left the apartment all day for fear of being without a toilet. I will say that the French are much more civilized about permitting pharmacists to dispense drugs that are prescription only in the US. A cocktail of Nifuroxazide, phloroglucinol (anti-spasmodic) and Loperamide seems to be working. Fingers crossed.

Le Chateaubriand was packed. Some people waited 2+ hrs for a table. Many French hipsters. The service was fine. The amuses were the best part of the meal, I think. A warm ‘salad’ of water cress with a barely poached oyster and undercooked/raw pork belly might have been the source of what ails me. Cabillaud was pretty good with preserved lemon, but not in the same league with the inventive and delicious cabillaud we were served at Akrame a week ago. The final savory dish, magret (and heart) de canard was an abomination. The magret itself was fine (how hard is it to screw up magret?), but it was served with cucumber slices in white vinegar. A train wreck served accompanied by sparkling cider. The dessert was some sort of sweet/savory semifreddo that was tasteless, served with two oxidized wines. Oh, and I forgot to mention the worst wine of all: a copper/orange, fully oxidized sancerre that tasted more like vermouth than Sauvignon Blanc. Mind you, I believe these wines were intentionally selected to be avant garde, or something.

The irony is that we were booked to go last year, but they flaked on our confirmation, so we were pleasantly surprised when we had an easy time making a reservation this year.

I agree that the food at Willi’s is better than it needs to be. I’ve had a couple of good meals there. That said, there are so many places to try that I’m not rushing back.

BY coincidence, we ate there the night after (21st). Loved it, excellent food and service, great atmosphere. Sorry you had to miss it.

Happy to read that you had a good meal at Septime. I look forward to going there next trip. Fortunately, I rallied for very good diners at Passage 53 and L’Ami Jean. Did you have any other meals worth mentioning?

I am in Paris with my family for 4 nights in May. We are looking to find one place to go that will be quite nice…there are only three (my wife and 7 year old) of us so looking to find a place where I can get out for under 300 euros…I was looking at Akrame…is that possible. Any other ideas?
Also, any smaller simple places that are most visits…
We are staying in the 2nd district.
Thanks

Hi David,
Akrame is €110 for the menu gastronomic, including wine pairings (€70, without). They also offer a version with one or two fewer courses. When we ate there in October, there were no course option or ala carte menu, which may or may not be important with a 7 year old.

I thought I’d briefly revisit this discussion from three years ago. My wife and I are about half way through a 6 week eating binge (NYC, London, and Paris) and returned to Le Chateaubriand last night to see if things were different than the meal I posted about, above. Fortunately, the meal we ate last night was as different as could be from the one three years back. Each dish was smartly and creatively conceived and well executed. Most were interesting and delicious. We liked it very much and will return.

That’s great to read as he’s clearly talented - maybe it just took a few years to figure out what worked. Is the wine list still suffocated by vin naturels?

Yes, still a lot of orange and natural wine (which seems to be the case at many of the places we like to eat here, including Vivant, Septime, Le 6 Paul Bert, Yard, Bones, Philou, et al), but seemingly every place has a good selection of Cru Bojo. At Le Chateaubriand, we drank '11 Foillard Morgon CdP. In addition to a glass of orange Jura Chardonnay sparkler… Food was good, though.